: Gotta love GM customer support

kstoff
06-13-11, 12:47 PM
I purchased a used 2009 V from a dealer in Virginia and I live in Cleveland. The car has 19k on it and is in perfect condition. The only isse was the suede on the steering wheel/shift knob needed replaced. I believe a woman must have driven the car and the lotion on her hands ruined the suede. I attempted to have the dealer cover this under warranty but they said it was as wear item. The customer service response I got was poor, most likely because I didn’t buy the car from them. I ended up purchasing the steering wheel/shift knob and went to Morris Cadillac outside of Cleveland to have it installed. They treated me like I didn’t matter, again because I didn’t buy the car from them, even though I purchased a new V from them a few years back. Service manager told me the cost to replace the steering wheel was $64.00. I also asked about replacing the shift knob for free since it must be a 2 min job. He came back and said it would cost $125.00. That is not a typo, $125 to replace the shift knob. I told him I would do it myself. They replaced the steering wheel in 12 min. When I questioned the $64.00 he said to me and I quote, “We make out on some jobs and lose on others”. My jaw dropped when he said this. To make things even better, when I got home I used my cell phone to google replacing the shift knob and the directions stated, “put car in reverse, push forward and pull up”. I had the shift knob replaced in less than 2 min. Sad to say GM’s products may have improved, however their dealers and customer service is still subpar.

neuronbob
06-13-11, 12:56 PM
Some of this is dealer-dependent. However....worn alacantra is a wear issue.

Even so, PM me for my servicing dealer in Cleveland. I have never been treated as you describe by the dealer I use. Ever. Even for warranty issues.

Florian
06-13-11, 02:12 PM
Central Caddy, ask for Mark....a great guy and a personal friend.
PM me if needed.

F

amunderdog
06-13-11, 02:39 PM
It is hard to understand this corporate world.
Use to be it was local dealer up.
They understood the local dealer could build brand loyalty which meant happy return customers both in the garage and the showroom.
Now it is Corporation down.

Whats the old salesman's rule?
Make a customer happy and he may not tell many but be loyal.
Make a customer unhappy and he will tell everyone he meets.

js615
06-13-11, 04:42 PM
...plus on the internet, you rarely hear good stories, you mostly hear the horror stories. The reality is there are far more very satisfied customers than there are unsatisfied customers - warranty claims have actuary tables just like insurance claims - it's all about the numbers/profitability. Sadly, some of us V owners will eventually land on the wrong side of those numbers.

Forums like this are great places to share frustration and vent - and it helps all of us - so long as the share is done with positive intent. Read: if the rant (not this one, but some others I have read) is to slander, harass or generally be a jerk about your unhappiness, there is little hope we as a community can help you. But - like this discussion about the suede steering wheel - the story has educational value for others that may find themselves in the same position. It's meaningful and relevant - exactly what the forum should be.

The moral - you can't win every game, but you can still come out a champion.

Razorecko
06-13-11, 04:49 PM
you guys can clean the steering wheel and shift knob with dawn liquid soap and a microfiber towel. The stuff is synthetic sued and i've cleaned mine like 2x already in 30k and it looks brand new. That suede stuff is not coming off at all.

js615
06-13-11, 05:09 PM
you guys can clean the steering wheel and shift knob with dawn liquid soap and a microfiber towel. The stuff is synthetic sued and i've cleaned mine like 2x already in 30k and it looks brand new. That suede stuff is not coming off at all.

Interesting - Any tips or hints (damp cloth or full on wet)? Air dry vs pat dry? Do you rub the suede to lift the fibers? How much soap are you using? Got any pics of your steering wheel?

J.

Tuna
06-14-11, 09:29 AM
My local Caddy dealer has been very good - Bob Moore Cadillac in Norman, OK

I've wiped down my wheel with a damp microfiber cloth a few times just to get my dirty finger prints off and it works just fine.

kstoff
06-15-11, 10:21 PM

I've got a steering wheel and shift knob, both in perfect working condition with the suede slightly worn or possible just really dirty. If someone wants to make it worth my while to package up and ship just PM me. I'll even provide instructions on how to replace the shift knob:), save you a $125.00.