: 190 MPH Windshield Wipers

Lord Cadillac
06-12-11, 10:10 PM
I just saw a commercial about the Cadillac CTS-V having windshield wipers that won't blow off at 190 miles per hour.

It was interesting.

T4W0eobLLpk

ga_etc
06-12-11, 11:04 PM
You have that kind of advertising department, and then Ankerson running around opening his mouth. A little contradictory.

Ludacrisvp
06-12-11, 11:20 PM
I've always enjoyed that ad.

Sent from my unlocked jailbroken iPhone 4 iOS 4.2.1

Stingroo
06-12-11, 11:22 PM
I find that ad to be stupid, honestly. So does the lowly Z06 not have functioning windshield wipers above 190mph? Or the $1.5 million dollar Veyron? Cadillac is that special? Really?

I think not. It's a stupid point to focus on IMO.

Ludacrisvp
06-12-11, 11:30 PM
I just though it was a creative way to bring up the overall speed of the car. Basically saying they won't make any compromises

ThumperPup
06-12-11, 11:44 PM
i have not seen it yet

the last add i saw was on the side of a building hudge wall on outside of building plastered with a ad for the CTS/V coupe when i was driving into DC a few weeks ago

but ill wait to see this add sounds like another stupid add from GM

cadillac kevin
06-13-11, 12:02 AM
I thought it was a humourous and inventive way to advertise that the car goes 190mph.

dkozloski
06-13-11, 12:15 AM
How stupid is it to drive 190MPH on a wet road? They won't do that in F1.

Stingroo
06-13-11, 12:17 AM
Ayrton Senna would.

neuronbob
06-13-11, 12:28 AM
I just though it was a creative way to bring up the overall speed of the car. Basically saying they won't make any compromises

Exactly what I thought when I saw the ad.....during the winter. Here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4W0eobLLpk

ThumperPup
06-13-11, 12:52 AM
ok after watching that i think i lost half a brain cell lol

MacMuse
06-13-11, 11:30 AM
I also just saw that ad last night for the first time. I even rewound it to make sure I heard them "190 miles per hour".

I fully expect every nanny-state organization to attack Cadillac for making such a claim about "real-world" but suicidal driving practices. Sure, go ahead and make the point that the wipers stick at any posted legal speed in the country. Better yet, show a competitor that can't. Heck, even go to the point of saying designed for 190 or tested in a wind tunnel at 190 -- but talking over the picture of a car in the rain on regular road -- stupid.

C&C
06-13-11, 12:45 PM
It was just a bit of hyperbole; not intended to advertise the wipers but to highlight that Cadillac was paying attention to the details. It wasn't ment to be taken literally.

mhamilton
06-13-11, 05:14 PM
How stupid is it to drive 190MPH on a wet road? They won't do that in F1.

I thought the exact same thing. Some other car company had a similar ad a while back, maybe Mercedes? About how their wipers worked at Autobahn speeds. If it's raining, why are you driving at 3-digit speeds?

Oh! Anyone see that Buick crossover commercial a few months ago? They advertised the "world's best crossover." Ummm... isn't the SRX the "Standard of the World" crossover?

Jesda
06-13-11, 05:51 PM
Its a neat ad. Makes the viewer think that Cadillac goes the extra mile for performance, pays attention to details, and gives you much more car than you need -- which really is the idea behind luxury.

I have to give credit to Akerson's bumbling predecessor, Ed Whitacre. He was big on marketing spending.

M5eater
08-17-11, 08:53 AM
Its a neat ad. Makes the viewer think that Cadillac goes the extra mile for performance, pays attention to details, and gives you much more car than you need -- which really is the idea behind luxury.

I have to give credit to Akerson's bumbling predecessor, Ed Whitacre. He was big on marketing spending.

2 month old thread, I know. However, what it looks like they've done, is throw a aero fin on some bosch icons and tuck the wipers under the hood. Nothing special, even my 10 year old Audi that does a scant 130mph has this. When I saw this add though, I thought they had something nicer in mind, but I stare at my 1990s wiper blades every day.

Lord Cadillac
08-17-11, 10:27 AM
2 month old thread, I know.

Just an FYI, but I actually prefer people posting in old discussions rather than creating new ones. It's of normal forum practice for everyone to hate it when people post in an old discussion. If it makes sense to continue discussing the subject matter then I have no understanding why it's bad to do so. I think people simply follow along with, "ahh, it's bad - for some reason" and dislike it. There's nothing wrong with it.

Carry on...

mberisha
08-17-11, 03:16 PM
Wipers....hahah.....we don't need no stinking wipers.....

Seriously....over 140mph+....rain just blows off the windshield......see about 1:20...enjoy.....(switch to HD)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzwLe4mMH8g&hd=1

JimmyH
08-17-11, 07:05 PM
FTW

been using it for 20 years now. I hardly ever use my wipers.

M5eater
08-17-11, 09:46 PM
Wipers....hahah.....we don't need no stinking wipers.....

Seriously....over 140mph+....rain just blows off the windshield......see about 1:20...enjoy.....(switch to HD)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzwLe4mMH8g&hd=1

another good point. The aero blade is to keep the wiper from creeping up the windshield.

been using it for 20 years now. I hardly ever use my wipers.
used it before, it worked so well, it felt weird not having to use my wiper blades, and when it was heavy enough, it just looked weird. Haven't used it since.

Just an FYI, but I actually prefer people posting in old discussions rather than creating new ones.
Nerd forums attack you like rabid zombies if you resurrect threads older than a week.

OffThaHorseCEO
08-18-11, 04:31 PM
Just an FYI, but I actually prefer people posting in old discussions rather than creating new ones. It's of normal forum practice for everyone to hate it when people post in an old discussion. If it makes sense to continue discussing the subject matter then I have no understanding why it's bad to do so. I think people simply follow along with, "ahh, it's bad - for some reason" and dislike it. There's nothing wrong with it.

Carry on...

you cant win for losing on this

if you resurrect a thread you get bashed for zombifying it or whatever

if you create a new thread you get hit with either "repost gaahhhh" or "do a search yeesh"

JimmyH
08-18-11, 05:09 PM
Nerd forums attack you like rabid zombies if you resurrect threads older than a week.

Many of them autolock topics after a few weeks of no posts.

ThumperPup
08-18-11, 05:15 PM
i just use rain-x window treament every few months
i also use Rain-x windshield washer fluid
so my rain runs off likes beads even when doing 35mph at 90 they fly off and at 130 i have no clue cause i cant get this damm thing above 110 lol

mberisha
08-18-11, 05:32 PM
i just use rain-x window treament every few months
i also use Rain-x windshield washer fluid
so my rain runs off likes beads even when doing 35mph at 90 they fly off and at 130 i have no clue cause i cant get this damm thing above 110 lol

Ghost ride it off a cliff and report back!

ThumperPup
08-18-11, 05:44 PM
Ghost ride it off a cliff and report back!

what im confused i get it your trying to make a joke but i don;t understand ghost ride it
you trying to say go ride it off a cliff and let yall know how it doe at 130mph ?

brandondeleo
08-19-11, 04:25 AM
I have yet to try Rain-X. I will be picking some up before the Fall hits.