Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1996 Cadillac Seville SLS - Replacing water pump belt HELP!

13K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  vincentm 
#1 ·
I need to replace a water pump belt i have pictures it seems so simple even a female can do it! So help me out :)

this is the engine im working with :
Auto part Engine Vehicle Car Automotive engine part

One day while driving, i heard a loud pop and the car overheated, lifted up the hood to find the belt wound around and tangled like so:
Tire Automotive tire Auto part Automotive wheel system Rim

Now my main obstacle is this piece circled, my tool doesnt fit to take apart anything to change the belt (not like i know where to start):
Auto part Vehicle Automotive exterior Car Engine

Well anyway i need basically a how to on changing this, been to auto zone surprisingly their manual wasnt all that helpful. I bought :

Tire Automotive tire Automotive wheel system Bumper Auto part

and:

hopefully ive got what i need.. so after i tie up my hair, get ready to get my hands dirty, and pull up the hood, where do i go from there guys?

See less See more
#2 ·
Use a socket on the bolt head and an open end or box wrench on the nut. Loosen the nut and then pull the bolt out of the "dog bone" aka torque strut. Rotate it up and out of the way. Now look at the belt tensioner. There is a 1/4" square hole in the back side. Use the drive lug from a 1/4" breaker bar or ratchet to rotate it and relieve the tension to get the belt off. Inspect that tensioner closely. My guess is the bearing froze and you'll need to replace the tensioner. You are lucky that it did not melt the large drive pulley attached to the camshaft or that would need to be replaced as well.

#4 ·
Here's another look at the water pump drive setup. * The metal shroud is held on by three or 4 10mm fasteners - two nuts on the lower edge and one or two bolts through the top rear tang on the water crossover casting. Without a belt, the tensioner comes off by removing the two studs that the two nuts came off of. Slow but sure. Don't drop one......... Is the tensioner pulley frozen ??? If you know someone with a vise you can replace the pulley only for less than 1/2 the price of the tensioner assembly. The pulley comes off by removing the center bolt. (second attachment) Now, reach down and try to turn the water pump pulley - just barely visible down in the area underneath where the shroud was. Hopefully it turns easily, or you're already in over your head.............in your case that's shop work. W/P OK ? Using patience and a few magic words, work the new belt down around the W/P pulley. Replace the tensioner assembly and tighten the two studs. Using a suitable sized wrench on the raised square casting on the tensioner aluminum arm, lever the tensioner until you can work the belt over the pulley and around the large drive pulley. Now, with a good flashlight, MAKE SURE the belt is properly aligned in the 3 grooves in the W/P pulley - this is critical. You can run the engine and observe proper drive system performance with the shroud off - but replace it after testing - for safety.

* I just noticed - someone has removed the safety shroud - one less job to do.

You might want to subscribe your car to www.alldatadiy.com or find a real GM/Helm Service Manual on ebay - you'll NEED one or both.

Click on each picture to enlarge.

BTW................Welcome Aboard !!!!!!!!!!!.....................:welcome:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.