: Daytime Running Lights (DLR) Discussion

Bigron
06-15-11, 12:13 PM
I really am not happy with our DLRs. The LEDs strip is great, but the DRLs with the halogen bulb represent Cadillac cutting a corner in n otherwise very well executed headlight.
With the V1 I was able to pickup a modified the circuit that disabled the DRLs, but I would rather just swap the bulb out for LEDs or another solution.

So here are a couple questions:
Are the DRL bulbs accessible from under the car or from the wheel well (similar to the V1 city lights)? Maybe something I can tackle while doing the Foglight HID swap.
If not is there a write up with pictures for removing the bumper?
What is the bulb type for the DLRs?

Anyone that has completed the mod and can provide insight and pictures would be appreciated. I did a search and after skimming 100+ threads I decided to start a new one.

hlantin
06-15-11, 12:35 PM
+1. i'm interested as well..

haterinc
06-15-11, 12:35 PM
i too am looking to swap out the DRLs so i'm looking forward to a response. i've done some searches and seen a lot of fog light swaps and mention of DRLs but never a concrete DRL swap success?

Bigron
06-15-11, 12:51 PM
The one guy selling LEDs said he had removed the bumper and done the swap but no details. Maybe Rippy can at least provide the bulb number to get the ball rolling.

thebigjimsho
06-15-11, 04:55 PM
DRLs are useless. I just turn them off whenever I start the V...

SuperBeast
06-15-11, 05:23 PM
how to u turn off the daytime running lights?

Bigron
06-15-11, 05:30 PM
I assume he means clicking the lights to the first setting so the pipe lights are on or clicking it towards you and disabling the auto on lights.

Also searching some more post, someone claims to have just pulled the DRL fuse to disable them.
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2008-cadillac-cts-appearance-mods/128921-how-disable-daytime-running-lights-drls.html

Bigron
06-15-11, 05:36 PM
I summarized the http://www.sylvania.com/ replacement bulb guide

2010 CADILLAC CTS (With HID (high intensity discharge) headlamps)

High & low beam headlamp
HID-D1S

Parking light

Front turn signal

Tail light, Stop light, High mount stop light, Back up light, Rear sidemarker, Rear turn signal
LED

Fog/Driving light
H11

License plate

Front sidemarker

Map light
PC175

Dome light

Trunk/Cargo area
211-2

Daytime running light

Bigron
06-15-11, 05:42 PM
5201 appear to have the same base as a 5202 bulb
There are some sites saying the 1157 bulb will work as well.

readyact
06-15-11, 05:55 PM
I hate DRLs period and I just turn them off. When I first got the car I was going to attempt to at least put LEDs in for the DRLs, but the passenger side appears to be difficult to get to. I noticed the driver's side seemed very accessible when I was installing my CAI, but by that time I gave up on doing anything with the DRLs. I think the ride looks nice with just the LED pipes or HOEN fogs on.

GMX322V S/C
06-16-11, 12:05 AM
DRLs are useless. I just turn them off whenever I start the V...
I just pulled the fuses under the hood

jspridge
06-16-11, 10:27 AM
I just pulled the fuses under the hood Any error messages or other problems since you did that?

Kadonny
06-16-11, 10:49 AM
I'm another one who clicks them off each time I start the car.

jft69z
06-16-11, 11:10 AM
I just pulled the fuses under the hood

Same here on my '11 Coupe. No error messages but on the Coupe the one DRL fuse is tied in with the windshield washers. I typically don't drive the car in bad weather so it's a non-issue for me.

haterinc
06-16-11, 01:47 PM
yikes, why not just turn em off manually. where do you live? i don't want to think you're out on the rd around me when a flash storm pops up and you're squinting through rain drops lol

jft69z
06-16-11, 01:52 PM
yikes, why not just turn em off manually. where do you live? i don't want to think you're out on the rd around me when a flash storm pops up and you're squinting through rain drops lol

Windshield WASHERS, not wipers.

GM-4-LIFE
06-16-11, 02:39 PM
Why not just pull the DRL bulbs out completely and be done with it?

If you pull the DRL bulbs out, I wonder if you will get an error message on the DIC.

jft69z
06-16-11, 03:04 PM
Why not just pull the DRL bulbs out completely and be done with it?

If you pull the DRL bulbs out, I wonder if you will get an error message on the DIC.

I don't remember why now, but at the time the fuses won out. They were probably buried behind a few things that I didn't have the time to move. Plus I don't like to just remove the bulbs, you can sometimes see the empty socket thru the lens (my Buick LaCrosse was that way).

Domsz06
06-16-11, 03:22 PM
I always just turn em off, run the side led's and the fogs. I had the led fogs so they matched, and the HID's are sitting in my trunk to install. I love the way that looks. I hate how the DRL's make the car look Cheap.

GM-4-LIFE
06-16-11, 04:34 PM
I don't think you can see the DRL bulbs through the headlamp assembly as they have the lenses covering the actual signal and DRL bulbs.

jft69z
06-16-11, 04:55 PM
I don't think you can see the DRL bulbs through the headlamp assembly as they have the lenses covering the actual signal and DRL bulbs.

I'm not anywhere near the car at this point. In the past I just pulled the fuses (2009 GMC 2500HD truck & 97 ETC) real simple, no strings attached. The V has the washers tied to the fuse & the LaCrosse has no fuses at all, it appears to go thru the BCM with no separate fuse for the DRLs as in the past. I just hate the things & want them gone without having to turn them off everytime I get in the car...call me lazy, I don't care.

GM-4-LIFE
06-16-11, 07:14 PM
Call me crazy, but I actually want the DRL's to be on during the day, so people see me coming. Here in L.A., people drive like shit and with a black V Coupe, people wouldn't be able to see me when they pull out and I don't want to risk getting into an accident.

I wish GM did some high tech LED DRLs like the new Chevy Volt and like the Audis and Mercedes on the road. The LED DRLs look distinct and I love that look. It doesn't have to have that Audi or Mercedes LED strip, but maybe a cluster of big bright LEDs would look cool. The Volt LED DRLs look pretty cool.

thebigjimsho
06-16-11, 07:18 PM
People will see little lights on the front of your car but not the 4200lb black car itself? Sure...

GM-4-LIFE
06-16-11, 07:22 PM
People will see little lights on the front of your car but not the 4200lb black car itself? Sure...

You ever drive in L.A.? I have for about 20 years now and trust me, you need all the help you can get!

thebigjimsho
06-16-11, 07:39 PM
I guess. LA is pretty nuts. Not NYC nuts, but close...

mberisha
06-17-11, 06:47 AM
NYC is nuts....but they don't have the highway system debacle like LA has.....and just about all of SoCal.....

thebigjimsho
06-17-11, 01:02 PM
It's because they don't have the room...

GMX322V S/C
06-18-11, 03:15 AM
Any error messages or other problems since you did that?Nope. Been running this way since Dec 2008. Pulling the fuses only affected my DRLs, nothing more.

sfv41901
09-06-11, 01:12 AM
The DRL's are considered 5202 or 9009 or h16. They can be found on ebay & other online sellers. There is a company called plasma glow that has them with a 10 warranty. They are listed for $90+. JC Whitney also has them for $79 and are under the same 10 year warranty

baabootoo
09-06-11, 02:14 AM
Nope. Been running this way since Dec 2008. Pulling the fuses only affected my DRLs, nothing more.

Ditto as of a few weeks, and thousands of miles, ago.