: 67 drum brakes

corrupt
06-14-11, 12:27 AM
I have a 67 DeVille that I'm trying to replace the drums on (beyond being able to turn) and so I ordered them from autozone. However, the drums from autozone do not have the wheel studs attached directly to the drum like they do from the factory. They simply have holes for the wheel studs to go through (like on most drum brakes). Except if I try and order hubs for my car so the wheel studs have somewhere to attach to, no one has them or they say they don't come from the factory with hubs (since the studs are attached right to the outside of the drum).

So what are my options? I don't have money for a disc conversion. It doesn't make sense that the same places that sell these drums with the holes for the studs to go through can't or don't sell the hubs that my car didn't come with in the first place. Is there something I'm missing?

I was thinking about checking the rear drums to see if they're the same size and if they're in better condition then the front or maybe going to pick n pulls or something but along with money, I don't have a lot of time to be driving and hunting this stuff down. Any ideas or better sources for these parts?

Cheers!

drmenard
06-14-11, 12:47 AM
Its been a while since I played with front brake drums... But if the wheel studs are fixed to the drums they should be able to be knocked out and put in the new drums... I would put the drum on the ground , Screw the lug nut on the stud a few turns then hit down on it with a hammer... It should pop out and be able to be put in the new drum with a bang from your hammer..

corrupt
06-14-11, 03:02 AM
I will have to get photos... but the drums I received from Autozone have a thinner wall where the studs go through. To me it appears to be made so that the studs just go through it and don't get attached to the drum, but instead get attached to a hub. My 67 didn't come with hubs. The drum that came with the car has a much thicker wall where the studs are attached, and they appear to be welded in. Perhaps I'm just overthinking it and the studs should attach fine to the drum, but it is really thin compared to my stock drums.

jayoldschool
06-14-11, 10:16 AM
Go to a different parts place and order another drum to compare.

cadillac_al
06-14-11, 08:11 PM
It sounds like the gave you the rear drums. You'll have to return them and have the kid look them up again or find another place to buy parts.