: Garage door vs SRX hatch............

Smokin' SRX
06-20-11, 10:05 PM
Can't believe I did it! Hit the garage door opener button and didn't look in garage to see if hatch was shut! 3 deep scratches ! The mechanisms track attachment hit the hatch good. The rear wiper saved the rear glass but gave it's all...... (just the blade)

My body shop ( a pro friend's place) says $ 500 easy to sand/ paint. Coulda been worse.

NEW RULE in our home: last one to drive the X locks the doors upon entering house. Then if someone accidentally hits the hatch -open button, it won't go up, till doors are unlocked first...... We think that's what happened. gotta try something.

Be warned.

SS

chris13
06-20-11, 11:03 PM
Hi, so sorry to hear it. Maybe you read my earlier post. We did the same damn thing. Scratched our Black Raven paint right down to the bare metal. A little touch up paint dulled the pain a little until real fix.Other than that everything is good. Waxed the car last week with Collinite 845. Pretty shiny now and looking for some long lasting protection. Also have been considering some new floor mats,like Lloyds velourtex ,ebony with the new Cadillac crest embossed in them.Does anyone have them? Are they any bigger than the originals?
Again sorry for your damage, Especially because the back of the SRX is so nice looking. It'll be good as new again. See ya.

KevinOpp
06-21-11, 01:53 AM
sorry smokin'......that hurts......

GMJim
06-21-11, 06:15 AM
SS, That blows............Sorry

algiorda
06-21-11, 06:53 AM
That's a shame...sorry to hear it.

That reminds me of my wife's escapades with the garage door; TWO Freakin Times with her Subaru WRX. 1st time she decided to back out the garage and not wait for the door to go up all the way; she ripped the spoiler right off of the car. GGRRRRRR!!!! 2nd time, she decided "why the hell should I wait for the garage door to go up" and decided to back out the garage without pressing the garage door button; I had to replace the aluminum garage door!! GRRRRRRR!!!!!

Needless to say, she now parks in the driveway.....lol

btw.....oh and she is blonde!!!

Jake2010
06-21-11, 08:01 AM
Sorry to hear that SS, I feel your pain, I know how much you love your SRX!
She'll soon be like new again, fresh paint on the entire rear hatch and you'll never notice it!

Add me to the garage door list... I happen to get distracted pulling the car into the garage with the hatch up!!
My daughter had just gotten something out of the back and I got distracted. Luckily the hatch was set to 3/4,
the wiper arm was the highest point which hit the metal pull-down handle of the garage door. I was able to stop
immediately and did not reverse, I got out of the care and un-wedged the wiper arm.

Luckily, luckily, luckily.. the only damage was some garage door paint transferred to the wiper arm which I was able to get off!
Surprising just how quiet the car is with the hatch up!

TheCaptain
06-21-11, 11:27 AM
That sucks to hear fellas. But there is more then one reason that i back into the garage every time! :D

GMJim
06-21-11, 07:53 PM
Why? So if you forget your hatch is open, you'll tear the damn thing completely off?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?
hahahahahahahahahahaha..........

sube5186
06-21-11, 09:59 PM
I feel for you SS. I've often worried about doing this. That's one of the reasons I keep the remote in the car when it's in the garage. You might consider switching the button on the driver's door to "Off" whenever the car's in the garage. It's easy enough to turn back on whenever you get back into the car.

Sube

TheCaptain
06-21-11, 11:14 PM
Why? So if you forget your hatch is open, you'll tear the damn thing completely off?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?
hahahahahahahahahahaha..........

Nope, but we have 8x10 garage doors, so if i do leave it up and drive away, or in... i would have to be doing something really wrong to tear it off! :p

Smokin' SRX
06-22-11, 08:00 AM
Thanks for the sympathy folks. Went in just this AM to shop and will take 3 days total to get back. Entire hatch will be repainted and the Caddy emblems can be reused. My body shop is a long time bus. friend and is doing it for $500 total. His work always looks new!

Appreciate the tips and for now, we are gonna try the "lock it when you park in garage" method. Hatch will not open then, if remote is accidentally hit from house. Interestingly, my 2011 Yukon WILL open the rear hatch even with doors locked! GM has not standardized on this it seems.......

Will post outcome..

SS

cvettr/cts-v
06-22-11, 06:16 PM
Smokin', Sorry to hear of the incident but are you sure the hatch won't open with doors locked by hitting the hatch open/close button on the remote? I seem to recall being at a store locking the doors, and upon return opening the hatch with the remote to put the bags in first then having to unlock the doors with the remote. If locked doors cancels hatch from opening from remote there would be a lot of miffed women who go to malls take and drop off some packages and go back into mall all using only the hatch button to open and close hatch without having to lock and unlock doors also. Or maybe I'm just misunderstanding what you mean.

sube5186
06-22-11, 07:50 PM
Are you sure the hatch won't open with doors locked by hitting the hatch open/close button on the remote? I seem to recall being at a store locking the doors, and upon return opening the hatch with the remote to put the bags in first then having to unlock the doors with the remote.

Yes, you're correct. I do it all of the time myself. Locking the doors will NOT disable the rear hatch button on the remote. The only way to disable the button on the remote is to turn off the button on the interior of driver's door. This turns off the feature.....period. It won't open from the remote, the button on the door or even the touch pad over the license plate.

Sube

Smokin' SRX
06-22-11, 08:07 PM
Oh oh....

no, CVETTR/CTS-V, you did understand me! was I in shock from the accident when I tried it ?? Thought it would NOT open by remote, first, if doors were locked. (in other words, thought I first had to hit UNLOCK, then HATCH, on remote) . Was I out of range?? It's in body shop now so I cannot run out to try. Do I have to go to Plan "B" ??? (shutting OFF the switch on the drivers door to disable it when in garage)

Remember my Yukon works as YOU say. Thought my SRX was different! Help!

SS

Smokin' SRX
06-22-11, 08:12 PM
Sube, we crossed in the "stream". just saw your answer. OK so I have to go to my Plan "B" as you also say. Maybe my wife did it??? She doesn't recall (it was not a happy moment here....LOL) I will have to wait till Fri morning to see!

THX guys for the quick response We all need to know this COLD! Especially me!! LOL

SS

cvettr/cts-v
06-23-11, 05:36 PM
Glad there is an easy work-a-round for those who wish to have it that way. Soon you'll have it back and it'll be good as new.

daddie2k3
06-24-11, 02:26 PM
Yes I can say it opens when all doors are locked because I just LUCKED up yesterday and I went it the house and heard the horn blow to notify the doors locked I laid down and watched some tv and I remember I forgot something in the car and the hatch was open...I hit the button on remote while laying on my side but when I say I lucked up is because I normally don't pulled all the way in garage I just pull in just enough for garage door can close and I can't open hatch but this time and this time only I didn't pay attention on how far I pulled in and I pulled up enough that when I open hatch while laying down it missed door by INCHES!!....so I happy about that because I just seen this topic but haven't clicked on it so sorry to hear about yours SS!

Smokin' SRX
06-24-11, 09:31 PM
SHE'S BACK!! Looks new and painted hatch matches fenders perfectly!! Amazing what a pro can do.

Yes, wife turned OFF the switch on drivers lower door panel........and so will I from now on, whenever I park in garage. This action will indeed prevent an accidental opening of hatch in garage. Easy enough to turn switch on as you reach to hit memory seat button or close door.

Thx for all the support folks

SS

sube5186
06-24-11, 11:57 PM
SS, glad to hear they did a good job with the repair. Just wondering, I don't know what your comprehensive deductible is, but this should have been covered under that portion of your auto insurance. I don't believe comprehensive claims affect your rates. Of course if your deductible is $500, it doesn't really matter. Usually, you can reduce or even eliminate your comprehensive deductible with only a minor increase in premiums. I eliminated my comp deductible years ago and was amazed at the minor increase. Now, if something like this happens to me, or a cracked windshield, vandalism, etc., I pay nothing.

Just thought you may want to consider this.

Sube

Smokin' SRX
06-25-11, 11:29 AM
Thx for your good suggestions as usual SUBE ! I have full glass coverage (no deductible) but $500 Comp/$1000Collision deductibles. So no benefit to me here. I will inquire as to changing all Comp to zero, but I pay only $800 a year for $300/500 and everything else maxed out for my SRX insurance. I have a sterling driving record, am over 39, no under 25 drivers on policy, low yearly mileage, and have 2 other sleds also insured with them. Liberty Mutual Ins. Considered cheap for suburban NY state. LOL

SS

rdfrahm
11-28-11, 11:29 PM
Add me to the list of those that have been attacked by the garage door. The first time I was just stupid...figured the garage door would go up faster than the hatch...WRONG! Luckily it only gouged the section below the license plate and only cost me $125 to repair (I think my body man felt bad about charging me $8000 for the body work/paint on my project RX-7 LOL). But since then it's happened 3 or 4 more times...all accidentally. I finally realized I wasn't going to be able to prevent it so adjusted the the distance I pull into the garage to leave enough room for the hatch to go up with the garage door closed.

Rich

cadigirlchicago2
11-29-11, 04:58 PM
I did the same thing with my hatch - I was already in the garage and I had the hatch up, I went to close the garage door and the metal rod attached to the door hit the back and scratched a small part. I am sad to say early on I also hit the drivers front wheel section on the garage siding - that's gonna be a $900 body shop bill - just some scuffs and a very small dent. Now I totally use my parking assist, hate that I have 2 single garage bays, if I had one monster door this wouldn't have happened. The SRX is very wide....I barely have enough room on the left/right to pull in - always have to be very careful.

inspectorudy
12-01-11, 05:42 PM
It might just be my garage but with my hatch set to "3/4" it will not hit any of the door or its mechanisms. It will hit the door if I back out too fast and not wait for it to fully raise. Have you tried the 3/4 setting? My wife and I have a policy of putting the garage door down when we get parked so that there will be no oops moments.

hcvone
12-01-11, 05:45 PM
Can't believe I did it! Hit the garage door opener button and didn't look in garage to see if hatch was shut! 3 deep scratches ! The mechanisms track attachment hit the hatch good. The rear wiper saved the rear glass but gave it's all...... (just the blade)

My body shop ( a pro friend's place) says $ 500 easy to sand/ paint. Coulda been worse.

NEW RULE in our home: last one to drive the X locks the doors upon entering house. Then if someone accidentally hits the hatch -open button, it won't go up, till doors are unlocked first...... We think that's what happened. gotta try something.

Be warned.

SS

Don't feel bad my father has hit his with the garage door about 100 times, I think he believes that it's part of the auto closing system. :(