: You never know when things will sneak up on you.

ga_etc
06-15-11, 04:53 AM
Shortly after I posted the thread about the Taurus, my mother knocked on my bedroom door. I live with her and my grandmother, and help them around the house and do whatever needs to be done that they cannot. My grandmother has been in very good health for as long as I can remember and has always been active doing something. Usually tinkering with some flowers in the yard, or the like. At 72 years old she gets around better than a lot of people half her age. Well, when mom knocked on my door I was in for a shock. She told me she needed my help to pick my grandmother up out of her bathroom floor because she had fallen. After calling 911 and her having a CT scan at the hospital we learned the fall was due to temporary paralysis caused by a stroke. A STROKE. Just out of nowhere. I know that's how they happen, but boy does it take you by surprise when it happens. Luckily the hospital moved quickly and she's already doing better than she was when she arrived. I know she's not out of the woods yet, but I'm optimistic. She's a hell of a woman.

I know this doesn't mean much to most who will read this, but I felt it a good opportunity to remind everyone just how much we take everything in our lives for granted. You never know what is going to happen from one minute to the next so make the best of what you have.

greencadillacmatt
06-15-11, 04:58 AM
Last year my Grandfather passed away very unexpectedly. He had heart problems, but it was just out of nowhere. That was certainly a reminder of what you said. He had been in and out of the hospital a lot, and I know how truly frightening that can be. I wish your Grandmother, you, and your family the best of luck, and may be she recover quickly and completely. Godspeed.

Playdrv4me
06-15-11, 04:58 AM
I know you and I already talked, but I really do wish your Grandmother the best and a hopefully speedy recovery.

ga_etc
06-15-11, 05:02 AM
Thanks guys. I'm sure I could have conveyed what I intended to say a little better, but my mind is a little scattered. It just astounds me that SO much can change in an instant. It really makes you take pause and think.

ben.gators
06-15-11, 07:58 AM
I wish fast recovery for your grandmother. Yes, I hear what you are saying, and I'm with you. We get used to current condition and forget the fact that it can (and it will) change......

My grandmother passed away because of heart stroke. She was about 80 years old, and she was really healthy. She had an stroke while she was doing her daily works, and that is it. Two years later, my other grandmother got cancer, a very aggressive one.... And she suffered so much that we started to wish she had had stroke instead of cancer... Sometimes life can be very brutal...

I~LUV~Caddys8792
06-15-11, 08:35 AM
Wow, hoping for a quick recovery!

Ranger
06-15-11, 11:56 AM
Thoughts and wishes are with her for a speedy and complete recovery.

ga_etc
06-15-11, 12:22 PM
Thanks guys. I'll update as I know how she's doing.

hueterm
06-15-11, 12:39 PM
Austin, I hope she gets better soon. My mom died from an aneuryism -- within seconds she was unconscious and she never recovered.

You never know what life will bring, so live it without regret -- if not for you, then for your loved ones.

gary88
06-15-11, 01:12 PM
Damn, sorry to hear :( I've had a few things come up instantly in the past year and they definitely do take you by surprise.

Aron9000
06-15-11, 02:58 PM
So sorry to hear this Austin. Best wishes to your grandma, hope she makes a quick recovery.

gdwriter
06-15-11, 03:04 PM
Thanks guys. I'll update as I know how she's doing.Please do. As I mentioned on the phone last night, that she was healthy and active should help her recovery.

orconn
06-15-11, 03:28 PM
I am very sorry to hear about your grandmother's stroke, Austen. But glad to hear she was able to get medical attention quickly. The various treatments that are available today greatly enhance a positive prognosis for stroke victims, my hope is that your grandmother benefits from these treatments and makes a speedy, full recovery.

So much has been learned about strokes and the recovery possible from the damage that they inflict, that a stroke is no longer a precursor to an impaired future existence that it once was. The plasticity of the brain and its' ability to mend and compensate for the damage caused by cerebral stroke is truly amazing!

My very best wishes for your grandmother's full recovery, and hopes for her for a long and happy life!

ga_etc
06-15-11, 09:30 PM
Not real sure what's going on with my grandmother right now. The doctor from the ER said she has blood clots in her brain that they're concerned may dislodge and cause problems. The neurologist talked like it's just a minor stroke and with some physical therapy she will be fine. I fuking hate this local hospital.

Destroyer
06-16-11, 12:03 AM
Um, yeah. I have never been to a hospital I liked nor have I ever had a doctor I liked.......all a bunch of morons. Anyway, sucks about your grandma bro. Hopefully all will be well and she will make a speedy recovery. The only grandma I'd ever known died when I was 5 of cancer. Sounds crazy but I remember her well and still miss her. Good luck to you.

billc83
06-16-11, 01:03 AM
Hospital visits are never fun...

I can only reiterate what everyone else has said, but know I'm feeling for you, brother. My mom had two strokes, and it's a scary situation, even if they're minor.

Best of luck to you and your g'ma.

Night Wolf
06-16-11, 06:23 PM
Things do happen quite fast. Last Summer my grandfather had one of those "out of nowhere" strokes and was in the hospitial for a few months, at the end having another stroke. Then I get a call saying he passed away during the day and I made an emergency trip to NY for the funeral. It wasn't expected. Hope she recovers well!

ga_etc
06-17-11, 03:47 AM
Mom spent most of the day at the hospital with her today. She said that the doctor is giving her a good outlook right now and she's doing a little better still. She was having trouble swallowing yesterday, but today she's doing better. Well enough that they're letting her eat pureed food and a milkshake.

dkozloski
06-17-11, 04:20 AM
I hope she recovers quickly but not so quickly that it'll jar her into watching health issues a little more closely.

Give her a hug and tell her you love her at least twice a day.

ga_etc
06-17-11, 03:12 PM
Sitting at the hospital with her and my parents now. She has improved enough that they're getting the paperwork together to discharge her and move her to a facility in Cleveland called Health South. It's supposed to be one of the best facilities around here for rehabilitation therapy. They have a program to work on patients one on one and as a group. She should be moved a little later this afternoon.

ben.gators
06-17-11, 04:04 PM
Happy to hear this... please keep us updated.

ga_etc
06-17-11, 04:23 PM
I will. They've already been back in talking to us. Everything is moving pretty quickly. They're shooting to have her out of here at 4 o'clock. Everyone is saying this HealthSouth is a very good facility with a pretty rigorous physical therapy program. The lady from there that came in and talked to us said she'll be doing 3-4 hours of pt a day with an expected stay of 3 weeks. It's in Chattanooga, not Cleveland. Either way it's close enough for all of the family to get there without much hassle.

Stingroo
06-17-11, 11:44 PM
Good to hear man. :)

CadillacCastle
06-18-11, 01:48 AM
I'm glad to hear she is getting better.

ga_etc
06-18-11, 02:35 AM
They did get her moved today. Everything has been hectic, but I think we're to a point where we can all breathe a little now. I certainly hope so anyway.