: 82 Fleetwood 4.1 KMH Speedometer sensor Canada

ice92deville
06-14-11, 10:11 PM
Hi, does anybody here know where I can get my hands on a speed sensor that goes behind the speedometer in a Canadian version of the 82 Fleetwood Brougham 4.1l? The Caddy has amber rear turn signals (I know, ugly!!) and KM per hour speedometer.
I'm guessing the sensor is there only on the KM per hour speedometer because I can't find anything about a sensor behind the speedometer in the Haynes manual.
It's not the cable, we have checked that one out, and the check engine light says it's a speed sensor behind the speedometer.
I did not connect the vehicle to the computer so I don't have the code, the owner of the car says it is like that.
If we can't find that sensor I think it will be all right to put a MPH speedometer there instead? Is it the same cable?

sven914
06-14-11, 11:32 PM
All of the Cadillacs made in '82 had Vehicle Speed Sensors, regardless of the country they were being sold to. The VSS is only used by the computer for the cruise control and transmission Torque Converter Clutch, so I do not believe Cadillac used a special one calibrated to read in kilometers. The only sensor you will probably be able to find is one that reads in miles.

ice92deville
06-15-11, 10:19 AM
Thank you for your answer. Does that mean if this sensor is not working the speedometer should be working regardless?
The problem with the car is the speedometer isn't working, the code says it's this VSS sensor, but the cable is fine.

sven914
06-15-11, 03:52 PM
The mechanism on the back of the speedometer housing may be damaged or loose or binding. If the speedometer drive doesn't turn, the VSS can't generate a signal and the computer will think the sensor is malfunctioning (but the sensor is working as it should and speedometer is broken).

drmenard
06-16-11, 02:47 PM
I would disconnect the speedometer at the transmission... spin the cable with your fingers and have someone watch and see if the speedometer moves.. If it does than the problem is in the transmission..If than the speedometer don't move take the speedometer out and make sure the cable turns when it turned at the transmission...If it is in the speedometer you should be able to find what is not right.. I have a few of them I use for parts if you need something...