: Tomorrow is Father's Day!

orconn
06-18-11, 11:35 PM
If you can't visit him, at least give the old boy a call!

77CDV
06-19-11, 12:03 AM
Those long distance charges to heaven add up in a hurry, though!

Florian
06-19-11, 12:08 AM
what if he's dead? I just go visit his grave.....
miss you, pop.

F

gdwriter
06-19-11, 12:26 AM
If you can't visit him, at least give the old boy a call!That I plan to do. He's 74, but looks 10 years younger. I hope he has his mother's genes on the longevity; she lived to be 89.

thebigjimsho
06-19-11, 01:33 PM
You guys really need to rethink what this society is telling you to do. Everyone needs a "special" occasion to need to think of people or Jesus or whatever.

My father needs no special day for him to know I love him. Neither does my mother. They hear from me all the time. They don't get lonely on these commercially driven "moments" of rememberance. They feel as much from me the other 364.25 days of the year as they do today.

I know it's hip, and all, to want to make a special post about this special day. And I know most of you all feel the same about your loved ones as I do. I'm not saying you don't. Make sure they feel the same for the next 364.25 days of the year...

orconn
06-19-11, 02:14 PM
Unfortunately, I lost my father when I was 21 and he was 57. While I often remember the gifts his hard work and dedication bestowed on me and the nation, I didn't have a lot of time to spend with him growing up, so I always enjoy the opportunity to remember not just my father, but the long line of grand fathers that came before him!

gdwriter
06-19-11, 02:38 PM
You guys really need to rethink what this society is telling you to do. Everyone needs a "special" occasion to need to think of people or Jesus or whatever.

My father needs no special day for him to know I love him. Neither does my mother. They hear from me all the time. They don't get lonely on these commercially driven "moments" of rememberance. They feel as much from me the other 364.25 days of the year as they do today.

I know it's hip, and all, to want to make a special post about this special day. And I know most of you all feel the same about your loved ones as I do. I'm not saying you don't. Make sure they feel the same for the next 364.25 days of the year...I think you're a little overly cynical there, James. Despite living on the other side of the country from my parents, we're still close, and none of us need a Hallmark-sanctioned holiday to know we love each other. But there's nothing wrong with carving out a special time to remember and say thanks. If it gives a kid less enlightened than you the nudge to give his old man a call, then what's the harm?

Speaking of which, with the 2-hour time difference I better get on the phone before Dad's nap time.

thebigjimsho
06-19-11, 06:52 PM
If a kid needs a nudge, then hooray for him. He's is sore straights, then...