: XLR reliability and cost of ownersip - looking for your opinion.

lcmlee
06-12-11, 06:50 PM
First of all, I have to say the XLR is an amazing looking car. Saying that, I am thinking of buying one but I am wary of the problems with it. From looking around and reading the threads in this forum, it reads like the XLR is plague with a lot reliability issues which may lead to a higher cost of ownership. Is this the case? You folks who own the XLR...this is probably not your first car. How does the XLR compare to the cars you have owned in the past, with respect to cost of ownership?

skibum2
06-13-11, 07:16 PM
The prancing horse ate too many oats and the R/R sucked up too much grey poupon... These cars are beautiful and they have the ease of being Cadillacs... I Love mine...

lcmlee
06-15-11, 09:36 AM
lol...I see your point...it all depends on one's prospective. Yes, the XLR is a beautiful car and as unique, dare I say, as something like a Jaguar E-Type...but not sure if it will every get into the Museum of Modern Art...but I am sure a lot of owners think there is a chance.

ccclarke
06-15-11, 12:05 PM
It's always important to remember people with problems post and those that don't . . . drive. So the % of problematic cars is far fewer than any car forum would lead you to believe. Compared to my other cars, the XLR is much more complex, and therefore has better odds of developing problems. It came with a few--mostly known issues that the previous owner failed to address, but once I got them taken care of, the car has been fine. Get a good maintenance history (run by any dealership using the VIN) before you pay a cent to ensure you aren't inheiriting someone else's bad dream, and you'll be fine. Hit every online XLR forum and learn everything you can BEFORE you even contemplate a purchase. Just cause she's good looking, doesn't mean she's going to be easy to live with.

CC

alarmu12
06-15-11, 11:39 PM
See that you get a new enough XLR that it has warranty with the ability of the extended warranty. My suggestion is a 2008 or 2009. Ccclarke is right about the original owner has probably has had most of the problems and once they are corrected they usually do not come back, unless the original owner just ignored the problem and sold it at the end of the factory warranty or his lease. Most of these were leased new. My original owner was the ignore the problem and dump it at the end of the lease. It has been in the shop more than it has been out the last year and thank god for warranty or I would be dead in the water. It is at the dealer now with an electrical problem, that they have not been able to find for months.

HartfordGuy
01-12-12, 08:26 AM
Are there any years to avoid? Is the XLR Northstar plagued by the same headgasket issues of the other Cad models?

From what I've read on the Deville-DTS forums those cars seem good after 2005.

ccclarke
01-12-12, 05:22 PM
The XLR is powered by the latest edition of the Northstar. The head gasket issue isn't anything to worry about, compared to the last version of the engine. I know of one instance of an XLR having a head gasket failure.

The 04's and 05's being new, had most of the problems. You can read about the most common issues on this forum. If the common issues are properly addressed, the 04's and 05's are easy to live with. Be aware you aren't going to be doing much maintenance on this vehicle without your own Tech 2. If you can live with occasionally paying a grand for a repair, you'll be okay. Squared away, these are great cars that can be had for a healthy savings compared to their original 75-100k pricetag. Some 04's are selling for under $20k now.

CC