: EXT Tonneau cover locking handle hardware Corroded!

Dif
06-18-11, 10:44 PM
To anyone who hasn't removed their Tonneau covers for a long time you might want to check them !!
I rarely remove the Tonneau covers on my 07 EXT.
They always leaked a tiny bit when it rained, as did my 02 Avalanche and 04 EXT.
Anyway, today I noticed what I though was little piles of white sand in a couple spots inside on hte bottom of the bed.
Then I looked up to see on panel #2, .. the blocks which the locking handles are mounted to, were all white and Corroded :annoyed:
The powder coating on Both the Aluminum hardware the handles are mounted to on the cover, and the hardware they mate to on the bed sides was all peeling off.
A real Mess :mad2: So I remove the 1st cover to get at #2 and immediately noticed it was heavier than the other panel.
As I lift if off and stand it on end, .. water starts pouring out one of the corners of the panel.
The panel was full of water :helpless: Now, I try to unscrew the hardware from the cover so I can at least clean the Aluminum and oil it since the Corrosion has made it hard to turn the handle.
Only 2 screws holding each handle on and of course, 3 out of all 4 screws were Rusted in and snapped :crying:
At this point I have a hole where the screw that came out easy was and blow some compressed air into it.
Tons of water comes out of all the seams of the cover.
Long story short, after cleaning everything up as best as possible, I drill out all the broken screws and replace them.
For now my covers are back in place and will be going to the Dealer to get the #2 cover, and corroded hardware replaced.
Should be covered under my Extended warranty but we'll see how that goes ;)

maxmf
10-07-11, 11:05 AM
Do you have any update with this scenario. I have the exact same thing happeing on my '07.
Thanks

Cadillac Cust Svc
10-07-11, 12:36 PM
Maxmf,
Is your vehicle still covered under the warranty? If so, I would recommend taking it to the dealer and seeing what they say. If you are not sure about your warranty you can send me your VIN and I will check for you.
Breanne
Cadillac Customer Service