: Another cut spring thread, yes I've searched

Junkie414
06-15-11, 01:59 PM
I've seen that most of you that cut your springs are cutting 1/4 coil off the D3 springs up front. Well I want it a little lower then that, has anybody cut more then that? I'm considering 1/2 coil front and rear if its possible. Will probably dive into it later this week after doing some more research. Also going with the 305/265 RE-11's and from what I've seen in several of those threads there is still a solid amount of wheel gap with non cut D3 springs

musclesbmf
06-15-11, 02:11 PM
1/2 off the front probably ok. I wouldn't do more than 1/4 in the rear though.
Just my $.02

Mark

hemi2LS
06-15-11, 02:12 PM
Are you cutting yours yourself? You got me thinking about cutting mines now and just say screw the driveway. Will do it after car gets done from being painted, but from how low you were before your going to need to drive around with a flatbed just to get into parking lots.

Junkie414
06-15-11, 02:28 PM
1/2 off the front probably ok. I wouldn't do more than 1/4 in the rear though.
Just my $.02

Mark

Thats actually exactly what I was thinking

Are you cutting yours yourself? You got me thinking about cutting mines now and just say screw the driveway. Will do it after car gets done from being painted, but from how low you were before your going to need to drive around with a flatbed just to get into parking lots.

lol nah man. Every car I've had has been slammed. I love things in the weeds, if you want I can do some experimenting with mine before you pull the trigger on yours. Send me your number.

baabootoo
06-15-11, 03:27 PM

I hope you are a stand-up comic, because you are good; seriously! :)

Junkie414
06-15-11, 10:09 PM
well I cut 1/4 coil off front and rear and added the "sleeves" everyone talks about at the top and bottom of the springs. Well now it has a really annoying squeal, like rubber on rubber or something like that up front. When I push down on the passenger front by hand I can hear it but not the drivers front. Also noticed that I cant get the top nut on the strut tight with my electric impact or by hand so I suspect thats it. Anybody have some tips on getting that 1 nut tighter? Maybe a trick way to load the car and put more pressure on it?

COUPE DE JOUR
06-15-11, 10:18 PM
Yes, I have. I cut off half a coil and nothing but problems. Looks great, rides fine but now i get massive carriage like squeking and it's not from the springs. It seems only to be coming from the front. We sleeved them and still the problem occurs. My cady mechanic clearly states that we changed the whole dynamics of the suspension by reducing it that low. He believes the strut or control arms have been effected and now wants to attemps to regrease the bushings and see if that cures the problem.

what a headace but it does look good. i hope to resovle the issue but if anyone has had the same problems, please let me know what can be done.

Junkie414
06-15-11, 10:34 PM
Yes, I have. I cut off half a coil and nothing but problems. Looks great, rides fine but now i get massive carriage like squeking and it's not from the springs. It seems only to be coming from the front. We sleeved them and still the problem occurs. My cady mechanic clearly states that we changed the whole dynamics of the suspension by reducing it that low. He believes the strut or control arms have been effected and now wants to attemps to regrease the bushings and see if that cures the problem.

what a headace but it does look good. i hope to resovle the issue but if anyone has had the same problems, please let me know what can be done.

No way im running into that issue with only 1/4 cut front and rear though correct?

hemi2LS
06-15-11, 11:02 PM
lol nah man. Every car I've had has been slammed. I love things in the weeds, if you want I can do some experimenting with mine before you pull the trigger on yours. Send me your number.[/QUOTE]

sent you my number. You have to let me know how that goes. I'g going to have to do something about ride height so my look is complete.

I hope you are a stand-up comic, because you are good; seriously! :)

I think ive heard that pretty much all my life. I wish, I can joke and clown around a small group of people, but on a stage they would be laughing for a totally diffrent reason.

musclesbmf
06-16-11, 11:26 AM

Pass though socket with an open end wrench holding the square end of the top strut bolt.

Domsz06
06-16-11, 02:09 PM
you guys are brave! that or you must have some solid roads. I have the d3's sitting in my garage and haven't decided to lower it yet. It's hard enough driving my z06 in houston when pulling in and out of lots, not sure I want to do that to my dd.....

musclesbmf
06-16-11, 02:49 PM
^^^
Two totally different animals. My V still sits almost 2 inches (maybe more) than my Z06 did. You should have no issues with the car lowered. IMO...

Domsz06
06-16-11, 03:18 PM
^^^
Two totally different animals. My V still sits almost 2 inches (maybe more) than my Z06 did. You should have no issues with the car lowered. IMO...

are you just stock d3? or did you cut off too? If my v is a full 2 in higher then my z your right I'd have no issues, or little issues. I hit the bottom of one of the driveways the other day in my v, yeah some of the driveways here are SUPER steep and just thought I'd make it... :( no damage thank goodness.

laynrockers
06-16-11, 03:21 PM

Ive always had cars that lay frame this is the one car I am reluctant to cut up. Can you send me pics of ur car so i can see how low you got with cutting the springs. Also did you cut the stocks or D3/eibach's.

Thanks

klt07@mac.com

musclesbmf
06-16-11, 04:00 PM
are you just stock d3? or did you cut off too? If my v is a full 2 in higher then my z your right I'd have no issues, or little issues. I hit the bottom of one of the driveways the other day in my v, yeah some of the driveways here are SUPER steep and just thought I'd make it... :( no damage thank goodness.

I installed Hard bar bolts on my Z and trimmed some of the bushings off them. It was slammed to say the least plus I had a ZR1 chin on it.
My springs are Eibachs and I have 3/8 coil trimmed from the front springs. Even in that config with the V, the Z was CONSIDERABLY lower.

Mark

Junkie414
06-16-11, 06:51 PM
Well verdict is in

-Ride is great, didn't seem to change at all
-fixed the noise issue, took apart pretty much the entire front end and lubed everything up really well.
-car hasn't settled yet I don't think but currently sitting at just a tad under 26.75" in the rear and a tad over 26.75" in the front. I think another .25 coil will do the trick. Still wish I could get lower without having to spend an insane amount of money on coil overs.

gonna put the DR's on tomorrow and hit the track this weekend to see how it does with more power and new springs.

glgjr
06-16-11, 08:35 PM
Junkie,

What track do you plan on going to tomorrow?

Gene

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Junkie414
06-16-11, 09:19 PM
Junkie,

What track do you plan on going to tomorrow?

Gene

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Leaning towards Denton