: HELP - is my dealer screwing with me

Hockeyref
06-20-11, 06:21 PM
So a 6 weeks ago I had a coolant leak, had to get my water pump replaced, had to haggle the price down to make it reasonable (somewhat). I noticed that my coolant is leaking AGAIN, now the tank under the rad is leaking, so its only 50 bucks more to do the whole rad so I might as well. BUT they are trying to figure out why my system keeps developing a leak. Pressure tested the cylinders and nothing found, now they want to pressure test the cooling system once its back together. I'm afraid the next step is a head gasket. Any suggestions out there? My bills are adding up WAY too quickly. Just bought the car in March and other than the cooling system it has been wonderful.

darkman
06-20-11, 06:32 PM
I am not sure what "tank under the radiator" you are talking about. I have had my radiator out of the car many times and there is no separate tank "under the radiator." In any event, there is no mystery as to why you have leaks - the GM radiators notoriously defective in this cars. Some folks have replaced theirs 3-4 times. (I went aftermarket, but it was not cheap.)

Hockeyref
06-20-11, 06:36 PM
Thanks for the quick reply darkman. I'm not sure on the tank either, have only had the car a few months. But only a few bucks more to replace the radiator so I have already committed to doing that. My fear is that they will find another leak somewhere and want to replace my headgasket. Gasket is cheap, labour is not. Are these engines known for head gasket problems?

darkman
06-20-11, 06:41 PM
My fear is that they will find another leak somewhere and want to replace my headgasket. Gasket is cheap, labour is not. Are these engines known for head gasket problems?

Nope.

Houdini
06-20-11, 07:00 PM
I bet once they get a new radiator in there you won't have a leak.

Hockeyref
06-20-11, 07:06 PM
That sounds encouraging, thanks. Dealer will do a pressure test on the cooling system once the new rad is in, sure hope that takes care of it.

kevm14
06-20-11, 10:58 PM
Are the end tanks not on the top and bottom of the radiator? Is that not the typical issue with these?

Hockeyref
06-20-11, 11:01 PM
Not sure, my car's sitting in the shop right now - hope to have it back soon...

cam3439
06-21-11, 06:36 AM
It sounds like they are talking about the end tanks that cap both ends of the radiator (upper and lower ends). I don't know if this is where these radiators develop the leak though.

AAIIIC
06-21-11, 07:53 AM
I'm sure the "tank under the radiator" is actually the bottom tank of the radiator. As already mentioned, the radiator has top and bottom "end tanks". There is no "tank under the radiator", there is just the radiator itself.

I noticed that my coolant is leaking AGAIN, now the tank under the rad is leaking, so its only 50 bucks more to do the whole rad so I might as well.
This comment confuses me. Did they offer to replace the "tank under the radiator", and then offer to replace the radiator itself for only $50 more? :confused:

BUT they are trying to figure out why my system keeps developing a leak. Pressure tested the cylinders and nothing found, now they want to pressure test the cooling system once its back together. I'm afraid the next step is a head gasket.
I don't think there's any reason to think a head gasket would be next on the list.

Hockeyref
06-21-11, 01:35 PM
They told me the tank was leaking, another $58 to do the whole radiator while it was apart so I said ok. Should get the car back at the end of today, then will keep an eye on the coolant level - hopefully this will be the end of it as long as the coolant level stays up.

RADEoN
06-21-11, 10:11 PM
mine leaked from the tank too. Something tells me you A, didn't need a water pump, or B, the tech there broke the radiator somehow.

BirdmanTamu
06-21-11, 11:32 PM
The factory radiators have plastic top and bottom end tanks that are connected to the radiator via metal tabs. They leak at that interface between metal tab and plastic; usually biased towards the return side.

Hockeyref
06-22-11, 09:54 PM
Got the car back today with the new rad no leaks so far but will have to keep an eye on it for the next while. Now myTPM sensors won't work after disconnecting the battery. They tried to get the module to read the sensors but no luck even though the sensors are working and doing a reset. Waiting for a response from GM

Hockeyref
06-25-11, 11:11 PM
So my TPM sensors started working the next day, coolant seems to have stopped leaking - all is good. Thanks everyone for you input, much appreciated.