: Two easy airbox questions

mrl859
06-12-11, 04:27 PM
I could've searched but that takes too long and there's no fun in that. So...two easy questions (give or take):

1) Is the factory airbox mod easy? Is it easily reversible? Could I glue/tape the piece back in and get it through the used car safety inspection? The car is leased and I would not want to be charged after the fact for an airbox plus labor. I like the free part of this mod.

2) Would I notice an immediate improvement in performance with no other changes (no tune, etc.)? Also, is there a notable difference in the engine/supercharger sounds?

cbloveday
06-12-11, 04:39 PM
I would not do this mod and expect to reverse it. If the car goes through inspection and the air filter is change out, they will more than likely see the cuts.

mrl859
06-12-11, 04:47 PM
I would not do this mod and expect to reverse it. If the car goes through inspection and the air filter is change out, they will more than likely see the cuts.That's not a problem. I would just put in a new filter, glue the box, fill in the seams, and paint the inside of the airbox to conceal the modification. If I do it well enough, it should be good as new. I just wonder if it's worth it without a tune.

wait4me
06-12-11, 04:54 PM
You could always just buy a cheap replacement bottom to do the mod to. Maybe even someone on the forum has one you could buy for cheap that did a full cold air.

mrl859
06-12-11, 05:41 PM
You could always just buy a cheap replacement bottom to do the mod to. Maybe even someone on the forum has one you could buy for cheap that did a full cold air.Will I see an improvment without a tune?

wait4me
06-12-11, 06:01 PM
Not much.

I can tune your computer for 75 if you send it to us.

mrl859
06-12-11, 08:15 PM
That's not going to work for me. What I really need to do is buy one of your tuners.