: AWD question...

h2kool4tn
06-13-11, 11:14 AM
While I was at the dealer yesterday asking about how the SRX AWD works, he mentions that it is actually only FWD and the rear wheels only kicks in when needed, not all the time. Then he looks at my Escalade AWD and said the same. Is this true that the AWD Escalade is only a RWD vehicle until needed and the front wheels kick in later? I kinda felt deprived when hearing that.

Cadillac Cust Svc
06-13-11, 02:00 PM
h2kool4tn,

All wheel drive is a type of four wheel drive system that continuously modulates torque distributions, allowing all four wheels to be powered at all times. If your vehicle was a four wheel drive vehicle then it would run in 2WD which would be RWD until you put it into four wheel drive.

Thank you

Elizabeth, Cadillac Customer Service

h2kool4tn
06-13-11, 10:54 PM
The 2011 AWD Escalade has no manual option to put it into 4 wheel drive... so how is it activated? Or is it always activated?

XJGMT936F53
06-13-11, 11:01 PM
AWD requires no action by the operator, it is always working. Usually there is a F/R split (30/70, 40/60, etc.) that it operates in under normal conditions. As wheels slip, the system will shift power to the wheels with traction, either front to back, or side to side.

PreachRR
06-14-11, 09:46 AM
Don't feel deprived I was in 2 snow storms with my 07 Escalade and we are talking like 2 feet of snow in Oklahoma this year and even with 22s my truck got out of some pretty tight places and many 4 wheel drive vehicles were stuck.. It works and keeps the gas mileage better if it were always active!

Cadillac Cust Svc
06-14-11, 10:34 AM
h2kool4tn,

It would always be activated.

Thank you

Elizabeth, Cadillac Customer Service

StevieT
06-14-11, 10:35 AM
keeps the gas mileage better if it were always active!

Sending power to all 4 wheels at once does not give better gas mileage.

evois
06-14-11, 11:55 AM
While I was at the dealer yesterday asking about how the SRX AWD works, he mentions that it is actually only FWD and the rear wheels only kicks in when needed, not all the time. Then he looks at my Escalade AWD and said the same. Is this true that the AWD Escalade is only a RWD vehicle until needed and the front wheels kick in later? I kinda felt deprived when hearing that.

this applies to the escalade hybrid with selectable 4wd system. the 4auto is rwd unless you have slipping of the front wheels turning it to 4wd. the selectable 4wd can be locked to 4hi(like an awd non-hybrid escalade). the nonhybrid awd escalade is fulltime all wheel drive. it is not rwd "only" then 4wd when slipping. it is continuously 4wd. don't be deprived:)

h2kool4tn
06-14-11, 04:29 PM
That shows you how much the salesman knows about his own cars..... maybe they should take a comprehensive class for each model on the lot before speaking.... who knows, someone may not buy a car because of the "occasional AWD" misguided info. Now I feel more confident driving in the rain, maybe even some muddy snowy roads.