: The TRUTH behind Extended Warranties

icejava
06-21-11, 12:50 PM
Just wanted to inform anyone out there looking to buy an Extended Warranty. Something you will probably NOT know until you try to use it.

I purchased my 6 year extended warranty from National in May 2009 for my 08 EXT (which I purchased new). I was told that the warranty is VALID until May 2015. Which sounds right. WRONG!!! I was just informed from Stealership that the warranty is 6 years from the "in-service date" which is USUALLY earlier than the purchase date. "In-Service" means when the dealership did any warranty related work on the vehicle.

In-Service Date: Aug 2007
Purchase Date: Jan 2009
Extended 72 month Warranty Purchase Date: May 2009
Standard Warrany Expires: Aug 2011
Extended 72 month Warranty Expires: Aug 2013

So basically, my 6 year extended warranty is only 2 years. This is ridiculous!

RippyPartsDept
06-21-11, 01:24 PM
I count four years, not two... but yeah that does stink...

icejava
06-21-11, 02:50 PM
I count four years, not two... but yeah that does stink...

Its 2 years. The extended doesn't kickin until Standard Warranty expires.

I was told if I purchased the Extended Warranty AFTER Standard Warranty Expires, then you get the full 6 years.

the cadillac man
06-21-11, 03:46 PM
that really sucks cause you thought you got 6 years of coverage instead you got 2 years of coverage

RippyPartsDept
06-21-11, 06:05 PM
what i don't understand is why people would buy an extended warranty when they've got a few years left of the bumper to bumper?

i know you've got to buy the GMPP plans before your B2B runs out (and some other plans are the same way) but years in advance?

doesn't seem to make sense...

sorry you got screwed...

2007XTSDub
06-21-11, 06:09 PM
What did they soak you on that plan?

Just wanted to inform anyone out there looking to buy an Extended Warranty. Something you will probably NOT know until you try to use it.

I purchased my 6 year extended warranty from National in May 2009 for my 08 EXT (which I purchased new). I was told that the warranty is VALID until May 2015. Which sounds right. WRONG!!! I was just informed from Stealership that the warranty is 6 years from the "in-service date" which is USUALLY earlier than the purchase date. "In-Service" means when the dealership did any warranty related work on the vehicle.

In-Service Date: Aug 2007
Purchase Date: Jan 2009
Extended 72 month Warranty Purchase Date: May 2009

So basically, my 6 year extended warranty is only 2 years. This is ridiculous!

Sent from Android.

Zhariak
06-21-11, 08:41 PM
I got my extended warranty from the dealership that sold me my vehicle...

Love it. It wasn't to costly, and it paid for itself on the first scheduled maintenance after my original warranty ran out... Since then, it's paid for itself ten fold...

Sorry to hear your luck.

icejava
06-22-11, 11:54 AM
What did they soak you on that plan?

Actually, I can't complain too much. Long story but I negotiated with the purchase of the vehicle. But sales guy still lied. He said May 2015. I believe the cost would have been around $3-4K.

Jgos929
06-22-11, 06:50 PM
I bought my 09 with 38K on the odo and got an extended warranty. Even though I had the standard 4yr/50K I knew I would hit the 50K mark before the 4yr mark. I got a 4yr/100K extended warranty that went into effect the day I bought it, and it states that on the warranty paperwork. so I'm good till 2015 or 100K miles. Gotta read the fine print bro.

h2kool4tn
06-23-11, 12:05 PM
Most Extended ones only starts when you sign the contract and the miles counted at the contract time. If you happen to get such a great deal , then you need to read the fine prints.