: Fleetwood vs Fleetwood Brougham differences

lowellches
06-17-11, 10:22 PM
1993-1996

what distinguishes Fleetwood Brougham from Fleetwood ?

What differences ?

jayoldschool
06-17-11, 10:57 PM
Seats, vinyl top, gear ratio are a few things that come to mind.

sven914
06-17-11, 11:32 PM
The Brougham was just a cosmetic/luxury package for the Fleetwood. It added a full vinyl top, sail panel Brougham badging, instrument panel badging, a rear seat storage armrest, and a six-way heated memory driver's seat with three-position lumbar support. The only real structural differences were in the rear differential and after '93 the Brougham option added chrome rims.

Stingroo
06-17-11, 11:48 PM
The Brougham option COULD add chrome rims. It didn't always.

Bro-Ham
06-18-11, 11:18 AM
...after '93 the Brougham option added chrome rims.

Chrome wheels on the Brougham were optional, most 93-96 Broughams I have seen did not have the chrome wheel option.

Fleetwood had Lace-look alloy wheels, no vinyl top standard, a simple seating style with power recliners and 6-way power seats.

Brougham had the more understated alloy wheels, standard vinyl top (which could be deleted), Brougham badges behind doors at base of vinyl top by Cadillac emblems and also a Brougham emblem on the trunk. Brougham seating differed with a richer and slightly shirred look to the upholstery and was multi-adjustable and, if I recall correctly, heated too.

:)

brougham
06-18-11, 02:48 PM
It was mainly all cosmetic stuff. Broughams also had heated seats. The chrome wheels were optional on either. It's all pretty much the same differences that have always been between Devilles and Fleetwoods.

jayoldschool
06-18-11, 03:42 PM
94-96 Fleetwoods got 2.56s, FWBs got 2.93.

sven914
06-18-11, 05:55 PM
^I thought the Brougham for '96 had a 3.42 final drive.

jayoldschool
06-18-11, 06:15 PM
Tow pack only.

Stingroo
06-18-11, 07:14 PM
And '93 tow pack cars had 3.73 rear ends.

:)

Aron9000
06-19-11, 02:06 AM
You could get the 2.93 axle ratio in a standard Fleetwood, it was a no cost option. My car has it. The only thing I really wish my car had over the Brougham package cars is the heated seat option. I actually prefer the base Fleetwood seats, the driver's seat tends to wear a lot better than the Brougham package cars.

Cadillacboy
06-23-11, 12:44 PM
As far as I know , Fleetwood Broughams came with more powerful A/C Systems than that of Fleetwoods besides aforementioned

Aron9000
06-24-11, 12:56 AM
^ That doesn't make any sense about the a/c systems. I'd say they're the same, except maybe for commerical chassis cars might have had a beefier compressor, fan motor, condenser, etc because of the increased interior volume on a limo.

SDCaddyLacky
06-24-11, 05:00 AM
The Broughams were a little heavier than the base Fleetwoods by a good 50-60lbs. Not sure why though. Maybe Cadillac added more sound deadening material to the Broughams. They got a little lighter in 96.

The leather quality is supposed to be better and softer compared to the base models. Caddy should of definitely added more detail specific items like ornamentation's to the interior since it is so bland, and generic compared to the older Broughams. Even small touches like a Cadillac wreath for the front seats would of been great, but no. You can tell Cadillac simply didn't put a whole lot of effort in the interiors for these cars knowing how basic everything looked. I mean it's not bad, but it ain't great either. I blame it on GM wanting to end the production of the Fleetwood years before 96, so why bother right? Caddy should of done much more to enhance the look of the Brougham package, including more exterior touches. Oh well, that's where people such as myself comes in with creative ideas looking to enhance the interior so it looks a lot more attractive. Even small exterior add on's can go a long way to improve the cars styling.

sven914
06-24-11, 02:26 PM
^Those extra pounds could have easily been made up by the differential , the added seat heaters and motors, and all of the extra padding in the seats.

PRdeVille
06-24-11, 02:46 PM
The a/c systems are the same, yet there was an option called V03 (Extra Capacity Cooling) that had an increased capacity condenser.

Reference link: LINKKKKKK?!?!!?!?!!! <<- LT1 Reverse Flow Cooling System

Ok, sorry, but I can't get past the filter... if you google the following, you'll go directly to it:

LT1 Reverse Flow Cooling System
By Scott Mueller.

One of the greatest features of the '92 and up Chevrolet LT1 engine is the reverse flow cooling system. In fact it is reverse flow cooling that is truly the key to the incredible performance of the modern LT1. Reverse flow cooling is vastly sup

Hope this helps! :)

brougham
06-25-11, 05:13 PM
50-60lbs isn't much. The only differences in the car is what you actually see. So the extra weight is probably just from things that were optional on Fleetwoods and standard on Fleetwood Broughams and the difference in the seats. They also had those vanity mirrors in the back which means wiring, brakets, etc so that adds to it too.

DouglasJRizzo
06-26-11, 07:38 AM
The Fleetwood "60 Special" last appeared for the 1970 model year, before vanishing. A much changed 60 Special appeared for the 92 model year in front drive form but this vehicle is not included in this conversation.

The difference between a 60 Special and a Brougham was that the Brougham had the rear foot rests and rear reading lamps, as well as a vinyl top as standard, whereas the 60 special didn't have the first two items and a vinyl top was optional.

60 Specials are rare, hence the Brougham's popularity ensured its continued life. Sometime in the late 80s/early 90s the Fleetwood Brougham became the "Brougham" so as not to confuse with the FWD fleetwood models. This nomenclature continued until the last rear drive chassis left at the end of the 1996 model year.

Other differences were that up until the 1977 downsizing, Fleetwoods had their own chassis with an individually longer wheelbase (around 3" more) than the Deville/Calais Sedans, as well as a body that was unique to them. For 1977 this stopped although the FWB did have a distinctive treatment to the pillars/doorframes. These are hard to spot unless you know what you are looking at but if you put a 77 FWB and a 77 SDV together you'll see the difference.

Stingroo
06-26-11, 08:20 AM
Sometime in the late 80s/early 90s the Fleetwood Brougham became the "Brougham" so as not to confuse with the FWD fleetwood models. This nomenclature continued until the last rear drive chassis left at the end of the 1996 model year.

1992. The 93-96 cars were called Fleetwood and Fleetwood Brougham

DouglasJRizzo
06-26-11, 08:57 AM
I knew it had to be around there sometime. Thanks.

jayoldschool
06-26-11, 02:25 PM
The a/c systems are the same, yet there was an option called V03 (Extra Capacity Cooling) that had an increased capacity condenser.

V03 has nothing to do with a condenser. It is the mechanical fan that is found on trailer package cars.

PRdeVille
06-27-11, 09:50 AM
V03 has nothing to do with a condenser. It is the mechanical fan that is found on trailer package cars.

Good to have my info cleared up.
Here's where I got it from: http://www.theherd.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=112

intragration
07-08-11, 10:44 AM
Sven, I don't understand, the Brougham actually does have a different axle housing? I'm in a very long, slow process of buying a '96 Brougham, it's been about 4 years, but it's not going anywhere and it's sitting in an attached garage. I agree that the interiors are a little under-achieving compared to the older Cadillacs, but at the same time, the cars weren't super-expensive at the time, you got a pretty good deal. For comparison, "my" '96 was $41k with options, a '96 Camaro SS I bought new was $31k, and I believe my uncle's '02 ETC was $52k. Looking at the option sheet, the chrome wheels were $1,195. THAT seems expensive, I think the Camaros had the option, with 16" wheels, and it was only around $500. Also, the "Fleetwood Brougham" option lists "Leather seating area" as it's description, and it was a $2,465 option. I guess you did also get those few other things along with it. Mine also came with a chrome full-sized spare, the original owner requested this at the time he ordered it, and when it came in with whatever it had from the factory, he demanded that they give him what he requested. Kind of cool that mine was a '96, but it was built in November of '96, I guess they were running late because of a strike or something like that and had orders to be fulfilled.

jayoldschool
07-08-11, 01:18 PM
The only Brougham that has a different axle HOUSING is the factory limo chassis. Regular Broughams can get different axle gear ratios (depending on tow pack or not).