: Site Ungodly Slow?

thebigjimsho
06-11-11, 09:08 PM
I've been surfing just fine all night. But since I first tried logging on around 5:30PM until now, I could log on and maybe get to a couple threads, but then the site would slow to a crawl.

I'm sitting at Fenway with clients at a concert and actually fell asleep waiting for a page to load. An hour later, it was still loading. The whole time I could see the header but not the rest of the page. As soon as as I clicked onto another site, each time it loaded very quickly...

thebigjimsho
06-11-11, 09:11 PM
I've been surfing just fine all night. But since I first tried logging on around 5:30PM until now, I could log on and maybe get to a couple threads, but then the site would slow to a crawl.

I'm sitting at Fenway with clients at a concert and actually fell asleep waiting for a page to load. An hour later, it was still loading. The whole time I could see the header but not the rest of the page. As soon as as I clicked onto another site, each time it loaded very quickly...

thebigjimsho
06-11-11, 09:15 PM
Damn this! I think the double thread is proof. Most of the time it all freezes up and I have to hit refresh or go back and reenter. I wouldn't be surprised if this becomes a double post, too...

Ranger
06-12-11, 12:13 AM
I've had no problems at all tonight.

JimmyH
06-12-11, 12:34 PM

There is no reason to repeat yourself.

thebigjimsho
06-21-11, 10:11 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6sFiMELack

thebigjimsho
06-21-11, 10:13 AM
My phone will not upload video of more than 1 minute unless on wi-fi so I took this shorter vid. I've got a better, longer video of the issues I'm continually having but can't upload right now...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcPICL87iIg

thebigjimsho
06-21-11, 10:16 AM
Now, I don't know if this is my computer, the caddy forums or both not interacting properly. My hp laptop at home does not seem to have this problem but when I was at my parents' yesterday, their Gateway desktop WAS having these issues.

My Toshiba that I'm using runs AVG as does my hp at home which is having no problems. My parents are running Trend Micro. All are on Firefox 4...

thebigjimsho
06-21-11, 10:19 AM
And, like I said, I'm having ZERO surfing issues on all the other sites I go to. Any help or ideas would be appreciated...

Lord Cadillac
06-21-11, 01:51 PM
It looks like we still have some growing pains... I don't know what the problem is but hopefully it doesn't last. I'll be upgrading to the next version of this software as soon as it becomes available - as it will probably have fixes for minor issues that have popped up with the most recent upgrade...

JimmyH
06-21-11, 02:08 PM
I have seen really long load times. But if I wait 5-10 minutes and come back, it's almost always back to normal.

Lord Cadillac
06-21-11, 02:22 PM
How frequently do you have to do this?

I have seen really long load times. But if I wait 5-10 minutes and come back, it's almost always back to normal.

Lord Cadillac
06-21-11, 02:34 PM
I just rebooted the server - which hadn't been done in over a month. Hopefully that helps...

Submariner409
06-21-11, 04:32 PM
Pretty fast at 1630............slow two hours ago...........

JimmyH
06-22-11, 01:05 PM
How frequently do you have to do this?

Sorry, I don't really keep track. Not terribly often i don't think. sometimes I log on and as others have said, it's slooooowwwwwww. If I come back 5-10 minutes later, it's usually fine.

thebigjimsho
06-22-11, 05:23 PM
********************YO**********************

So in the first video it shows the page almost loaded but not 100% and I can't scroll up or down. I have noticed that in this event, the entire page and data load EXCEPT FOR ONE THING:

The stupid "If you like this, tell google" and the little notification box next to it doesn't load. After a few seconds, those little links load and I can then navigate the page.

Submariner409
06-22-11, 05:51 PM
Couple of other observations....................A while back I could enter an "s" in the login box and "submariner409" would pop up, click on password and the dots would load and away you went. That function disappeared until about 4 -5 days ago when it suddenly reappeared. Another - it takes several opening page refreshes to get the up/down ^ (furl) function at the right of a Forum blue bar to expand/contract. I have no use for the first 4 Forums, and so I furl (collapse) them out of habit. The "waiting for www.cadillacforums.com" and "waiting for madisonross.com" comes and goes with no real rhyme nor reason.........sometimes the little monitor in the system tray sits there with its dark blue screen for ~ 10 seconds, then it goes light blue and a page loads. Almost like waiting in a queue................and loading a smiley from the CF list is ungodly slow.

Lord Cadillac
06-22-11, 06:46 PM
********************YO**********************

So in the first video it shows the page almost loaded but not 100% and I can't scroll up or down. I have noticed that in this event, the entire page and data load EXCEPT FOR ONE THING:

The stupid "If you like this, tell google" and the little notification box next to it doesn't load. After a few seconds, those little links load and I can then navigate the page.

If that Google thing continues to be a problem, I'll remove it...

Couple of other observations....................A while back I could enter an "s" in the login box and "submariner409" would pop up, click on password and the dots would load and away you went. That function disappeared until about 4 -5 days ago when it suddenly reappeared. Another - it takes several opening page refreshes to get the up/down ^ (furl) function at the right of a Forum blue bar to expand/contract. I have no use for the first 4 Forums, and so I furl (collapse) them out of habit. The "waiting for www.cadillacforums.com" and "waiting for madisonross.com" comes and goes with no real rhyme nor reason.........sometimes the little monitor in the system tray sits there with its dark blue screen for ~ 10 seconds, then it goes light blue and a page loads. Almost like waiting in a queue................and loading a smiley from the CF list is ungodly slow.

I'm not sure the login box could be an issue with the forum software.. But maybe... I'm not sure what the deal is with the furl stuff.. The madisonross.com notice is for the very top javascript to load with the list of Madison Ross Media Group forums.. It's a very small script. So if that's taking time to load, than everything on the server is probably slow at that point in time. And this is the first I'm hearing about the slow loading smiley list...

thebigjimsho
06-23-11, 11:29 AM
Sal, another thing...

There is a difference in what loads and how long. Sometimes, just bringing up the subforums list page, like anyplace here, can be slow. BUT, when bringing up that page, or a subforum header page, it just loads slowly but NEVER hangs up. It's ONLY when clicking on a thread where those google "Like this post" links are found.

Are there any other differences between a forums list page and an individual thread page such as different widgets or advertisements? Today was particularly enraging as I had to hit refresh about 12 times to load a page in the '09+ V forum. It's getting to the point I just don't have the patience to surf this site anymore when it's like this...

Lord Cadillac
06-23-11, 11:34 AM
I took the Google Plus One out.. Let me know if that helps any...

JimmyH
06-23-11, 01:01 PM
must have, the site is faster today than I have seen in some time :thumbsup:

thebigjimsho
06-27-11, 09:52 PM
Yep, much better! I do still have to reload a page once in a while but once it reloads, it doesn't freeze my cursor anymore. Those google "likes" seemed to be the culprit...

thebigjimsho
07-01-11, 10:03 AM
I wonder if Firefox is having problems. Maybe it's my computer. This site was unusable on my laptop this morning using Firefox. I could navigate it fine on my HTC Evo. I am now having no issues using Google Chrome.

But this morning the page would fully load but the page scroll would freeze repeatedly. Then if I tried to post a Quick Reply, I could enter in a few letters and then the page would freeze and I had to wait a while to input more letters. I also noticed the refresh button was cycling between "stop" and "refresh".

This is not strictly a Mozilla issue. All my other sites were working fine this morning...

smackdownCTSV
07-18-11, 07:39 PM
Bump! It's been slow again.

Submariner409
07-18-11, 07:57 PM
Rant deleted. Too much bourbon too late in the evening.

smackdownCTSV
07-18-11, 10:28 PM
It seems to have picked back up to speed now. Hmmmm.

smackdownCTSV
07-18-11, 10:32 PM
Nevermind, spoke too soon. Timed out twice followed my very slow page load up.

Ranger
07-18-11, 10:37 PM
It's been damned near unresponsive all evening. It's either extremely slow to load or it times out multiple times. I'm giving up for tonight.

Stingroo
07-19-11, 12:48 AM
Sal said something via Facebook about hack attempts coming in from China.

Lord Cadillac
07-19-11, 09:32 AM
Yes, we had some hackers with China IPs messing around all day yesterday. I'm pretty sure everything was cleared up by late last night (eastern time)...

Ranger
07-19-11, 10:38 AM
Thanks for the explanation Sal, but I'm confused. What does anyone gain by hacking into this site?

Lord Cadillac
07-19-11, 11:56 AM
Over 100,000 email addresses and a very large audience...

Thanks for the explanation Sal, but I'm confused. What does anyone gain by hacking into this site?

OffThaHorseCEO
07-19-11, 03:47 PM
damn chinese hackers

Lord Cadillac
07-19-11, 03:56 PM
We just made some changes and it's running fast - for now...

Submariner409
07-19-11, 04:04 PM
..........fastest I've been able to logon in days..............

JimmyH
07-19-11, 04:06 PM
seriously? chinese hackers trying to get in?

JimmyH
07-19-11, 04:07 PM
another double post

Lord Cadillac
07-19-11, 04:18 PM
We updated Apache... Maybe that'll help. I hope it stays at least decent while traffic picks up again...

Lord Cadillac
07-19-11, 04:19 PM
There are 2,227 people browsing the forums right this second.. Forums only.. So that's not the big picture. So right now things are going great with all these people browsing...

Ranger
07-19-11, 09:25 PM
FWIW, I got the gate way error earlier this afternoon and could not get into the site. All is well now.

Lord Cadillac
07-20-11, 11:41 AM
Has everything been fast since late yesterday?

Stingroo
07-20-11, 11:50 AM
Seems to be working.

I've noticed another weird glitch though:

When I go to post, I get dialogue boxes sometimes that ask whether I want to leave the page or stay on the page. Any idea what's up with that?

Lord Cadillac
07-20-11, 11:53 AM
I think that's some type of incompatibility with the new text editor and certain versions of browsers. Or perhaps even the server setup. It should go away with future upgrades...

Seems to be working.

I've noticed another weird glitch though:

When I go to post, I get dialogue boxes sometimes that ask whether I want to leave the page or stay on the page. Any idea what's up with that?

Stingroo
07-20-11, 12:00 PM
Ah.

It doesn't happen all the time, just occasionally. Seems to follow no logic or pattern.

JimmyH
07-20-11, 01:46 PM
^same here. I get that message every once in a while. it usually precipitates a double post. fwiw I am running chrome.

Lord Cadillac
07-20-11, 02:12 PM
How's the speed since the trouble the past couple of days?

Ranger
07-20-11, 02:28 PM
When I go to post, I get dialogue boxes sometimes that ask whether I want to leave the page or stay on the page.
I get that occasionally as well.

Speed has been fine since yesterday afternoon.

JimmyH
07-20-11, 03:26 PM
yup, been snappy all day today, thanks sal

Lord Cadillac
07-20-11, 03:41 PM
Thank you. Since yesterday, late afternoon - pages have been loading almost instantly for me... With all the ads of a non-supporter.