: Which car looks more like "Understated Luxury"?

Lord Cadillac
06-15-11, 10:25 PM
I'm actually leaning toward the CTS - which is why I started this topic. It's surprising to me. I've been seeing a lot of nice LaCrosses on the road lately. Most of them have shiny chrome wheels and just really catch my eye. Is Buick becoming more flashy than Cadillac?

When voting, try to forget about the badge. But this IS a Cadillac community - so I have little doubt we'll see far more people saying the CTS is the flashier of the two. Especially from CTS owners.

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2009/10/buicklacrossereview_01.jpg
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2007/08/cadillac_cts_1280_10.jpg

77CDV
06-15-11, 10:40 PM
Buick has been flashier than Cadillac at various times. Just think of the 1958 models. The Buick had more chrome and a more baroque appearance overall. Same is true of the two cars posted above. The ventiports on top of the flat hood are just silly, not to mention blinding when the sun is behind you.

Night Wolf
06-15-11, 11:09 PM
The Buick looks more classic American luxury, it pulls it off well. The CTS looks more no frills "sport sedan". Actually, from those two pictures - that angle doesn't do much at all for the CTS' styling (looks like a box), while highlighting the body lines of the Buick with excellent reflections.

Stingroo
06-15-11, 11:30 PM
Yeah, I think two real-world photos to compare against would make this a more fair thread.

Destroyer
06-15-11, 11:58 PM
They both suck!

brandondeleo
06-16-11, 01:12 AM
Personal opinion, the CTS (aside from the V series, of course) is a sad excuse for a Cadillac. A friend of mine just bought a 2011 LaCrosse, and I was very impressed by it (except for those ridiculous hood vents lol). In this scenario, I would pick the LaCrosse, but if it were any other Cadillac model, I would go Caddy. ;)

Lord Cadillac
06-16-11, 10:24 AM
The pictures have been updated...

Yeah, I think two real-world photos to compare against would make this a more fair thread.

Stingroo
06-16-11, 10:35 AM
To me, in those photos, the CTS looks more like a luxury car, while the Buick looks like an appliance with some chrome. Take the hood vents off and black out the grille and that could easily pass for a Toyota. Also of note: the kink by the rear wheel well isn't highlighted nearly as much in natural light as it was in that glamour shot.

Lord Cadillac
06-16-11, 11:28 AM
The LaCrosse has certainly grown on me. I even like the top ventiports that NOBODY else likes. And since I like "flash" I love the optional chrome wheels.

maeng9981
06-16-11, 11:34 AM
True luxury cars don't have fake vents.

Lord Cadillac
06-16-11, 11:54 AM
What about fake wood? The Cadillac Escalade has fake wood but I still consider that to be a true luxury vehicle...

Stingroo
06-16-11, 12:05 PM

So you're telling me this isn't a true luxury car?

http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/cad1950/1957/57brough4.jpeg

How fascinating. Do go on, good sir.

OffThaHorseCEO
06-16-11, 12:07 PM
its NEAR-luxury haha...

to be honest, the Lacrosse looks more like a luxury car to me. from the photos posted, it looks like buick left no exterior surface unaccounted for

The grill on the cts looks like that cheap plastic they use on the bottom of the Deville and DHS bumpers/rockers from 00-05. so does the surface under the bumper. It shouldnt matter what "level" cadillac you have, no surface should look like cheap plastic.

RippyPartsDept
06-16-11, 12:09 PM
i like those hood louvre things

Lord Cadillac
06-16-11, 12:32 PM
So you feel the CTS looks more understated than the LaCrosse? Or do I have that backwards?

its NEAR-luxury haha...

to be honest, the Lacrosse looks more like a luxury car to me. from the photos posted, it looks like buick left no exterior surface unaccounted for

The grill on the cts looks like that cheap plastic they use on the bottom of the Deville and DHS bumpers/rockers from 00-05. so does the surface under the bumper. It shouldnt matter what "level" cadillac you have, no surface should look like cheap plastic.

OffThaHorseCEO
06-16-11, 12:36 PM
i feel the cts looks cheaper, i guess i misunderstood the question.

Lord Cadillac
06-16-11, 12:59 PM
I think too many people ARE misunderstanding the question - so I'm closing it up. I probably should have worded things better. Otherwise, it just doesn't make sense to keep this running.

Thank you all for your participation...