: Big doh

jcolliga40
06-16-11, 11:00 AM
I went to bring my 67 Calais to a show last weekend and it didn't start oh well no big deal. I was running late as it was so I ended up just riding the bike. But when I got back from the show I couldn't locate where I put the key. I only one that one copy crap!!. So I was wondering if anyone has pulled an iginition switch out of a 67 before. Because it looks like I will be replacing this one or bringing it to a locksmith to get another made. I called one place said it would be about 300 dollars to come make a key ouch. Thanks all

outsider
06-16-11, 11:19 AM
I've never pulled one out but I need to pull mine from my 69 soon because the "key in ignition" buzzer is stuck on even when the keys are removed.

From what I can tell...you gatta pull the wheel off and then it should be pretty easy from there.

CADforce69
06-16-11, 04:24 PM
I copy instructions to remove ignition lock for a 69 (I think it wouldn´t be much different for a 67):

1. Disconnect negative battery cable at battery.
2. Position lock cylinder in "lock" position.
3. Remove steering column lower cover as described in Note 45a
4. Loosen two nuts on upper steering column. Support and allow column to drop as far as possible without removing the nuts.
CAUTION: Do not remove nuts, as column may bend under its own weight.
5. Remove the screws securing ignition switch to steering column and remove switch.

INSTALLATION

1. Assemble ignition switch on actuator rod and adjust to the "lock" position.
NOTE: The lock position can be found by holding the switch actuating rod stationary with one hand, then moving the switch towards the bottom of the column with the other hand until the end of travel in the switch has been reached. This is the accessory position. Next, back off one detent in the switch and this will be the lock position. Make sure the ignition key is in the lock position, then assemble the ignition switch to the column using the two screws provided. Take care to assure proper engagement of drive rod and switch slider without moving from "lock" position. Tighten screws to 35 inch-pounds.
2. Connect ignition switch connector at switch.
3. Tighten two nuts on upper steering column.
4. Install steering column lower cover as described in Note 45b.
5. Connect negative battey cable at battery.

Note 45a:

1. Disconnect negative battery cable at battery.
2. Remove four Phillips head screws securing lower cover to iinstrument panel bezel assembly.
3. Loosen two screws securing lower cover to lower instrument panel.
4. Disengage lower cover by pulling up and out to gain access to wiring connections on rear side of cover
5. Disconnect ash tray wiring and Twilight Sentinel amplifier if car is so equipped. Remove courtesy light bulb and socket from housing.
6. Remove turn signal flasher unit and hazard warning flasher unit from clips on rear side of cover.
7. Remove cover.

Note 45b is just the reverse of 45a

outsider
06-16-11, 05:09 PM
nice thanks for those instructions!

jcolliga40
06-16-11, 09:02 PM
My switch is on the dash. Not on the column thank you though it might be easier just remove some dash pieces and were off but that will be a day off project.
http://www.sheffieldgarage.com/limo/dash.jpg
Similar to mine

jayoldschool
06-16-11, 09:52 PM
You just put a paper clip in the little hole to take the ignition cylinder out.

sven914
06-16-11, 10:04 PM
^Then you cut the red and yellow wires. Then you touch the ends together. And then you drive it like you stole it.

jcolliga40
06-17-11, 05:50 AM
Really? LOL

CADforce69
06-17-11, 09:09 AM
^Then you cut the red and yellow wires. Then you touch the ends together. And then you drive it like you stole it.

So you´ll have problem solved... Until a cop see you starting the car :LOL:

It´s true; in 1969 new anti-theft features were introduced. One of them was ignition switch on steering column, blocking wheel when keys are out.

jcolliga40
06-17-11, 09:56 AM
Sweet well that's works out well. Now I can just bring the switch to a lock Smith instead of.one coming to me.

cadillacbart
06-17-11, 03:30 PM
you need a key inserted with the paper clip to turn the cylinder and remove it.

jcolliga40
06-18-11, 10:19 AM
Well that's not gunna work then I don't have the key. Mmmm any other ideas?

cadillacbart
06-20-11, 11:50 AM
Not sure if it will work, but if you unscrew the bezel around the lock, you might be able to pull the whole assembly out from under the dash and unplug it. Might be able to work it out , or take it to the locksmith and save on service call charge.