: Honda vs Toyota Vs Mitsubishi

mjcaddy
06-19-11, 12:55 PM
Hi there
So I'm looking for a car for my mum and I'm torn between these three brands, I'm looking for 4 bangers midsize sedan (accord, camry or galant),
I have no clue how good or bad are these since i F* hate Japanese cars, never owned one and hopefully never will, I'm leaning toward the galant since it remind me a great deal about my my old dodge.
I'm looking for something around $2500-$3000 and around the years 98-2001, what do you think ? which one is should i go for ? any alternatives ?

thanks

Aron9000
06-19-11, 03:05 PM
Don't buy the Mitsu, its cheap for a reason. JUNK JUNK JUNK

$2500-3k will not buy you a decent Camry or Accord, of any year. For that price you'll be extremely lucky to find one that has been kept up and isn't on its 3rd, 4th, or 5th owner. Even then it'll have a ton of miles.

Go look at a 90's Buick LeSabre/Park Ave or Regal with the 3.8 V6 Lot more bang for your used $$$$ right there, and by this age condition is paramount. A POS neglected Honda is not going to be reliable like a well kept, under 100k mile Buick you can find. Old people who drive Buicks take great care of their stuff, unlike all the young people who drive Hondas into the ground.

mjcaddy
06-20-11, 12:06 AM
Thanks for your advice I was thinking about buying a a Buick at first but I have to pay for the gas too not just the car so 3.8l V6 is not what I'm looking for, don't get me wrong I know what 90s buick means i had a Buick 2.8 V6 as my first car and i was driving like crazy and never had to do anything for it except changing the oil and brake pads!
the reason for buying a jap. crap car is the midsize + 4clinders engine a win-win for me.

orconn
06-20-11, 12:41 AM
Thanks for your advice I was thinking about buying a a Buick at first but I have to pay for the gas too not just the car so 3.8l V6 is not what I'm looking for, don't get me wrong I know what 90s buick means i had a Buick 2.8 V6 as my first car and i was driving like crazy and never had to do anything for it except changing the oil and brake pads!
the reason for buying a jap. crap car is the midsize + cylinders engine a win-win for me.

I doubt a worn out Japanese 4 cylinder will get much better mileage than the 1997 Regal 3800 V-6. I ran a '97 a new '97 Honda Accord alongside the '97 Regal (which got about 19 mpg in town and 34 on the road) I can tell around town the Honda didn't do much better around town and not as well in long distance freeway driving.
I agree with those that have said that you could probably find a '90s Regal in very nice shape for less money than an abused Honda of the same vintage.

Jesda
06-20-11, 01:28 AM
There's only two Mitsus worth buying. One is the Evo. The other is the new Outlander Sport crossover thing, which has earned surprisingly good reviews.

drewsdeville
06-20-11, 01:45 AM
When you are getting into 10+ year old territory, there's plenty of junk out there no matter what brand, no matter what engine. There are lots of midsized sedans out there to choose from, so I'd focus on finding something in the condition you like that is equipped as you like and forget searching for a specific model and possibly making sacrifices because of it.

I always mention this because I see it so often, but even though you are getting tons of recommendations based on engine, don't put too much weight on that aspect. Overall, today's engines are quite reliable. Chassis repairs, however, are far more common and likely, and can add up to much more expensive upkeep than the minor repairs engines typically require. Pick up a vehicle with a solid chassis in good, rust free condition.

Personally, I really don't care for GM's w-body, but I do find that Toyota chassis are typically pretty durable :hide:.