: 07 Escalade Down Shifting-15.5 MPG

Mitch Leland
06-16-11, 01:23 AM
I just completed a 5 hour drive from Ft. Worth to home with maybe 5 stops. Most of the driving was at 70 MPH. I showed 15.5 MPG, UGH! I had 40 PSI all around on the 22" wheels, low lead gas.

One problem I have is I feel like while the car is on cruise control it shifts down at the slightest incline (70 MPH), and if the incline runs on, it shifts down again. The shifts are harsh, and in some cases the transmission will drop down two gears at once. The shifting seems to be over anxious and in some cases unnecessary.

Has anyone else had the same experience? Has anyone been able to address this with any computer adjustments?

I've had the car in the agency for 3 days and they say it's normal and within specs... and the mileage is within limits... What's new!

My mileage use to be around 17-18.5 for the same trip. E-85 accounts for some of that, but 15.5 is really disappointing. I stepped up for a throttle body and injector cleaning, we'll see if that does any good, I have my doubts.

MrSplenda
06-16-11, 03:21 AM
Low Lead Gas? Are you using less than Premium grade?

Mattah
06-16-11, 04:16 AM
Hey fellow texan, Im sorta close to you in Dripping.

Yes MrSplenda he probly is using 87 if not 89, but that does not matter. I have always used 87, yes there is a slight difference in MPG but its less than 1. But Mitch I have had the same problem but in my burb and Denali, never took it in to the dealer to figure what was the problem. I just dont use Cruise control anymore, havent tried it with the esv yet thou.

MrSplenda
06-16-11, 04:44 AM
I use cruise control all the time and went over two mountain passes from Central Washington State to Southern Idaho. I averaged 18.6mpg on 92 octane (E10). Put the right gas in the truck. Period.

Cadillac Cust Svc
06-16-11, 10:10 AM
Mitch Leland,

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing this issue with your vehicle. Could you please tell me what you mean by “low lead” gas? I would like to know what type of gas you were using in your vehicle at the time of your trip. Is this the same type of gas you use on any other trip? Also, when you say your vehicle is in the agency, do you mean your local Cadillac dealership? I would like to help you with this issue.

Thank you
Elizabeth, Cadillac Customer Service

evois
06-16-11, 08:16 PM
since it is a regular escalade(non-hybrid) the 6.2L engine requires PREMIUM gas! hybrid like mine only requires 87(REGULAR) but I use premium anyways=25.5mpg(yup!). if it downshift at the least sign of an uphill, change it to the proper gas=PREMIUM fuel.

jt321
06-19-11, 12:43 AM
I average about 13mpg. I have 24" rims though. Should my mpg be this low? I always un premium fuel.

Buff
06-19-11, 11:17 AM
I just made long highway trip up thru mountains. I got 21.5 mpg. This is imperial gallons on 91 octane .