: Lucky Earthquake escape !!

Tallguy222
06-13-11, 04:42 AM
Our 66 is across town getting its windscreen replaced and BANG !! yet another 5.5 magnitude earthquake hits poor old Christchurch ( where we live in New Zealand ). I had taken the day off work to driver her there then back later, so was at home across town on the computer when it hit - crash bang smash all around me as the pc screen ended in my lap and cabinets all around me broke glass and crashed over.
Where the Caddy should have been in the garage a big shelf with various fasteners fell.
It would have hit the bonnet bang on.:bonkers:
The power was out and as I was cleaning up the mess a 6.0 hit !
No power for a bit - still no water or sewer - no traffic lights - gridlock -everyone one in the city racing off to pick up kids and check on family.
Phones cutting in and out, but I tried my luck - the windscreen guys are working away and would I like to pick the car up at 4.30pm ? Amazing !
I asked him to look out his window - what is the traffic like ? "Damn" he says - it's bedlham !
I will buy those guys a beer for sure.76473
So tomorrow I get to drive our new baby across our even more damaged roads - it will be a test of the famous Cadillac suspension for sure :)

Xtreme70SS
06-13-11, 09:16 AM
Wow, glad you guys are OK! I bet you'll be bolting that shelf to the wall when you put it back up!

outsider
06-13-11, 09:57 AM
wow! Very lucky indeed! What are the odds that would happen when the caddy isn't in it's home. haha :D

glad everything worked out ok.

amunderdog
06-13-11, 11:14 AM
Good to read you and your collection survived without damage.
Next thing on the chore list.
Fix/secure vehicle storage area :)

Cadillacboy
06-13-11, 12:41 PM
I am happy for you , thank God nobody was hurt , I am pretty sure your Caddy will get along well with the road

CADforce69
06-13-11, 04:00 PM
IŽm glad that you are ok after earthquake and that your caddy is ok too. After this, youŽll have to call it lucky boy / girl :lol:

Tallguy222
06-14-11, 06:13 PM
Thanks Guys - I threw that shelf away - took stuff off top two layers of others and strapped them to the garage wall.
I've been collecting diecast models of Corvettes for 25 years ( we have a 69 ) - just became Caddy owners recently- and my collection is now toast ! *sigh*
That cabinet was the only thing in the house earthquake proofed - I have it bolted to the wall up high - it just shook apart.
The business recovering our Caddy dashboard had mud bubble up inside the building - so I'm off to see if they are open - my factory has a red sticker on it now meaning too dangerous to go into - thats going to be tough - don't they know I have a milliopn Cadillac parts to buy now ?
:)

csbuckn
06-14-11, 07:12 PM
I guess its better those than the one in the garage. Good luck in recovery.

CADforce69
06-14-11, 07:45 PM
I think youŽll be able to fix them with loctite glue (though it will never be the same). It saved several times many of my scale model collection (lots of little plastic parts glued and painted) when I was a boy. When my mum was cleaning was worse than an earthquake. :p

Hope that your factory is fixed soon!