: What is the latest Sirius XM discount available?

NJRonbo
06-14-11, 04:51 PM
Before anyone flames me....I did search but received conflicting results.

My Sirius XM subscription is just about up.

In the past, I was able to renew at a special rate of $77 for the year. That was the best rate that many Cadillac owners had been claiming to get.

Is that the current best rate?

What is the current best rate for Navigation & Weather? I know that is not included in the $77 price.

Finally, I do know that you may even get a better deal by just threatening to cancel whereas Sirius XM will offer you 5 months for $20.

Just want to find out the best way to go about this.

GMJim
06-14-11, 09:58 PM
I got the $77 deal after saying I would cancel on my wifes vehicle a month ago.
$84.86 total. Key word say "cancel"

Smokin' SRX
06-14-11, 11:29 PM
Better than me. I just asked for best price and got $101 (with taxes) on my daughters Malibu last month......$77 ? Go for it!!SS

algiorda
06-15-11, 08:02 AM
I also was offered the $25 for 5 months and an $84 per year multi-radio discount.

Audioi
06-18-11, 07:13 AM
I got 6 months at $19.95 on one car and $77 a year on the other.
Yes key word is cancel, cancel.

Dean5101
06-18-11, 02:29 PM
Gah I just tried calling today.. they wouldn't budge.. my service expires tomorrow. :( I did ask about the $77 deal she said I did not qualify but wouldn't tell me why lol. I rarely use XM and the traffic on it is wrong about 90% of the time. :( Would like to keep it though!

Should I call back later in the day or wait till after my free trial ends?

GMJim
06-18-11, 06:26 PM
You got to say, i would like to "cancel." They then send you to the cancellation dept, and the deals begin.

NJRonbo
04-10-14, 03:30 PM
Wanted to bring this thread back to light again.

These folks at Sirius are such crooks if you let them be.

I play this game with them year after year....

They are always raising their rates.

Back in 2011 and again in 2012, I renewed at $77 a year. This year it was double that price to renew.

So, I went through the normal "game play" of saying I wanted to cancel. I was sent to the final operator who tried to give me a better price, but I didn't have enough faith that I was being given the absolute best price so I just cancelled the service.

A month later, I get a letter sent to my home. 6 months of service for $25.

What a deal!

So, I get on the phone with the operator who tells me, "okay, $25 plus $5 royalty fees equals $30 for 6 months service."

I said, "Hold on, this letter says $25. Nothing about extra charges. Forget the offer." The operator tells me he will remove the added royalty fees.

Same thing happened to another person on this forum. He didn't want to provide a credit card so the operator said an invoice fee of $3-$4 was being added. The member said forget it, and suddenly the extra charges got removed.

I have never seen a company that you have to play so many games with not to get taken advantage of.

Fortunately, if you know how a service like SIRIUS operates, chances are if you keep telling them you want to cancel....and even end up doing so for a month....you will get the best deal to come back.

Noncon
04-10-14, 08:13 PM
Sounds like Onstar

jrose7004
04-11-14, 12:49 AM
The SiriusXM operators try and talk so fast and trick you into saying yes to add on things that they're about as bad as F&I guys at dealerships.

NJRonbo
04-11-14, 02:58 AM
So here's the little trick that those little crooks pulled on me....

Just got a confirmation of my renewal.

They did charge my credit card $30 after I negotiated $25.

They gave me a *non refundable credit* of $5 on the account to make up the difference.

So, what if I never renew again? I'm still paying more than I should have.

So, now I have to call SiriusXM back and cancel my subscription in order to get my total amount refunded.

GGMiv
04-11-14, 01:39 PM
Siriusly :). You own a Cadillac and you're upset by a $5 fee? I, too,have played this game with XM since my first radio several years ago. But there always comes a point where I am satisfied with my deal on both radios and just take the deal I am offered and move on and enjoy the service. I always try for a 12 month deal so I only have to deal with them once a year. I'm good through January 2015 for both cars.

NJRonbo
04-11-14, 02:13 PM
It's not the $5 fee.

It's the games that you have to play with Sirius to get the best deal and the underhanded extra fees that they add until you call them out on it.

Really, I bet the Better Business Bureau would be very interested to hear about these deceptive practices. I know Sirius was caught by them a few years back for playing renewal games.

georule
04-11-14, 03:27 PM
I suppose it depends how hard you want to bargain and go round-and-round on the phone. I just got a year of XM Select + TravelLink + NavTraffic for 1/2 price without spending more than 10 mins on it. That was good enough for me.

NJRonbo
04-11-14, 03:30 PM
^^^^

It can be done -- and it doesn't take more than 10 minutes.

You just turn down the first offer and go for cancellation. They'll give you a good deal.

Ponyman
04-12-14, 11:02 AM
I have the direct line to the cancellation dept. Just called this week, and told them either give me the same rate as last year or cancel. they immediately gave me the discount rate, It was about $101. I used to just call and go through the customer service and then finally get transferred to the cancellation dept, but now it is easier. give it to me or else.

NJRonbo
04-12-14, 11:06 AM
Ponyman,

What does the $101 cover? Is that just radio service?

Rays B4U
04-12-14, 03:22 PM
We very rarely listen to XM anymore. Wife has all of her music on a USB thumb-drive. Her XM subscription is coming up for renewal and she's not renewing it, curious to see how many "If you renew today and today only" deals will be offered.

MI-SRX
04-12-14, 06:01 PM
...curious to see how many "If you renew today and today only" deals will be offered.

A lot! I still get those types of offers for a Subaru I got rid of about 4 years ago. :cookoo:

adamjeeps
04-13-14, 12:57 AM
Me and my wife use Spotify. $10 per month. Better sound quality. Can listen to your choice of any type of radio or whatever songs you choose. No ads.

We each have an account but you could both use the same account if you wanted to only spend $10/month.

Can use data or download songs to your playlist on your mobile device. Plus you take your music with you, not tied to one car radio.
Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App (http://www.autoguide.com/mobile)

Ponyman
04-13-14, 11:04 AM
The $101 was for the radio service and royalty fees. Still had a couple of weeks left till expiration, and they gave me credit for that so the actual price for a year might be a few dollars more.

blacksrx4
04-26-14, 12:04 PM
Can you tell me the range of the 1/2 price in US dollars?
Thanks

I suppose it depends how hard you want to bargain and go round-and-round on the phone. I just got a year of XM Select + TravelLink + NavTraffic for 1/2 price without spending more than 10 mins on it. That was good enough for me.

georule
04-26-14, 11:09 PM
Can you tell me the range of the 1/2 price in US dollars?
Thanks

$133 for one year of XM Select (including US Music Royalty Fee) + Nav Traffic + Travel Link.

etexlady
04-28-14, 06:50 PM
The trial subscription in my 2014 SRX ends May 1. I called today and asked for XM Select and Nav Weather. The lady I spoke with said she did not think Nav Weather was available in my specific vehicle. I told her I currently had weather reports, alerts, etc. in the car so it must support weather. She argued for a while longer and then said after we completed my enrollment she would transfer me to some other department and they could confirm if the car could support weather. She would not budge off of full price for XM Select. Told her that I was not interested at the price quoted. She then tried to get me to drop down to some plan for $9.99 a month that was all talk, news and sports. Told her I wasn't interested and I would just let the subscription lapse. She made no further offers so I ended the call. I expect I'll get some better offers in the next few weeks. I also use Spotify so I won't miss much on XM except for the news channels.

Noncon
04-28-14, 09:51 PM
Make sure you ask for the Retention department, they are the only ones who can give any meaningful discounts.

jrose7004
04-28-14, 10:25 PM
I always ask to speak to someone in the United States.

300:29:1
04-29-14, 12:52 AM
The trial subscription in my 2014 SRX ends May 1. I called today and asked for XM Select and Nav Weather. The lady I spoke with said she did not think Nav Weather was available in my specific vehicle. I told her I currently had weather reports, alerts, etc. in the car so it must support weather. She argued for a while longer and then said after we completed my enrollment she would transfer me to some other department and they could confirm if the car could support weather. She would not budge off of full price for XM Select. Told her that I was not interested at the price quoted. She then tried to get me to drop down to some plan for $9.99 a month that was all talk, news and sports. Told her I wasn't interested and I would just let the subscription lapse. She made no further offers so I ended the call. I expect I'll get some better offers in the next few weeks. I also use Spotify so I won't miss much on XM except for the news channels.

They'll probably send you a mailing with a steep discount like 6 months for $25 or something. The only problem is that if you wait for that, you may be without in the interim. You could probably call again and, after telling them that you want to cancel your service, get a better rate. I call to cancel and they ask why. My reply is that the cost is too high. They immediately come back with a lower rate, generally 1/2 off, and I'm fine with that. Some subscribers claim to beat them up to get a lower rate. I'm satisfied with around $100 a year or so, even though I could probably do better. They deserve to make something for the service. Some want a free ride, and that just drives up the cost.

georule
04-29-14, 02:23 AM

"Travel Link" is the weather (and more) thingie for the SRX. Use that label and they'll know what you're talking about. $11.94 for one year after the "1/2 off" deal. "Nav Traffic" was $23.94/year (after 1/2 off).

My experience with companies that play the "call to get a deal" games (DirecTV is famous for it) is playing "retention rep roulette" is worth your time, if you're willing to spend a little time at it (sometimes I am, sometimes not so much). By which I mean. . . just call again.

NJRonbo
04-29-14, 02:41 AM
You will get a 6 month for $25 offer shortly.

There will be no mention of royalty fees. They will try to tack on an additional $5 in royalty fees.

Be certain to say NO ROYALTY FEES and be certain the only the amount they charge your card is $25 as they tried to sneak it on despite the fact and I had to call back, threaten to cancel, and get credited the extra $5.

MI-SRX
04-29-14, 09:20 AM
My experience has been the 6 month/$25 deal is only available after you cancel your subscription (or the trial runs out) and you go without for a few days/weeks. (I'm still getting emails with that offer for an '11 Subaru I got rid of long ago.)

The best I've been able to do (for about 4 years now) is $5/mo for 5 months.

To get that the first time I had to call and cancel. They then offer 12 months at 1/2 price which I refuse (claiming I'm retired and only use the car a couple days a week and it's just not worth it to me - not exactly a lie). I get put on hold for a couple minutes and they come back with the 5 for $5 offer. The last couple times I just call the day before the subscription expires and say I want to renew at the 5/$5 or I'm gone and that's all it takes.

A lot will depend on the CSR you get as to how easy the process goes. When I got my SRX I called to cancel the service on my previous vehicle (I was about 1 month into the current subscription) and the rep offered to extend it back out to the 5 months and piggy-back it on the SRX trial, for a total of 8 months. Unfortunately I forget to get her name and extension for next time... :annoyed:

I don't know how the Travel Link/Traffic plans will fit into this process as they weren't available on my previous XM vehicles. Maybe I'll call before the trial on those expire and see what can be worked out. I'd think that selling them for 1/2 price, or better, for 5 months is better than not selling them at all since they're providing the service anyhow. If they don't deal on those it's not a big thing for me. It's a neat 'hey, wow!' feature but not something I use a lot.

stevec5375
04-29-14, 06:20 PM
If you have one of the later model SRXs with CUE (and thus, Pandora), why would you want Sirius? (And please don't tell me talk radio.)

blacksrx4
04-30-14, 12:24 AM
I'm still on trial with my Sirius XM and I'm assuming that the Nav Traffic in Sirius XM is the one handling the re-route direction when using the CUE navigation. I really like this feature since it also tells you how much time will you save if you choose the re-route direction. Very helpful when going around the San Francisco and other parts of the Bay area.

westham
05-01-14, 10:55 AM
Just let it expire and you will get letters and calls offering you plenty of good discounts, all the way up to one year after your subscription expired.

adamjeeps
05-01-14, 04:50 PM
Here is a link to possibly get 2 month trial:

https://care.siriusxm.com/preownedvehiclestrial_view.action

westham
05-20-14, 11:21 AM
I just received a letter from Sirius Friday saying that my satellite radio would be re connected available May 20th for 10 days (all channels not just the limited ones I had previously subscribed to over 18 months ago) and after that it would be $20 for the first 5 months, I will listen in for the first 10 days. This was for my 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee I purchased new in March 2011 with free Sirius for one year, I then subscribed at the very lowest level $9.99 per month for 1 more year before cancelling, I have not tried the Sirius in my 2010 SRX yet to see if the Sirius signal has been unblocked but it may also be included? I will give it a try this evening when I get home.

Huey Driver
05-20-14, 07:26 PM
XM has re-activated all radios until Jun 2, according to a TV commercial I just saw...
http://www.siriusxm.com/fl?gId=listen5

westham
05-21-14, 11:03 AM
Yes, confirmed it's back on for free to everyone until June 2nd! :cool2: