: 2012 Changes/Additions/Deletions

b4z
06-15-11, 07:13 PM
Thought we could have a running thread for the 2012 with updates on what Cadillac has changed on the Order Guide.

June 13, 2011.
"New RPO: Bright Finish Grille, available on all models."

First I've heard of this. Wonder what it looks like?

sube5186
06-15-11, 09:10 PM
I'm assuming the new grille is similar to the one on the 2012 XTS.

http://www.blacklisthunter.com/5035/2012-cadillac-xts-preview/2010-cadillac-xts-platinum-concept/

Sube

RAB
06-16-11, 01:28 PM
June 13, 2011.
"New RPO: Bright Finish Grille, available on all models."

First I've heard of this. Wonder what it looks like?

Code (VAS) Grille, bright finish is an 'LPO' GM Accessory item, to be purchased from your GM dealer (or other authorized GM parts retailer).
The grill is available under GM part number 20929728 and is currently listed at the GMAccessoriesZone.com website. Their list price is $299.00
Here's a link to the webpage : http://www.gmaccessorieszone.com/Cadillac/2011/SRX/Grille/?src=cadillac&tx_gmshopb2b_pi1%5Btype%5D=gm

sube5186
06-16-11, 01:41 PM
Here's a picture of an SRX with the new grille. Ignore the caption "2010 Cadillac SRX". This pic looks like it's from an auto show. This may have been a prototype SRX. Maybe they were originally planning to use this grille on the 2010 and changed it before production. Now, they're putting it on the 2012 models and calling it "new".

Personally, I'm not particularly impressed with the change. Just looks like more areas to have to clean bugs off of.

http://www.cars.com/go/features/autoshows/vehicle.jsp?vehicletype=production&autoshowyear=2009&vehicle=production_cadillac_srx&make=Cadillac&model=SRX

Sube

RAB
06-16-11, 02:21 PM
...... Now, they're putting it on the 2012 models and calling it "new".

No they're not. According to the 2012 GM Online Order Guide, the (VAS) optional bright finish grill is an "LPO" GM Accessory item only, obtained by purchasing it from your GM dealer parts dept or other authorized GM parts retailer. Given this information.. the grill that will be applied at the factory on 2012 models should be unchanged from before.

sube5186
06-16-11, 02:55 PM
No they're not. According to the 2012 GM Online Order Guide, the (VAS) optional bright finish grill is an "LPO" GM Accessory item only, obtained by purchasing it from your GM dealer parts dept or other authorized GM parts retailer. Given this information.. the grill that will be applied at the factory on 2012 models should be unchanged from before.

Oh, OK. Thanks for clearing that up for us.

Marc NY
06-17-11, 05:49 PM
Here is the "official" GM photo of the new bright SRX grille that I got from another GM connection at Cadillac.

"Thanks for your note and congratulations on your 2012 SRX order. Attached is a photo of the new bright finish grille (VAS). It is an LPO ($399) so you can add it to your order at the dealership.

... Also, for 2012 we are offering a U-rail D-rings package (LPO: 5VI, sorry no images or pricing). Lastly, I encourage you to check out all of the available accessories, including pictures and pricing at http://www.gmaccessorieszone.com."

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd198/MarcNY/2012SRXGrille.jpg

jjjleblanc
08-22-11, 10:32 AM
Marc, thanks for posting this picture and congratulations on picking up the 2012, it looks great.

Has anyone seen this grille? I went to the website and it looks very similar to the stock grille. I can't tell by the images if the center horizontal bar is chrome or gray.

Thanks!

Marc NY
08-22-11, 11:03 AM
Thanks jjjleblanc; and yes it is very hard to tell the difference in these GM photos. The same with the new 20" machined face wheels I posted earlier in May one really can not tell how good they look like unless you were to see them up closer in a real good photo of the car... otherwise you will have wait to see them in person to get a better look at GMs new SRX items.

I was thinking of ordering that bright grille but then I figured I would wait to see one first before I ordered one.

Cadillac Tony
08-22-11, 01:51 PM
It's the same grille as stock, except it's painted a bright silver metallic and clearcoated (instead of the darker gray "natural plastic" finish on the regular grille).

No extra chrome, sorry.

jjjleblanc
08-22-11, 02:46 PM
It's the same grille as stock, except it's painted a bright silver metallic and clearcoated (instead of the darker gray "natural plastic" finish on the regular grille).

No extra chrome, sorry.

Thanks for the quick responses! It all makes sense now. I'll have a chance to see them side by side later this week and this really helps.

Marc, I'm in eastern western NY and travel to Buffalo once in a while. I'll keep an eye out for the Black Ice with the cloaked undercarriage. I looked under my 2008 and it's painted black.

Regards,

Jim

Marc NY
08-23-11, 07:20 AM
Thanks for the quick responses! It all makes sense now. I'll have a chance to see them side by side later this week and this really helps.

Marc, I'm in eastern western NY and travel to Buffalo once in a while. I'll keep an eye out for the Black Ice with the cloaked undercarriage. I looked under my 2008 and it's painted blackRegards,

Jim I will look for ya! :)

BTW: I wonder what was the reasons why GM stopped painting their undercarriages for 2010-2012? Could it have been $$$???

Ponyman
08-23-11, 11:35 AM
Very possible. You take 50 cents ofpaint and 10 minutes of time on each vehicle and over a 100,000 vehicles, it adds up. Same reason they quit putting a drain plub in the transmission pan in the mid 0's. Dollar or so a vehicle.

jjjleblanc
08-27-11, 07:45 PM
I had a chance to see the bright grille today. The photos posted by sube5186 are spot on and respresent the installed look of the grille. I gave the ok to install on a 2012 I'll take possesion of next week. Thanks for the input! I'll post the after picture next week.

Marc NY
08-27-11, 11:30 PM
I had a chance to see the bright grille today. The photos posted by sube5186 are spot on and respresent the installed look of the grille. I gave the ok to install on a 2012 I'll take possesion of next week. Thanks for the input! I'll post the after picture next week. Hmmm I really can't see the real big difference between the two except for a lighter silver painted bar in the middle to be honest with you. I guess I would have to see it in person to make a better judgement.

What did you notice that was worthy of the extra money to have the new bright grill added?

BTW: What color is that SRX????

jjjleblanc
08-28-11, 11:33 AM
Hmmm I really can't see the real big difference between the two except for a lighter silver painted bar in the middle to be honest with you. I guess I would have to see it in person to make a better judgement.

What did you notice that was worthy of the extra money to have the new bright grill added?

BTW: What color is that SRX????

The entire grill is silver except for the ring around the crest which remains black. It's hard to find a good photo. I'll try after it's installed and might be able to get a shot next to a similar car with the stock grill. It seems the best way to describe it is there is a choice between a black grille and a silver grille.

I most recently had the 2008 sport model that replaced a gray grille with silver and I liked that combination. I like the way the silver adds some continuity between the headlights. It's one of those personal preference things. It would have been nice if the lower panels also had silver options.

The color of the model I'm considering is Gold Mist.

b4z
08-28-11, 06:06 PM
I'd like to see that grille in black chrome, hyperblack or satin black with the plastic painted matte or satin black.
In fact cadillac needs to offer this option on their wheels and especially an Escalade with all stain black trim.

allgm
08-28-11, 08:13 PM
Has any one else added the chrome to the middle bar? I like the dark gray grill on a dark color SRX myself.

jjjleblanc
08-28-11, 08:28 PM
Has any one else added the chrome to the middle bar? I like the dark gray grill on a dark color SRX myself.

I've seen overlays for the middle bar on ebay. There are several types and it's hard to see how clean it looks after installed. Search on "SRX Chrome Grille Overlay" and a few options will display. Several of the ones I looked at were painted plastic and one mentioned using two sided tape.

allgm
08-28-11, 08:47 PM
I bought a set tape holds them on they look good match the rest of the plastic chrome grill. Makes the grill stand out .
I tried to post a piture but it didn't show up

jjjleblanc
09-01-11, 07:40 PM
Here are pictures of the optional bright grille on the gold mist model:

Installed front view

Side by side comparison

Material and construction closeup

Marc NY
09-01-11, 08:30 PM
NOW I can see the big difference when you show it against the normal grill. I think it looks great and the color of your SRX blends in very well with it too. :thumbsup:

I think it is a nice option if one wants to stand out from the normal SRX crowd. However, for me I think I will stay with the stock grill for now anyways on my ICE SRX. Thanks for sharing those great photos! :)

*I think that look could be enhanced even further if GM were to offer an option to have the lower portion of the grill to be finished in the same bright silver material.

allgm
09-02-11, 09:59 AM
Picture of Chrome Inserts on middle grill bar

Ponyman
09-02-11, 10:58 AM
I liek those Delores, where did you get them? I added door handle overlays to my HHR and have had no trouble with them, either trying to come off, or the chrome not looking good. When you think about it, that is the same thing they do to our wheels, and othr exterior parts.

allgm
09-02-11, 12:18 PM
Thanks I think it the bar should of been chrome from the factory. Look on e bay search 2010 SRX Grill Insert. They are mfg by CCI very good quality and fit.

jjjleblanc
09-07-11, 07:00 PM
NOW I can see the big difference when you show it against the normal grill. I think it looks great and the color of your SRX blends in very well with it too. :thumbsup:

I think it is a nice option if one wants to stand out from the normal SRX crowd. However, for me I think I will stay with the stock grill for now anyways on my ICE SRX. Thanks for sharing those great photos! :)

*I think that look could be enhanced even further if GM were to offer an option to have the lower portion of the grill to be finished in the same bright silver material.

Marc, thanks and totally agree about the offerings for the lower sections. It would be interesting to see this grille with Radiant Silver.

jjjleblanc
09-07-11, 07:03 PM
Thanks I think it the bar should of been chrome from the factory. Look on e bay search 2010 SRX Grill Insert. They are mfg by CCI very good quality and fit.

Delores, the overlays look great with the factory chrome. The pictures on ebay don't represent them very well. Looks like you should be their photographer!

darkom
09-22-11, 12:34 PM
Are you guys sure the bright silver grille is simply an option on the 2012s? Every 2012 SRX at my local dealer has this bright grille. I find it hard to believe the dealer installed it on every truck that was delivered.

jjjleblanc
09-22-11, 06:16 PM
Are you guys sure the bright silver grille is simply an option on the 2012s? Every 2012 SRX at my local dealer has this bright grille. I find it hard to believe the dealer installed it on every truck that was delivered.

The Bright Grille is listed in the order guide as available, not standard.

When I placed an order in early July I thought it was standard since it was listed as "New". After taking a closer look at the guide, I called my sales rep to add the grille but it was already in production so the order could not be changed. They ordered the grille as an accessory so we could compare when the car was delivered and make a decision.

The car arrived with the black grille and I opted to have the bright grille installed by the dealer before taking possession. The black grille is in a box in my garage.

Reading some other posts, it seems the bright grille has always been available as an aftermarket accessory and the change for 2012 is it became a factory installed option (free flow RPO code - VAS). Hope this helps!

cz9h3d
09-22-11, 09:21 PM

The bright grille is only available as a dealer installed part. Either as an accessory bought from the dealer, or ordered with the car - in which case it gets on the vehicle invoice, but is still shipped to the dealer for installation. Great compare on the goldmist car. It's not a super dramatic change, but still looks good.