: Which Brake Pads are best (with less dust) &&& Problems with fade at high speed

Adic2Speed
06-12-11, 11:33 PM
The other night I was driving a little fun. I got to about 162-163. I let off and slowed by drag only at first, then when approaching a bend in the road hit the brakes. I was doing about 140-145 when I hit the brakes. They sounded like brakes sound when they are heated and fading. That was the first time I hit the brakes from that night aside from regular driving. I just had the rims off a few days prior when I was cleaning them, I know there is plenty of pad left on all four wheels. Is it just the way the car is or should I get different pads. I bought the car used. I don't know if they are stock pads or not but they create dust like a desert wind storm.

I have a video on YouTube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-SVhwXmrwU
(sorry about the crappy video, it was my cell phone, you have to turn the volume up to here the breaks about 19 seconds in)

I'm open to any thoughts or suggestions.

Oh, once I was about 120 or so, the breaks felt fine and made no unusual noise.

pmsteinm
06-13-11, 11:45 AM
At VIR when I hit the brakes at 145 they felt great. The difference is they were bedded in & had some heat in them (rotors had the nice blue coating). I notice the Brembos don't feel as good if you've been driving normal for a while since the pad material wears off the rotors.

I would like the stock brakes to feel more grabby, but when driven hard they work very well and feel excellent. I guess GM/Brembo decided to optimize for the track vs. street driving. This is pretty amazing that GM would do that.

Adic2Speed
06-14-11, 11:36 AM
The brakes feel fine except for that one time. I was planning on changing the pads to try to resolve the dust issues, but I don't want to sacrafice performance. Most of my driving is back and forth to work, but at a little faster pace than most. Usually nothing rediculous. Any suggestions on pads?

Adic2Speed
06-14-11, 11:40 AM
were you filming yourself while driving 160 mph with brake pads that you don't know how well they stop?

They stop fine, they always have, that was the first time I noticed anything unusual.

Adic2Speed
06-15-11, 12:56 AM
Ok, I have had the car a speeds high speeds at locationes where if I didnt have breaks on the car at all I could have drifted to a stop without downshifting. The car has been fine. I have put over 3000 miles on the car. As I said before, they didnt make that noise at any other speed, and thats the first time I noticed it. If it made that noise at 60 mph, I wouldnt take it higher untill I resolved the issue. Now that I heard it, I wonder what it was and I'm trying to figure it out. That way I know I will be ok if I get to those speeds again.

Adic2Speed
06-15-11, 12:58 AM
Oh and stock or not, they have stopped quick and hard for me every time I asked them to. I wasnt braking hard on this occasion.