: Chaning your fog lights ... or bulbs

RaGzEmCeE
10-15-04, 08:23 PM
how hard is it to change your bulb for an 04 escalade on your foglights and whats the type of bulb i would have to use

CadX6
10-15-04, 10:00 PM
Assuming you want a simple replacement - no fancy external power supplies, exotic bulbs, etc. -

It took me about 2.5 min - the majority of which was finding a drop cloth to lay on under the car. Just reach behind the fog lamp housing, pull out the socket, remove & replace the bulb & reinsert the socket.

I used Sylvania 880ST's which are a direct plugin replacement. They're only marginally brighter but are noticibly whiter. I went the simple route to avoid the possibility (probability) of overheating & burning up the housings & lenses.

slimm44
10-15-04, 11:26 PM
remember, don't touch the bulb's glass without gloves. oils on your hands can make the bulb crack or explode.

Rage
10-16-04, 10:00 AM
I just did the same as CadX6. I got them off a guy on Ebay cheaper than the local Auto store or Walmart here in Hawaii. Its okay but I think its a little brighter but not whiter. I wanted something close to the HID brights.

Rage

hcvone
10-18-04, 09:40 AM
As said above changing the fog light bulbs is very simple, them made them very easy to change, the Sylvania Silver Star bulbs are much whiter than stock, I added HID's to my fogs and the light output is unreal, it goes great with the stock HID low beams, and the HID's I added to the high beams. :)

jldz
11-09-04, 05:30 PM
How do you turn off the auto headlight feature on an 02 ,and has anyone changed the daylight running bulbs to a brighter bulb? :hmm:

stevedinha01
11-11-04, 12:24 AM
to turn off your headlights you need to press the dome light switch on and off 5 times you will hear a chime that means you did it right then you will be able to turn your headlights on and off using the knob.

fast66
11-11-04, 02:42 AM
make sure the new bulbs arent more powerful than your stock bulbs. Usually buying cheap bulbs on ebay can lead to them blowing up or melting the housing for the fog light. P.S. once melted each foglight costs about $150.

bigman30685
11-11-04, 04:42 AM
i changed my daylight running lights to a xenon look. so its MUCH whiter but not neccesarily a blue either. looks great though. i also changed the lights underneath the side mirrors to the xenon bulb. i think it looks better.

fast66
11-11-04, 11:59 AM
what bulbs you used to change you lights under the mirrors and the daytime running lights?

jldz
11-11-04, 01:52 PM
If you go to the Sylvania web site under auto lighting and enter you make .model, year you'll get a list of every bulb your rides uses. I made a print out of my bulb sizes for future use :D

T_Dogg8
11-11-04, 02:05 PM
If you go to the Sylvania web site under auto lighting and enter you make .model, year you'll get a list of every bulb your rides uses. I made a print out of my bulb sizes for future use :D
that's probably something pretty good to have. thanks

Spittin Game
11-11-04, 07:43 PM

just curious as to what exactly the website address your going to is?

(i'll tell you why after you give me the site's addy) ;)

T_Dogg8
11-12-04, 10:43 AM
just curious as to what exactly the website address your going to is?

(i'll tell you why after you give me the site's addy) ;)
sylvania.com doesn't work :hmm:

RaGzEmCeE
11-12-04, 10:51 AM
http://www.sylvania.com/ConsumerProducts/AutomotiveLighting/LampReplacementGuide/AutoLRG-Results.htm

gacck
11-12-04, 05:24 PM
Hello all,
Just for the record I replaced the lamps in my fog lights in my '05 EXT with the Sylvania ST's one at a time and there was no noticable difference. No difference could be seen while comparing them from side to side whether I was looking at them directly or while looking at the pattern shined on a white wall. Maybe in the '05s it is not an improvement because they upgraded the lamps already. Any body have any ideas?

Thanks,

CLC
'05 EXT

Dif
11-16-04, 11:33 AM
Hello all,
Just for the record I replaced the lamps in my fog lights in my '05 EXT with the Sylvania ST's one at a time and there was no noticable difference. No difference could be seen while comparing them from side to side whether I was looking at them directly or while looking at the pattern shined on a white wall. Maybe in the '05s it is not an improvement because they upgraded the lamps already. Any body have any ideas?

Thanks,

CLC
'05 EXT

You're probably right about the '05 being upgraded already.
I just bought some 880ST bulbs for an '04 .. and I noticed they were a bit brighter and whiter.. not by a real lot but they were better.

I got them on Ebay.. Good price and Fast shipping. This seller also has other ST bulbs for other lights on the vehicles.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33710&item=7933248543&rd=1

Another thing to check is whether your Fog lights are adjusted high enough. When I checked mine I found they were practically pointed at the ground about 12 inches in front of the vehicle. Adjusting them a bit higher made a difference before I even put in the new Silver Star bulbs.
Regards.. Frank