: Tire Shenanigans...

thebigjimsho
06-20-11, 12:56 AM
So, I was in tire limbo. I decided to get 18" TSWs for track wheels and sticking with stockers for DD. My front PS2s were toast from last year's track days but my rears were good. New Pilot Super Sports were not available in the proper V sizes so I looked elsewhere. I could either spend $800+ on 2 new front PS2s or get a new set of Hankook evo V12s for not much more. I decided to try the Hankooks to see what all the hubbub was about.

I only have a couple hundred miles and said nothing for the first few days to let the oils burn off and the rubber set in. Initial impressions:

The tires are quiet and comfortable. Not a revelation over the PS2s, but better.
Initial grip on hard launches were poor but they've gotten better as they've worn in. But I don't think they'll ever launch as hard as the PS2s.
Turn-in and cornering control is where the Michelins really outshine the Hankooks. C&D mentioned in its massive comparo from '09 that the Hankooks feel slower than they are. The sidewalls are softer and don't translate as much as the PS2s. There will be less control on initial turn-in. But the PS2 has always impressed me in that area so I need time to relearn the V on this new tire.
Now, C&D mentioned the Hankook has good max lateral grip and will be a great performer on track. I have not really wrung out the Hankook yet, but I tend to believe Tire Rack and C&D.

I'll keep this refreshed with any new feelings I get for this tire. Ultimately, under any normal driving, these tires are great. Most will be happy with these tires, I'd imagine. Especially at their bargain basement price.

I may be attending V-Day without the slicks I ordered so I may have a evaluation of these evos on track...

thebigjimsho
06-20-11, 12:58 AM
Oh, and for you goobers, the tire tread doesn't look nearly as cool as the PS2's...

Caddy Wagon
06-20-11, 02:47 AM
Cool. What size and offset 18" TSW's did you end up getting?

thebigjimsho
06-20-11, 03:59 PM
18x9.5 w/ 40+ offset...

baabootoo
06-20-11, 11:59 PM
Oh, and for you goobers, the tire tread doesn't look nearly as cool as the PS2's...

You do raise the pressures up for tracking, right? I read here 43F/40R and that works great, and no more outer scrubbing (bad).

Teutonaddict
06-21-11, 07:31 AM
can you post a link to the rims please

These aren't TBJS's TSW's, but rather the inspiration from other boardmembers:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/attachments/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum-2009/74245d1302060260-looking-recommendations-road-track-tires-img_0439.jpg

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/attachments/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum-2009/74246d1302060768-looking-recommendations-road-track-tires-img_0425.jpg

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/attachments/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum-2009/74426d1302564386-looking-recommendations-road-track-tires-tsw-wheels.jpg

All three pix stolen from very informative thread here:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum-2009/219814-looking-recommendations-road-track-tires.html

dqw1
06-21-11, 08:20 AM
Good review because I get mine put on tomorrow!

thebigjimsho
06-21-11, 09:00 AM
You do raise the pressures up for tracking, right? I read here 43F/40R and that works great, and no more outer scrubbing (bad).The problem was I scrubbed off too much of the outer fronts before I got to the higher tire pressures. It was alarming how quickly I wore off the tread. Pumping them way up in front allowed me to finish the day and I drove on those tires the rest of the fall and into this spring. But I wouldn't have tracked them again.

I think I was the first here to mention about needing to pump up the front pressures. Or one of the first...

thebigjimsho
06-21-11, 09:05 AM
can you post a link to the rims pleaseI called Discount Tire Direct. wheelsnext.com also has them but for both sites I don't think you can order them without entering a car to apply them too. And, then, they don't list the V as a fit.

But as you can see, they do fit. I told the Discount Tire rep others had that exact wheel and they fit and we ordered them up.

thebigjimsho
06-21-11, 09:06 AM
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/attachments/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum-2009/74245d1302060260-looking-recommendations-road-track-tires-img_0439.jpg

Now I know what my V will look like!

Ross L
06-21-11, 10:55 AM
I ordered the HAnkooks friday, arrived monday. WOW, havent mounted yet, but IMO pattern looks better than Ps2's.

thebigjimsho
06-21-11, 01:43 PM

I ordered the HAnkooks friday, arrived monday. WOW, havent mounted yet, but IMO pattern looks better than Ps2's.Yeah....no....

SPEED74V
06-21-11, 08:34 PM
Those TSW's look great for the track!! Now - do I get the Gunmetal or Bronze for my Silver CTS-V??

thebigjimsho
06-21-11, 11:46 PM
Matte Gunmetal looks soooooooooooooooooooo good!

http://i53.twitgoo.com/1gndc1.jpg

http://i55.twitgoo.com/16hpw5.jpg

thebigjimsho
06-21-11, 11:47 PM
And the wheels are so frackin' light, tis so nice! The wheels came boxed up, 2 wheels per box. I was carrying those boxes around like I was some mad muscleman...

thebigjimsho
07-06-11, 12:49 PM
As I mentioned in another thread, the V still feels like the V with the Hankooks. They hook better on launch than when new but still not as well as the PS2s. As the tire has burned off the oils and has settled in, the turn-in and handling firmed up but they still can't touch the PS2 in communication although max grip is still tough to compare. A great tire for the price but not quite as good as the PS2.

cts-v ls6
07-06-11, 11:03 PM
OEM Michelins on my 2010 V toast after 25k miles. Actually started leaking through the inside sidewall! Looked at several possibilities for new tires. No way I'm spending $1700 for 4 tires for a daily driver and have them last 25k miles. So I bought used Continentals off the web. All 4 have 75% tread life left. Total investment, tax, freight to my door, mounted and balanced locally (and they did NOT scratch my rims): $420.00. And the tires are quiet and so much smoother than the Michelins. I don't get the Michelin "chatter" when backing out of the garage in the morning from the sidewalls on steroids.

I'll never buy new tires again. Too expensive.

Jack

killer67
07-06-11, 11:15 PM
Jack,

Which Continental tires did you get?

vseries
07-06-11, 11:40 PM
And the wheels are so frackin' light, tis so nice! The wheels came boxed up, 2 wheels per box. I was carrying those boxes around like I was some mad muscleman...

You are!!!

tabio42
07-07-11, 01:45 AM
Good review. And...

'I swear I'll pistol whip the next guy who says shenanigans.'

Teutonaddict
07-07-11, 12:34 PM
'I swear I'll pistol whip the next guy who says shenanigans.'

Great, now I'm downloading Super Troopers. Had to see where the quote was from, and when I saw more dialogue it sucked me in...

thebigjimsho
07-07-11, 12:41 PM
OEM Michelins on my 2010 V toast after 25k miles. Actually started leaking through the inside sidewall! Looked at several possibilities for new tires. No way I'm spending $1700 for 4 tires for a daily driver and have them last 25k miles. So I bought used Continentals off the web. All 4 have 75% tread life left. Total investment, tax, freight to my door, mounted and balanced locally (and they did NOT scratch my rims): $420.00. And the tires are quiet and so much smoother than the Michelins. I don't get the Michelin "chatter" when backing out of the garage in the morning from the sidewalls on steroids.

I'll never buy new tires again. Too expensive.

JackUnless for a very special reason, I wouldn't buy an entire set of tires on the web. Good luck playing roulette with where you buy your tires from. Too easy to get shafted. Too many potential issues that aren't apparent visually. Tires that have broken sidewalls, pinhole leaks, etc. Not worth it.

haterinc
07-07-11, 09:03 PM
Poop = used Internet tires... These aren't 90's Hondas although that's a stellar price ;)

(eagerly awaiting BJS to "like this" like every other post above lol)

cts-v ls6
07-07-11, 11:01 PM
killer67-Continental Sport Contact 2's, 255/40/ZR19 on the front and 285/35/ZR19 on the back.

bigjimsho and haterinc...each to his own. I've bought 14 cars and trucks including this last 2010 V and $$$$$$ of parts over the net. Not to mention numerous Christmas and birthday presents for the family. Never hurt yet. (there's always a first time).

But I can put 4 sets of the used tires on before I get to a new set price. I drive about 50k miles/year (1000 miles/week) The only thing I use more than tires is gasoline.

Jack

haterinc
07-08-11, 09:36 AM
No offense Jack maybe I'm just jealous lol

aj660
07-08-11, 06:43 PM
Unless for a very special reason, I wouldn't buy an entire set of tires on the web. Good luck playing roulette with where you buy your tires from. Too easy to get shafted. Too many potential issues that aren't apparent visually. Tires that have broken sidewalls, pinhole leaks, etc. Not worth it.

I've purchased many tires on eBay from only those with good feedback. eBay also protects you against misrepresentation or fraud etc .. There's no need to worry about getting ripped off buying "almost anything" on the Internet.

I purchased many cars on EBay including a Hennessey Viper and a $100k+ Benz a few years ago. I never had a problem.

thebigjimsho
07-10-11, 05:44 PM
I bought a PS2 from a well regarded tire seller on ebay for my '04. It had a pinhole leak on the edge of the sidewall against the tread. They wanted me to send it back on my dime before they'd refund or replace it. For the $70 I paid for it, I didn't bother and just got a couple new rears instead...

thebigjimsho
07-13-11, 08:33 AM
275/35 18 Hankook Z214 C91s. Yes, all around...

thebigjimsho
09-05-11, 11:30 PM
Added note on the Hankooks:

I drove up to Vermont today to evaluate the massive amount of damage Irene left behind. So many washed out roads and knocked out bridges, passable roads are like a patchwork of messiness.

What I noticed about the Hankooks as opposed to the PS2s was that I was more comfortable with the wet performance of the PS2. The communicative sidewalls help tell you when they will break free, much amplified in the rain. The Hankooks may have the same wet grip but it'll break free more quickly and it will be more difficult to control.

HOWEVER, where the Hankook will be an improvement over the PS2 is in standing water. The PS2 pattern channels water away very well. The Hankooks cut through and channel the water up and out. It actually makes it a lot more noisy because the water is hitting your wheel wells instead of out the side. But, there is a limit to how much water the PS2 can channel out. The Hankooks can go through deep standing water without drama. It was very confidence inspiring and I was doing quick bursts to 80 in a downpour. It was actually quite fun. I also had another tire that was as good in standing water on my V1, the Dunlop SP Sport Maxx. Let's compare tread patterns...

Hankook evo:

http://www.tirerack.com/images/tires/hankook/hk_ventus_v12evo_ci1_l.jpg

Dunlop SP Sport Maxx:

http://www.tirerack.com/images/tires/dunlop/du_sp_sportmaxx_ci1_l.jpg

So, anywho, my overall analysis:

For wet roads, the PS2 is a little better. For flooded roads or roads with standing water, the Hankooks are much better. What are you likely to see more of and how much compromise do you want??

LitiGATOR
09-06-11, 12:00 AM
I bought the Hankooks last week and had them mounted and installed a couple weeks ago. I've put about 100 miles on them so far and while they don't handle as good as the PS2s, the drop-off overall isn't that noticeable. The traction is good, but hard to tell if it's as good as the PS2s. But, for less than half the price, I'm happy so far.

thebigjimsho
09-06-11, 02:28 PM
I'll still be switching to Pilot Super Sports when they come in our sizes. But these are an excellent bridge to that time...

LitiGATOR
09-06-11, 08:43 PM
Update: It's been raining all day here in South Florida, which means lots of standing water. The tires do perform awesome in the puddles and in the rain.

nsaness
09-06-11, 08:54 PM
Jim, I loved meeting you at the cruise to the Stadium i Garrison New York when you were on the way home from picking up your new car, and I respect that you drive your car far harder than most ever dream of. I love that you stir up trouble when you think it is warranted or even just fun. I also respect that you have a long history of loving and driving many performance cars, so you know that of which you speak is true...
Props laid out, Hanpoops are a bargain for what you paid, but they are not a top notch tire by any scientific, factual test. :P I like my Michelins and I think the price of admission is worth it, for those who need it. You my friend need it..... Keep your track tires of course, but you will be back to Michelins rather it is PSS or PS2.

thebigjimsho
09-06-11, 10:44 PM
Jim, I loved meeting you at the cruise to the Stadium i Garrison New York when you were on the way home from picking up your new car, and I respect that you drive your car far harder than most ever dream of. I love that you stir up trouble when you think it is warranted or even just fun. I also respect that you have a long history of loving and driving many performance cars, so you know that of which you speak is true...
Props laid out, Hanpoops are a bargain for what you paid, but they are not a top notch tire by any scientific, factual test. :P I like my Michelins and I think the price of admission is worth it, for those who need it. You my friend need it..... Keep your track tires of course, but you will be back to Michelins rather it is PSS or PS2.I absolutely agree and have said as much that the PS2s are better than the Hankooks in almost every way. But, as I said in post #1, this is a bridge to the Pilot Super Sport. I bought the V2, yes, but I'm not made of money. Plus, I'm a tire nerd. I wanted the PSS but they just aren't available. And there was sooooo much talk on the Hankooks, I figured I'd give them a try to actually see what these tires can do and not just listen to the amateur opinions of most of these Hankook chuckleheads. I think my next career is working at the TireRack...

In the spring, when the PSSs are available, the Hankooks will be the subject of a fun YouTube video. Or, if there is still a ton of tread, I'll sell them.

Kadonny
09-07-11, 10:12 AM
Thanks for the thoughts on these Jim, I feel the exact same way about mine. I've been running them for a year and a half. They give you 80-90% of the performance of the PS2s for half the price. That's good in my book. I'll definitely get another set when mine wear out (next spring probably).