: Leaking oil into the cylinders!!!HELP!?

sizanjdf
10-15-04, 04:22 PM
Ok while changing plugs and wires and stuff I found some oil leaking into the 7th cylinder on my 77 deville with the 425. Is there anything I can put in the oil to try and help fix this or is it just screwed. Also checked the timing and it was WAY out. So far we couldnt see it with the timing light at first. I tried to reset it but the distributor wouldnt turn far enought to get it to 18 degrees. Is this because the timing chain has slipped or what? I definetly want more power than what the car has stock, so can the 425 be built up enough to do anything, or would I be better off holding out and getting either a new car or a 472 or 500

davesdeville
10-15-04, 07:33 PM
About the timing, did you remember to pull the vacuum advance line before you checked?

How can you tell oil is leaking into the cylinder?

barge master
10-15-04, 09:12 PM
The RPM's are supposed to be at like 1200 or so when you set the timing also, aren't they?

sizanjdf
10-16-04, 06:27 AM
on the driverside rear cylindery there was actually oil around the plug when we pulled it out...and the car smokes black sometimes and grayish white others...so thats why i assume its getting in the cylinders. I didnt have time to change the plugs in the rear cylinder on the passenger side, but the others didnt look to bad

davesdeville
10-16-04, 05:48 PM
The RPM's are supposed to be at like 1200 or so when you set the timing also, aren't they?

I think on my 425 it's 1600. Should say on the info sticker over where the radiator is.

As for oil in the cyl, I'm sure you know it's bad. Try a compression or leakdown test, you could need a re-ring.

Dead Sled
10-16-04, 09:46 PM
if you really are getting oil into the cylinder its most likely comming from a bad valve guide seal. but defenatly do a leak dowm test. if you hear air comming out you exhaust or intake you have bad valve seats if not and the pressure leaks down and dont hear anything its rings

sizanjdf
10-17-04, 04:48 AM
well I talked to a friend of mine today who is pretty good with engines, he said it was probably the seals too, lets hope its that easy...thanks for your input

7.0,hellyeah
10-19-04, 01:17 PM
Mine has issues just the same. When I put in all new spark plugs there was a little bit of oil on #5 and #7. I'm not going to invest that much into the car though. I might end up getting a 472 because there are more parts available and the crank with hold up to high power applications.