: DRL Out When Turn Signals On

sube5186
06-19-11, 01:50 PM
OK, my DRLs turn off on whichever side the turn signals are activated. That DRL comes back on as soon as the turn signal stops. I've seen this occur with a CTS on the road and just assumed it was normal. However, today I noticed a 2011 SRX in my rear view mirror. It was turning. Both DRLs stayed on while the turn signal was active. I know it was 2011 because it was Mocha Steel, a color that didn't come out until 2011. Now I'm wondering if there is something wrong with mine, or if they changed this for 2011. Can everyone with a 2010 please check theirs and let me know if this is normal? If it's supposed to work like this, no biggie. I just need to know if I have to get this looked at. Thanks!

Sube

stevec5375
06-19-11, 03:35 PM
OK, my DRLs turn off on whichever side the turn signals are activated. That DRL comes back on as soon as the turn signal stops. I've seen this occur with a CTS on the road and just assumed it was normal. However, today I noticed a 2011 SRX in my rear view mirror. It was turning. Both DRLs stayed on while the turn signal was active. I know it was 2011 because it was Mocha Steel, a color that didn't come out until 2011. Now I'm wondering if there is something wrong with mine, or if they changed this for 2011. Can everyone with a 2010 please check theirs and let me know if this is normal? If it's supposed to work like this, no biggie. I just need to know if I have to get this looked at. Thanks!

Sube

My DRL on the same side turn signal goes off as well and I have a 2010.

sube5186
06-19-11, 04:38 PM
Thanks for checking that, Steve. Either you and I coincidentally have the same defect, or they changed this for 2011. I'm leaning toward the latter. I'm trying to figure out if either design has an advantage, although it's nothing I plan on losing sleep over.

Sube

stevec5375
06-19-11, 05:42 PM
When I first noticed this I decided it was a "feature" designed to draw attention to the flashing turn signal since it would be the only light that was illuminated on that side of the car.

sube5186
06-19-11, 09:40 PM
Wow! I thought the exact same thing, but dismissed that thought as rubbish. Thanks for reaffirming my original suspicion. :yup: Now that you mention it, the turn signal of the guy in my rear view mirror was harder to see with that DRL on.

Sube

Smokin' SRX
06-19-11, 10:39 PM
My 2010 is same. Perhaps that 2011 guy did not have lights in Auto, but lights on manually?? I have to see if that is possible...... car locked up for the night!Any 2011 out there!?? LOL SS

sube5186
06-19-11, 10:58 PM
Perhaps that 2011 guy did not have lights in Auto, but lights on manually??

Nope, I don't think so. I'm referring specifically to the DRLs, not the regular headlights. The only option is to have them turn on automatically (Auto Setting), or to manually turn them off.

Sube

RAB
06-20-11, 10:03 AM
Here's a link to a thread in the 2008+ CTS forum that discusses this item (i.e. same-side DRL turning off when turn signal is activated.. on vehicles equipped with the HID headlamp package). Post #5 explains it best. http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2008-cadillac-cts-general-discussion/157061-daytime-running-lights.html

It's puzzling why Cadillac would choose to change how DRL's operate on the 2011 SRX. Something seems to have been changed in body control computer software - either by intention or oversight.

Other: As an aside.. note that the DRL's on Cadillacs built for Canada cannot be manually turned off. The only way to kill the DRL's on newer Cadillacs built for Canada (and equipped with HID headlamps) is to:
a. Manually turn on the headlamps (which is something I sometimes do, depending on the day and/or driving mission) ..or..
b. Remove the fuse(s) for DRL operation at the underhood fuse block (something I've never tried.. and wouldn't be legal to do in Canada)

Smokin' SRX
06-20-11, 10:13 AM
Good link, RAB! My guess is that it was by accident. The effects of changing a single command on any computer are manifold and often unanticipated in other systems. Still gotta look at mine today w/ headlites on/off, Auto/manual modes. fascinating tid-bit...........

daddie2k3
06-20-11, 10:42 AM
My 2011 drl turns off with blinker...

sube5186
06-20-11, 11:01 AM
My 2011 drl turns off with blinker...

OK, that tells me that the SRX I saw had a defect. I wonder how long it will take the 2011 owners who have this defect to discover it. Everyone should check theirs, especially if you have a 2011 model.

Sube

sube5186
06-20-11, 11:04 AM
Thanks RAB and everyone else for clearing this up for me. It makes sense. I thinks the design team was ahead of the game on this one.

Sube

mrl859
06-20-11, 02:48 PM
This is normal, as previously stated, to allow the turn signal to stand out. This is not GM only.

mm9351
06-20-11, 08:44 PM
I believe this DRL off with blinkers effect is unique for the Premiums and above who have HIDs. Those with conventional headlamps systems (e.g. Luxury, base) have the DRLs up above at the 12:00 headlamp location; and the DRLs stay ON with blinkers. Is it possible Sube was looking at a 2011 Luxury SRX in Mocha??? This feature is even more dynamic on cars with LED DRLs (e.g. Audi A4) which takes out a row of lights to bring more attention to the turn signals. Those who have seen this; you know exactly what I'm talking about.

Smokin' SRX
06-20-11, 09:27 PM
I think ya nailed it mm9351 . I've seen the Audis. I was about to guess the fellow had put an LED light upgrade into the turn signal or DRL and left out a diode or something which affects power direction flow. Your explanation makes a lot of sense. Maybe some Lux owners will weigh in to confirm?

sube5186
06-20-11, 09:42 PM
Is it possible Sube was looking at a 2011 Luxury SRX in Mocha???

Yes, I believe you're correct. Now that you mention it, the SRX I saw did NOT have fog lights, which means it had to be a Luxury or Standard model. The Performance and Premium models come with fog lights.

Sube

mrl859
06-21-11, 12:56 AM
While I can't speak for all makes, I know for a fact my '06 Charger turned off the DRL on the side with the turn signal on. It did not have HIDs, and used the high beam on a dimmer level for the DRL.

daddie2k3
06-21-11, 09:32 AM
I say look for that mocha 2011 and see if it has fog lights because yes I have hid as I own a performance model...

sube5186
06-21-11, 10:22 PM
I say look for that mocha 2011 and see if it has fog lights because yes I have hid as I own a performance model...

Don't have to. I distinctly remember it did NOT have fog lights.

Sube

daddie2k3
06-22-11, 05:10 AM
Well I might be wrong but if not fogs that means no hid and I also remember looking in manual when I first got the srx that it was two different headlights all together hid vs reg far as placement of the bulbs and/or how to replace them

jbsharpe
06-22-11, 05:29 PM
I have a 2011 Premium and the DRL's do go off when the turn signal is on.