: Would you buy your first car again?

I~LUV~Caddys8792
06-14-11, 01:15 AM
Rick's recent thread has got me thinking, would you buy a car just like your first one again?

As far as me, no.

I had a lot of good times and made a lot of good memories in my '95 Buick Roadmaster Limited sedan for the eight months I had it, but those are all in the past now, and I have no desire to "recreate" them. I looked at buying a real nice, low mile '95 RML in 2009, to replace the Mercedes with, but I drove it and came away with lukewarm feelings. I didn't like how anachronistic and overly old school it was for a daily driver, and it's not old enough IMO to be a collector yet. However, I'd definitely buy a Fleetwood/Fleetwood Brougham though, because among other reasons it's the last of a long and storied tradition among Cadillac and is better looking IMO than the Roadmaster or other B Bodies.

At the time, the reason I bought the Roadmaster was because my parents wouldn't let me have a Cadillac, so I got the next best thing, plus I loved the fact it was RWD and LT1 powered...and believe me I took good advantage of that, but I ended up selling it 8 months later because it was simply too large for an amateur driver (says the guy who now drives an E-250 1,000 miles a week), I hated the red interior and it had a few issues that I didn't wanna deal with. I sold it to a 74 year old pastor and bought a '92 Sedan deVille, a car that even though it's FWD and unibody, I far preferred in most every way, aside from the Roadmaster's sheer acceleration/power and awesome presence.

The Cadillac was a great car, and I had that one for almost three years, but would I buy one again? Maybe, but they're getting old now and are hard to find in a good condition. They'll always be a great deal for a bargain basement luxury car, and I'd definitely recommend it to a friend.

The only car I've owned that I'd gladly buy again is the S-Class. I thoroughly enjoyed owning it every day, even up until the bitter end and was very sad to see that in the Regal's rearview mirror as I drove off the lot. But in all reality, that's only if I get rich and can afford the time and money to have it in the shop for the various complicated issue that plague those older Benzes. I'd go for an S500 or S600 though.

Whenever I see a car that resembles any of the ones I own, I check them over for any of the dings, dents or scratches that I remembered mine had, or I'll check the license plates...

Stingroo
06-14-11, 01:17 AM
Another Fleetwood? Hells yes!

Another wagon? Well... do I really need to answer that? :lol:

orconn
06-14-11, 01:25 AM
If I could afford or find a red 1958 Jaguar XK 150 drophead as nice as the one I had I'd buy it in a minute! Unfortunately really nice ones are now over $100,000.

johnny kannapo
06-14-11, 01:26 AM
Who wouldn't want a 65' 225. If it was financially reasonable to do so, without thinking about it. I can only think about it at this time.

johnny kannapo
06-14-11, 01:32 AM
dbl post

Aron9000
06-14-11, 02:26 AM
My first car was a 1991 Buick Regal sedan, first year for the Regal sedan on the FWD w-body platform. Mine was my mom's old car, maroon on maroon velour, 3.8 v6, bench seat, power windows, locks, alloy wheels, not a ton of options. It was a pretty car, and a definite step up from a Chevy Lumina, the interior was pretty well made and the velour seats were awesome. But it was just a boring commuter car and life is too short to own the same boring car twice.

As for other cars, I really would love another older Cadillac, even another 90-92 Brougham if the right one came along. Although I think if I'm going to buy another old Cadillac, I need a 70's Coupe Deville.

hueterm
06-14-11, 02:53 AM
I still have mine...at least the first one I drove. As far as the first one I owned, a 1992 Toronado: if I had unlimited garage space, and found one that wasn't beat up and low miles -- sure, why not. But it would be a total toy -- nothing I'd drive regularly...

gdwriter
06-14-11, 03:32 AM
Well, duh. Just look below:

Jesda
06-14-11, 04:22 AM
HELL NO.

1988 Nissan Sentra. I hated it.

I appreciated the price (free from parents) and the fact that it was better than walking, but thats IT.

Playdrv4me
06-14-11, 04:43 AM
No, my 1996 Continental did all the same things for me as my first car that the CDV did for Rick, and while I'd like to have another one, it certainly needn't be black. I'd be happy just to have one around at all.

The only car that I'd remotely be tempted to obtain in the same color as the one I previously had was my 2001 BMW 330i that was some kind of electric red color (I don't remember the specific name) that almost looked orange in bright sunlight.

Stiggy
06-14-11, 04:49 AM
Short answer...yes.

Long answer...hell yes. ;)

My first car was a 1975 Oldsmobile Cutlass S Colonnade coupe...it was a hand-me-down / high-school graduation present from my brother in 1986. I would love to have another.

DouglasJRizzo
06-14-11, 09:55 AM
My very first car was a 1963 Eldorado Biarritz convertible. Would I buy another? Absolutely, but next time I wouldn't let anyone else try to restore it.

slk230mb
06-14-11, 10:28 AM
My first car was a 2000 Deville and if the lease didn't end, I'd definitely still have it.

As for the first one I owned, the 2002 Escalade, would definitely do it again. After this past winter I regretted selling it, and the thought crossed my mind to go buy it back from the person who bought it at the auction I sold it in.

Submariner409
06-14-11, 11:42 AM
A rompin', stompin' 53 HP Morris Minor, vintage 1952 ??????? Nope - not even the '53 MG TD that followed it - now, the '57 Jag XK-140MC - YES.

Stoneage_Caddy
06-14-11, 11:44 AM
HELL NO.

1988 Nissan Sentra. I hated it.

I appreciated the price (free from parents) and the fact that it was better than walking, but thats IT.

hey now , i loved my old 87 sentra ....then again i had ripped so much metal off it that it weighed nothing lol fun car

cadillac kevin
06-14-11, 01:16 PM
I still own mine, but given the chance would I buy it again?
hell yeah.
sure the power sucked (a prius accelerates faster) and mileage was meh but the cool factor of a fwb just overwhelms all the issues. I paid a bit much at $1500 given it needed about 2500 in repairs to make it run and drive flawless, but if it hadnt been hit (and the trans hadnt been going out) I would have more than made up for that large repair bill in sheer fun. some people think large cars are hard to drive, but for me it was a whole lot easier to drive (and park) than my dads fwd cutlass wagon. (btw did I mention I'm legally blind and drove a 20 ft land yacht?...lol)

louiefl99
06-14-11, 01:27 PM
After working for my family all summer for no pay, my parents bought me a nice used 2-door Pontiac for my 16th birthday. 1970 GTO with 455 cu in HO engine and a 4-speed manual transmission. 360 HP and 500 lb-ft torque. Yep, I miss that car. On the show Overhauling, Lance Armstrong had his 1970 GTO "stolen" by his girlfriend Sheryl Crow and restored in a week. Wish I had that one too.

ryannel2003
06-14-11, 01:52 PM
My first car was a 2000 Toyota Camry... the epitome of the boring appliance. So no, I don't think I would buy it back. But I wouldn't have to regardless since the car is still sitting as a spare at my house.

C&C
06-14-11, 03:14 PM
Mine was a 1966 Pontiac Tempest (326 cubes), three on the tree; looked great, drove very good, and I really liked that car, so my answer is, heck yeah.

ThumperPup
06-14-11, 09:08 PM
My 95 Continental for sure 150% positively would did more for me than some friends did lol

billc83
06-14-11, 10:23 PM
1985 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz?

Probably not. I'd have to get it for a screaming deal, or maybe if I could find a convertible version fairly priced. Not that I didn't like the car...

Ranger
06-14-11, 10:31 PM
'61 Ford convertible (pre Army) -YES
'69 Road Runner (after Army) - definitely YES (and looking).

ted tcb
06-14-11, 10:37 PM
Nope, couldn't do it again.
My first car was a rusted out 1972 Mercury Capri, 2.6L V6, 4spd, dual exhaust, built in Germany.
Just like this one, but in brown, with a tan vinyl interior.

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n243/tedtcb/DSC_0469_resize.jpg

Unfortunately, it burned and leaked all fluids, seats wouldn't stay up, dashboard buttons burned
your fingers, and it was full of cancer/rot.

I bought the car in 1978, but back then, a 6 yr old import was pretty much done after a few Canadian
winters. Still, fun first car, at least on paper. Cost me $800, and sold it after 1 summer for $500.
Should never have passed safety.

Destroyer
06-14-11, 11:37 PM
I got my first car when I was 15 in 1986 and I'll be 40 in the next couple of months. I worked hard as busboy at a Greek seafood restaurant when I was 15 and saved up enough cash to buy a hot rodded '78 Monte Carlo with a very modded '70 LT1 Chevy small block. The car was 8 years old at the time but when I lived in NY, 8 years old was an OLD car. Anyway I had tons of fun racing it against Cuda's, Chevelle's.........you name it. I certainly would buy a hot rodded one again. More recently I rodded my '67 Cutlass vert and a whole slew of other cars over the years so I certainly have not changed much in that regard. To me, the sound of a worked carb'd American V8 is one of the sweetest sounds around. I'll be this way till I die. I did however find a love for european cars over the years. BMW, Jaguar, Mercedes and Porsche specifically although BMW falls on the tail end of that affinity. I still feel the same way and my goal is to own a prime example of a 928s Porsche again. I NEVER warmed up to Japanese cars. There were certainly models I admire and have admired from afar but I never liked them for some odd reason. They are kind of like minivans to me. Sure a minivan is the perfect family hauler but I've found myself buying either full size vans/conversion vans or luxury cars instead just cause I think minivans are gay. The new cars today are probably better in every way than their older counterparts but I still like the older models more. It is what it is.

77CDV
06-15-11, 03:17 AM
Would I buy my first car again? In a cold minute! :)

GizmoQ
06-15-11, 11:17 AM
My first car was a V-12 1976 Jaguar XJS.
Would I buy it again - hell yes!

That thing was a great road tripping car and with the tech now, that motor could be turned into a monster.