: 1969 Cadillac - Ignition Switch removal

outsider
06-18-11, 01:02 PM
Anyone know how to remove the ignition switch on a 69 Cadillac. The shop manual is less than helpful. It just says it is "located on the steering column jacket under the instrument panel."

I think I can see it by laying on the ground but it looks like the steering column will need to come down? ANyone know for sure?

outsider
06-18-11, 04:33 PM
Managed to figure it out. Here's how for anyone wondering.

1: Remove the panel under the steering column. It is the panel that contains the ashtray.
2: Looses the 2 bolts holding the steering column up. This will allow the column to lower.
3: Remove the two bolts holding ignition switch in place.
4: Lift the switch up to release the rod coming from the key cylinder. Then slide the switch out towards the wire connector. It will not come out easily the other way because there is a brace in the way.

Install is the opposite. unfortunately somehow in the process I bent my gear selection indicator...turns out it's just a wire similar to an old coat hanger...very strange. I couldn't for the life of me get it back in the right shape. Oh well, I never use it anyways. I just go on how many clicks i've pulled the shifter. hehe.