: Headlight Cluster Removal

Cairnburn1
06-14-11, 10:44 AM
Hi,
Is there a special technique needed for removing the headlight cluster? I have a Position Light bulb failure warning message and want to replace the bulb and check the earthing but I'm having great difficulty removing the cluster.
I've removed the top screw and loosened the bottom screw but can't get any further. Is there a hidden screw somewhere? Help, anyone?

Regards

Wildeoscar

S70RMP
06-15-11, 01:22 PM
I gave up and got the garage to do it, there is as a way to do it but asfter 2 hours I gave up
the handbook doesnt help

Mazuk
06-15-11, 04:03 PM
A 2006 handbook states;
1.Remove the upper screw.
2.Slacken the lower screw but do not remove it.

3.Slightly raise the eye where the upper screw sat while pressing down the tongue with a screwdriver.Carefully pull the entire lamp fitting straight forward.
4.Unplug the connector.

To reinstall.

1.Plug in the connector.

2..Guide the hole in the lamp fitting over the guide pin in the fitting retainer and the tongue into the recess in the lamp fitting.Then slide the lamp fitting straight back until the tongue and the upper bracket engage.

3.Refit the upper screw and tighten the lower one.

t4evs
06-15-11, 06:10 PM
Dont be afraid to use a bit of force to slide the cluster out. It is not easy but it does come out in the end.

Cairnburn1
06-17-11, 03:35 PM
Thanks Mazuk
That's what the handbook says but in No 2, "Slightly raise the eye where the upper screw sat while pressing down the tongue with a screwdriver." I don't know what is meant by the 'tongue' where is it?

Regards,

Wildeoscar

Cairnburn1
06-17-11, 03:36 PM
Oops, I think I should have said in 'No 3'

Mazuk
06-18-11, 04:20 PM
Dees this help?

http://i389.photobucket.com/albums/oo337/EDLOCK/005-13.jpg

Cairnburn1
07-08-11, 02:30 PM
Hi all,
Another problem
My BLS has failed it's Control Technique test. (The French equivalent of the UK MOT) . The Headlights must be changed to European Left Hand drive versions. Any idea where I can purchase a pair?

Any advice would be most welcome. Thanks

G

S70RMP
07-09-11, 04:42 AM
there's a way of adjusting the lights, I think it's on page 92 of the hand book
you have to turn a screw 3 times and it converts it.

BlackBox
08-12-11, 09:10 AM
Hi,

I was yesterday at the garage due to a issue with my window on the l/h side (it drove down when I wanted to close my window).

I wanted to change my bulbs due to the fact that their have not been so bright as I liked.
Due to the postings here I decided that my dealer shall do it and I watched how to do it in the future.

Well, it wasn't easy even for them!
The mechanics told a that he did a couple of changes by mine where really heavy to get out.

The showed me one trick:

If you open the hood you'll see next to the cluster two black knobs and a screw. You can note one of the plastic knobs in the left picture above.
You'll have to work very carefully otherwise you need to replace the plastic knobs and it might be a hassle to get those!
Just use a small screwdriver and push gently and slowly the middle of this plastic thing so that you are able to pull them out.
Don't push the middle full out of this knob. If you do this you can by a new one!
After you pulled the knob out and you worked correct you can push the middle back and you can use it again.
The loose the screw next in line to the knobs (not only loose, screw it out)

You'll see that the plastic cover is now very loose and you can work easier with the headlight cluster.

This little trick might be getting things easier!

The next thing what might be important:
Due to the screw you can see in the left picture above as nr. 1 it might be possible that the cluster is like glued to the plastic of the frame where it sits in.
You can help yourself if you'll use a screwdriver and loose it.
As you can imagine the plastic may be is hardened due to the head from the engine... so careful it may be break.....

Hope this will help you a little bit

Regards

Thorsten

Cadyman1
01-12-13, 12:32 PM
Can anyone recommend a good video on removing the headlight cluster. I tried to remove the right / passenger side headlight on a 2008 BLS and had no luck?

The 2008 handbook states the following (but not sure what the eye or tongue are in step 3);
1.Remove the upper screw.
2.Slacken the lower screw but do not remove it. [ I even tried removing it all the way]
3.Slightly raise the eye where the upper screw sat while pressing down the tongue with a screwdriver.Carefully pull the entire lamp fitting straight forward.
4.Unplug the connector.