: HTt4100 Oil Pan Drain Plug Nut Loose

DeVillain
06-13-11, 11:40 PM
Last fall I went to change the oil in my 84 RWD DeVille and was demoralized when the drain plug wouldn't go back into the pan as it should have. It didn't feel like the threads were stripped, but rather that they just weren't there anymore.

Due to the cold temperatures here in Wisconsin, I let the car sit and just got around to pulling the pan this weekend. What I found was that the nut on the inside of the pan that the drain plug should thread into, was no longer fastened to the pan.

What's the simplest way to go about fixing this? I don't expect to be able to find a replacement oil pan easily. Would a good two part epoxy be sufficient? I can't really tell how the factory had this nut attached in the first place. It almost looks like a tack weld. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

csbuckn
06-14-11, 01:29 AM
I think your gonna want to tack weld it back on.

sven914
06-14-11, 01:37 AM
If you don't have a welder, I would take it to a high school or a career center that has an auto-shop program. They usually have pretty decent welding programs and would only charge you the cost of supplies; an actual body/welders shop would probably charge 2 hours labor. For something small like that, the work would be just as good.