: Lincoln LS's....

I~LUV~Caddys8792
06-15-11, 12:15 AM
Don't know much about them, but I'm getting interested in learning more.

I always thought they were kind of bland looking... they're not ugly, but they're not downright gorgeous, lately I've been kinda warming up to their design.

Are they really fun to drive? I seem to remember hearing someone post that they're as close to an American version of the E39 5 Series as anyone did in 2000. 252-280hp from a 3.9L twin cam 32v V8 sounds like a good thing to bring to the party.

Reliable? Or a mess to deal with?

Not looking to purchase, just to enrich my knowledge and expand my horizons a bit.

I know a few people on here have owned them, looking forward to getting a nice discussion going.

Destroyer
06-15-11, 12:20 AM
I'm interested in hearing about these cars too. I don't know much about them. I contemplated buying one a few years ago but didn't like it at all when I sat in one (similar to a Cadillac CTS experience). Last year I found one on Craigslist with a swapped 5.0 (302) Mustang motor and a slew of other mods. It was sold by the time I called though.

ThumperPup
06-15-11, 12:33 AM
the LS was a nice car the LS 8 wich was there V8 option and the the V6 with the Manual is the best
also if it where me i would be out looking for that needle in a haystack i have had a few friends with the 00-01 that say they had problems with things such as the engine head gaskets wich i never had a problem in the 02 i had but didn't have it long enough to have issues with it between the time i bought it and 3 months latter breaking my Left Ankle so got ride of it
had 1 friend tell me about horor storys with his Trans in his 01 had it services every 25k and the fluid burnt up ones around 130k miles on it had to have it replaced
but what i say when i say look for that needle in a hay stack is the 02 with the G-221 manual Transmission
that is where the fun begins not many here know about it but there are a few i know who do know the ls was offered with the Standard Manual Trans but they cut that out in 03 it just was not popular in the states

i got great MPG with the V8 and Manual Trans i was pulling around 29mpg on road trips some friends where down right jelouse with my Highway MPG city droped ot about 19-21 and combined was at 22 i think

Playdrv4me
06-15-11, 12:33 AM
I'm pretty sure I was the one who mentioned they were one of the most purely BMW-like cars we've produced, at least up to that point. And while I'm sure the engineers had a lot to do with that, I think it was probably just sheer luck more than anything that it came out so "right". I never drove the rare manuals, but Jesda did and I rode along with him. I could see in his eyes and demeanor that he had a HELL of a lot of fun driving the 6 cylinder with the manual and REALLY regretted the BS that shitty Atlanta dealer put him through to turn his back on the car.

Regardless, unless the manual is an absolute necessity, I would skip the 2000-02 altogether. Automatic 2000s had transmission issues, and just general first year teething problems. As far as the best bang for the buck, that would be a 2003 V8 Sport. That year they upgraded to a more streamlined luxurious appearance with red and clear tail lamps, Xenon headlamps, THX Audio with the Touchscreen navigation system, heated and cooled seats, better quality construction, better wheel choices and other little upgrades.

There also special LSE models with blacked out trim and unique wheels that look pretty bad ass.

Aron9000
06-15-11, 01:38 AM
Wasn't the V8 a Jaguar??? I know the S-type Jag was the same car under the skin, same v6 and v8 motors. Except you could get the Jag with a supercharged v8 that was balls to the wall fast.

Playdrv4me
06-15-11, 02:50 AM
Wasn't the V8 a Jaguar??? I know the S-type Jag was the same car under the skin, same v6 and v8 motors. Except you could get the Jag with a supercharged v8 that was balls to the wall fast.

Close... The V8s at least had some small differences, but those small differences were enough that you see many early V8 S-Types on Craigslist and Auto Trader with bad engines (with the same types of failures XKs of that time-frame suffered from), while the Lincoln LS V8s suffered from far less engine problems overall. For example, the Lincoln version of the Jaguar AJ V8 was specific to Ford (Thunderbird) and Lincoln ONLY and was produced at a Ford assembly plant in Ohio verus England. The Lincoln version produced 252hp while the Jaguar version produced 281hp at introduction.

Then beginning in 2003 the Jaguar moved on to a 4.2L version of this motor while the LS soldiered on with the same 3.9L displacement and only slightly improved power at 280hp. This was a partially contributing factor to the LS's demise in my opinion, along with poor marketing. Had the LS received an SVT variant based on the Supercharged 4.2L, steady improvements and proper support in marketing, I think the car we'd have today would be something as spectacular as the Jaguar XF (which continues to use a revised version of that same old DEW98 platform underneath, it was a GOOD, no GREAT platform). Certainly it would be 1000 times better than the MKZ and MKS garbage that replaced it.

Also an interesting tidbit regarding the "LS" moniker that I was reminded of when I was checking some facts on Wikipedia... Around the same time that Toyota jumped Ford's nuts for wanting to call the cars "LS6" and "LS8", Ford was firing back at Toyota for considering use of the "T150" moniker for their full sized pickup truck. What resulted was a stalemate in which the LS simply became the "LS" plus the engine type (which in my opinion is more confusing to the public than LS6 and LS8 versus LS400, since most people call the Lexus car simply "LS" as well), and the T150 became the Tundra.

Jesda
06-15-11, 04:16 AM
What Ian said, also:

The V8 LS is among the best-handling midsize luxury cars of its time. It feels natural, balanced, and steady around corners with excellent ride comfort. And to me, its the best looking sedan since the Seville. The perfectly arched roof on the straight, broad-shouldered body looks modern and powerful. The interior isn't up to the level of its competitors, but its still nice. Its not overtly cheap inside like a Chrysler 300, but it has large gaps between the trim pieces (especially the otherwise nice looking wood) and doesn't smell very upscale.

Coil packs will go bad. They simply will. Price them out.

The LS is on my want list.

Lord Cadillac
06-15-11, 04:47 AM
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2006/09/233987380_a6a2d911ef.jpg
The LSE was a nice car. At the time I was ALL into Mark 7s and 8s - so I wasn't crazy about the LS6 and LS8 - but they were nice looking. I raced an LS8 with my Eldorado Touring Coupe and couldn't beat it. In fact, it was ahead of me a tiny bit. I was surprised. The build quality, in my opinion, was BAD.

ben.gators
06-15-11, 06:09 AM
I really like V-8 Lincoln LS. It was in my shopping list too. But I had a better success in finding a good deal for STS, and now there is no regret about choosing STS over LS. However I still like LS and don't mind owning one of them...

96Fleetwood
06-15-11, 06:49 AM
There is a local guy who has a super clean 6 cylinder LS with the 5 speed manual. It has deep dish wheels, a nice sounding exhaust, and looks lowered. I always glanced at it but never took a close look....I will have to check it out and take some pics at this Fridays cruise night.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
06-15-11, 07:34 AM
How's the LS stack up to the 98-03 STS and CTS in terms of "fun to drive" and overall performance? I find the Seville to be the be better looking car, but the LS is RWD so from a pure performance standpoint, it's got that going for it.

Jesda
06-15-11, 08:06 AM
Much better handling than Seville STS, and I think its a bit lighter too.

But the Seville makes you feel like you really got your money's worth the way the body and interior say "expensive, and classy as f***" (even if the details dont)

I~LUV~Caddys8792
06-15-11, 08:27 AM
I like that the LS didn't need an expensive, complicated electronic suspension system to get it's good handling, just a well balanced RWD platform.

I know that the 5-Series was always what the STS was targeted towards, but it seems as though the LS is more of the american version of the 5-Series than the STS ever was.

The dealer I work at took in an 01 or 02 LS V8 on trade, and sold it shortly afterwords. I only sat in it once, and I can definitely say that the interior wasn't as nice as the Seville's. It had a lot of the same switchgear that the mid line Fords had, and that definitely detracted from the overall feel, but I guess that was improved in 2003. I've seen some 03's, and they've got a different dashboard and IP than the earlier ones, and it looks more distinctive and more expensive.

Lord Cadillac
06-15-11, 08:30 AM
I tried to get my wife into an LS once. The loved the exterior. She almost threw up when she drove it. I ended up getting her a Passat.

Stingroo
06-15-11, 08:35 AM
I want one. I like the exterior styling and the fact they could be had with a V8.

thebigjimsho
06-15-11, 11:41 AM
the LS was a nice car the LS 8 wich was there V8 option and the the V6 with the Manual is the best
also if it where me i would be out looking for that needle in a haystack i have had a few friends with the 00-01 that say they had problems with things such as the engine head gaskets wich i never had a problem in the 02 i had but didn't have it long enough to have issues with it between the time i bought it and 3 months latter breaking my Left Ankle so got ride of it
had 1 friend tell me about horor storys with his Trans in his 01 had it services every 25k and the fluid burnt up ones around 130k miles on it had to have it replaced
but what i say when i say look for that needle in a hay stack is the 02 with the G-221 manual Transmission
that is where the fun begins not many here know about it but there are a few i know who do know the ls was offered with the Standard Manual Trans but they cut that out in 03 it just was not popular in the states

i got great MPG with the V8 and Manual Trans i was pulling around 29mpg on road trips some friends where down right jelouse with my Highway MPG city droped ot about 19-21 and combined was at 22 i thinkIn your dreams...

thebigjimsho
06-15-11, 11:48 AM
My boss had an LS V8 for awhile and I drove it on a couple of occasions. The V8 was plenty powerful but I disliked the SelectShift automatic. Like many shift if you like automatics of the time, it felt little more than guesswork.

Otherwise, the LS felt solid and composed. It really is a shame how many good products Ford left to rot. The CTS is proof of the type of success Ford should've had with that car.

orconn
06-15-11, 01:15 PM
As I have said many times before, I drove the V-6 manual trans LS when it first came out in 2000. While I was impressed with the cars exterior appearance, I felt the interior was not very attractive and the materials unimpressive. The car drove OK, but was in no way approaching BMW 3 series base territory. The V- manual was around $34,000 so to get a BMW 3 series wasn't much of a stretch for a buyer. The V-*'s started at $40,000 and I don't remember them being offered with a manual transmission trans.

We ended up leasing a nicely equipped Catera, which in my opinion delivered better handling and far better build and material quality for around $32,000. We had that Catera for 39 months and had no problems with. A nice German semi sports sedan, although one not offered with a manual trans!

Ford may have made improvements to the LS and may have become a much better car than it really was in its' first few years. But he good ones, the V-8's were pricey for what they were .... why not just buy a real BMW 5 series when you are talking about a sticker of well over forty grand?

I am afraid, from my experience, the LS was just another example of auto rag hyperbole that wasn't justified in reality. An American BMW, wishful thinking to sell mags!

Playdrv4me
06-16-11, 04:10 AM
We ended up leasing a nicely equipped Catera, which in my opinion delivered better handling and far better build and material quality for around $32,000. We had that Catera for 39 months and had no problems with. A nice German semi sports sedan, although one not offered with a manual trans!

:umno: