: New CTS-V owner in SC

johnny6
06-12-11, 11:48 AM
Hello everyone my name is Johnny, i just recently purchased a 2007 CTS-V 2 months ago. I'm not new to the GM LS world, this is my 3rd LS powered car and the best one out of the three. I've wanted a CTS-V for a long time, i started shopping around for one over 3 years ago with not much luck. Most of them were extremely far, not well taken care of or had really high miles. I gave up on the search for about a year and then i woke up one morning and got the CTS-V itch really bad so i said what the heck and started looking again. That same morning i found a silver 07 V for $22k with 40k miles, from the photos it looked immaculate and the price was just right. I drove 4 hours just to look at it and it was better than the pictures, i was really excited because i knew i was going to buy it (i didn't say that to the salesman though). After it was all said and done i bought the car for $13k trading in my previous vehicle which had decent equity. All in all i'm really happy with the car, i love driving it and it's definitely the best car i've ever owned. Well anyway, i'm really glad to be on this forum, i've been lurking here since i bought the V and decided to join yesterday and it doesn't take much to see how much knowledge there is in here. :)

orconn
06-12-11, 12:45 PM
Welcome to the Forums. Hope you enjoy your visits.

Submariner409
06-12-11, 05:02 PM
Hiya...............be careful of the CTS-V bunch - they tend to get somewhat, ummm......opinionated.

Lived on Isle of Palms from '65 to '68 and '73 to '79 - Navy missile boat patrols - 213 Forest Trail (pre-Hugo).

ga_etc
06-12-11, 05:17 PM
:wecome: Congrats on the purchase. There's a lot of good info and people here.

johnny6
06-12-11, 05:54 PM
Thanks for the welcome :)

Hiya...............be careful of the CTS-V bunch - they tend to get somewhat, ummm......opinionated.

Lived on Isle of Palms from '65 to '68 and '73 to '79 - Navy missile boat patrols - 213 Forest Trail (pre-Hugo).

Great, a fellow bubblehead :D I'm currently in the Navy, i work at the naval weapons station. I'm not a submariner but i have many friends that are.

Submariner409
06-13-11, 08:45 PM
Spent a lotta time alongside Simon Lake or Hunley up in Goose Creek. You still go to The Dock (Gilligan's) and eat fried catfish and hush puppies ?? (Retired QMCM(SS)(DV).........COB on 2 FBM's - started in diesel boats)

Destroyer
06-15-11, 12:42 AM
Slick ride! I have been a fan of the CTS-V from it's inception.

johnny6
06-15-11, 07:25 PM
Spent a lotta time alongside Simon Lake or Hunley up in Goose Creek. You still go to The Dock (Gilligan's) and eat fried catfish and hush puppies ?? (Retired QMCM(SS)(DV).........COB on 2 FBM's - started in diesel boats)

Yeah we try to make it out to the dock every Friday after work, great place. My dad spent his whole naval career on sub tenders, USS Orion, USS Vulcan, USS Yosemite, USS Frank Cable. Did you guys use the Fairbanks Morse diesel engines? :D

Slick ride! I have been a fan of the CTS-V from it's inception.

Thanks! It's a really fun ride, i really recommend one if you can get a good deal on one.

Destroyer
06-15-11, 11:56 PM
Thanks! It's a really fun ride, i really recommend one if you can get a good deal on one.I'm sure I can get a good deal on one in this economy but I don't need one right now. Just fixed up my '67 Cutlass 'vert a few months ago and barely put 200 miles on it. I simply work too much and really don't have time to drive what I want to drive. When I do a CTS-V would be a great daily beater.

Submariner409
06-16-11, 07:09 PM
[QUOTE=johnny6;2626335] Did you guys use the Fairbanks Morse diesel engines? /QUOTE]

My first diesel boat had 4 GM V-16's at 1,700 hp apiece. The second had 4 FM 10's - the 10 cylinder 20 piston engines - an upper and lower crank. The nuke fast attacks and missile boats used FM 8's for emergency propulsion and electrical generation for a reactor startup away from the tender. All these engines drove huge 450VAC generators for main or emergency electrical motor propulsion, rectified for battery charging. The nuke boats each used twin 7,500 hp Westinghouse turbines to spin a reduction gear, bull gear, and single 16 foot 7 blade screw.