: Aftermarket Alarm creating electrical havok

xiruffridahix
10-15-04, 04:06 PM
So the warning indicators on my dashboard started periodically blinking for no reason and there was an obvious lag from when i punched the gas pedal and the engine kicked in. I took it to the dealership and they told me it was from the aftermarket alarm i had professionally installed. apparently, the dealer said they tapped into the wrong place. (whatever that means). the dealership said they are getting many complaints like this with the 2002 ext's when an aftermarket alarm gets installed. anyone ever hear of this?

TRASHAULER
10-15-04, 04:48 PM
Is it an aftermarket alarm or car starter w/ an alarm? Alarms don't normally cause any troubles whereas starters if installed wrong will raise havok. Most of the time if there is trouble in a vehicle the car dealers blame aftermarket equipment---even if it isnt realated!

hcvone
10-18-04, 08:47 AM
I have seen aftermarket alarms cause a lot of problems, I had a shop that I thought was a good shop because of the type of cars they worked on install an alarm several cars ago for me, it costs me three times the price to get all the problems it caused fixed due to where they spliced the alarm into, so yes it can be a problem. :(

joshuap
10-18-04, 09:42 AM
Any problem you have with your vehicle a dealership will blame on an alarm...been there, done that, and have proven them wrong about 5 times now...However, it is possible that the alarm could cause a problem. Did this start right after the alarm was installed? Cause if not, I seriously doubt the alarm is to blame, unless one wire to the alarm rubbed on something and rubbed the insulated coating off, so the metal wire is shorting...

xiruffridahix
10-21-04, 05:35 PM
Thought I'd keep you guys updated. So I had the aftermarket alarm un-installed the other day and took it back to Cadillac for them to do another diagnostic. They said it is fine now, but I have yet to see. So far, it's been running fine, but I don't wanna speak too soon. I'll update again in a bit.

hcvone
10-21-04, 06:20 PM
Thought I'd keep you guys updated. So I had the aftermarket alarm un-installed the other day and took it back to Cadillac for them to do another diagnostic. They said it is fine now, but I have yet to see. So far, it's been running fine, but I don't wanna speak too soon. I'll update again in a bit.

I hope that takes care of your problem :)

T_Dogg8
10-22-04, 07:18 AM
good luck. hopefully that'll clear it up.

mastertech
10-22-04, 09:19 AM
As a Cadillac technician, I can say with complete honesty that I have seen some of the most shoddy work ever done on a car by the people who install aftermarket equipment. Don't get me wrong, when properly installed, most aftermarket stuff will not cause any problems. The thing you have to remember is where I have to have a license to work on cars, with hundreds of hours of training under my belt, and years of experience, any 18 yr old kid with a pair of crimpers can be installing stuff in your 50 or 60 thousand dollar vehicle....need I say more? I've seen places try to mount a flip down TV screen in an EXT by shoving a piece of plywood in the headliner and running sheet metal screws into it to hold it up....except they mounted it right behind the moonroof, so it ripped it right off the tracks when the customer tried to open it..... I've seen car alarms spliced into serial data lines with scotch-clips, I've seen bare wires twisted around mini-fuse legs.... It has to do with the quality of the install....choose your place wisely!

hcvone
10-22-04, 10:36 AM
As a Cadillac technician, I can say with complete honesty that I have seen some of the most shoddy work ever done on a car by the people who install aftermarket equipment. Don't get me wrong, when properly installed, most aftermarket stuff will not cause any problems. The thing you have to remember is where I have to have a license to work on cars, with hundreds of hours of training under my belt, and years of experience, any 18 yr old kid with a pair of crimpers can be installing stuff in your 50 or 60 thousand dollar vehicle....need I say more? I've seen places try to mount a flip down TV screen in an EXT by shoving a piece of plywood in the headliner and running sheet metal screws into it to hold it up....except they mounted it right behind the moonroof, so it ripped it right off the tracks when the customer tried to open it..... I've seen car alarms spliced into serial data lines with scotch-clips, I've seen bare wires twisted around mini-fuse legs.... It has to do with the quality of the install....choose your place wisely!

I agree 100%, it happened to me several years ago on one of my Suburbans. :(

T_Dogg8
10-22-04, 11:23 AM
that's the reason why i don't let anyone i don't know well and trust touch any vehicle of mine. if in doubt, i'll do it myself. at least that way i can blame myself and i know i'd be extra careful.

MEJIA
10-22-04, 01:16 PM

I agree with you, thats why when I find a problem with my truck I post it on this forums, to see if any one has a DIY fix. If so, I careffully try to solve it myself. If not I take it to the dealer, it costs more $$$ but at least you know certified persons are working with my vehicle.

Mejia

TRASHAULER
10-22-04, 03:13 PM
I don't mean to sound crappy, but the WORST thing to happen to aftermarket electronics was the internet! "Oh i can save a few bucks by buying it online" & THEY said it was easy to install! If the customer wont buy it in our shop they are probably not going to pay a certified installer to do it either. Most shops including ours, have MECP certified installers. I know that most of the newer autos are tough to install electronics into so when I see an electonics retailer offer FREE INSTALLATION I get scared! Hey mastertech, you know as well as I do there are horror stories about gm dealers also, cerified or not, but I don't care what occupation somebody is in, there will be bad stories about something that has happened. If you are going to have aftermarket equipment installed ask alot of questions & find a trustworthy installation shop!!

jeff :)
www.tintmyride.com

mastertech
10-25-04, 02:10 PM
Trashauler is right, there are hacks anywhere you go....what if people could actually speak to and choose the mechanic that is actually going to be working on your car? What if hospitals were like dealers and other shops? Would you drop off your grandma at the front door for that hip replacement and tell the receptionist to give you a call when she's mobile? Hell no, you wouldn't. Don't hesitate to ask to speak to the technician or installer, and go with your gut feeling. If they can't speak coherently and answer any questions or concerns you have, TAKE IT ELSEWHERE. Don't let a high pressure salesperson talk you into a crappy job just to save a few bucks. You''l probably pay for it (and then some) in the long run. Cheers!

xiruffridahix
10-30-04, 02:06 AM
:madtalkin Ok. So now i'm officially frustrated. As I posted earlier, I got the aftermarket alarm removed and took it back to the dealership (Putnam Cadillac in Burlingame). They told me that everything was fine and that I should not have anymore problems.

So the truck runs fine for a week, then all of a sudden, the same freakin problem occurs. Which tells me that it was NOT the aftermarket alarm as the dealer specified. Now I really do not know what is wrong with my truck. It did the same thing that it did the last time.

While I was driving, the Airbag, Brake & ABS lights started blinking and kept blinking for a good 30 seconds. Then the Service Engine Soon light came on and stayed on for a half hour. During all this, my transmission felt as if it was seriously broken. I would press the accellerator to the floor and the engine would not engage until it hit about 3000 RPMs. After doing that a couple of times, I stopped, turned the truck off and re-started it. After I re-started it, the truck ran totally normal again.

Anyone know what this could be or what I should do?

I don't think Putnam Cadillac (Burlingame, CA.) knew what was wrong with it since they mis-diagnosed it the first 2 times so I took it to Serramonte Cadillac this time in Daly City. Hopefully, they can figure it out.

Sorry to be so negative everyone, but I love my truck and just hate it when anything goes wrong with it.

xiruffridahix
11-04-04, 05:43 PM
Ok, so I wanted to post my latest update. I got the truck back from Serramonte Cadillac in Daly City. They said they had to replace the ignition switch or somethin like that. I've been driving it for a couple days now and so far so good. Hope that's the last time I have to bring it in for that. I'm takin the truck up to Tahoe to go snowboarding this weekend and don't want ANY problems.