: Recommend a truck/SUV for the wife!

zirotti
06-11-11, 08:51 PM
We are looking for a truck/SUV for the wifey. She really wants an Escalade, which I love, but it's a bit overkill for us (just use two right now). I am trying to think of something I would like to drive too, as I am really trying to avoid having her drive another boring car...

Probably going to lease as well as she is only 2 miles from her office and only driving about 75 miles a week lol.

Thanks!

hulksdaddy
06-11-11, 08:57 PM
Bought my wife a 2011 Equinox LTZ. Great vehicle in everyway.

ocg
06-11-11, 09:22 PM
My wife has an BMW X5M and loves it. She rarely lets me drive it.

JOEYCTS-V
06-11-11, 09:50 PM
X6 m ;)

jwa999
06-11-11, 10:03 PM
Boxster, if she likes convertibles. They are a hoot to drive.

EVIL_C5
06-11-11, 10:09 PM
Escalade, I love our 2010. It's our 2nd escalade.

cbloveday
06-11-11, 10:25 PM
X2 get the escalade. We are on our second one as well. Our first was a Black Raven ESV. We drove to our boat every weekend and needed the extra 21 inches of cargo room. Once the boat was sold, we went with a standard size. When you pull the trigger, get her a vanity plate like "SCALADY", unless of course you'll be driving it. LOL

We traded in our SRX cause it just couldn't hold all the groceries, daughter's cheerleader friends, and son's movie friends.
It is also nice to take one car to dinner when my parents visit. The Escalade is a 7 seater, which we need. Get the rear captain seats too.

austin26372
06-11-11, 10:29 PM
Check out some of the Lincoln offerings, if you're not opposed. Their EcoBoost (small displacement, BIG turbo) offerings are fun yet fuel efficient. If you want more info let me know (my father sells them new).

(Wow, sounds like I'm posting an ad or something! )

shchow
06-11-11, 10:30 PM
My wife currently drives the Escalade ESV because we have 4 kids.
Had the GL450 before, which she loved but needed something bigger.
If it's just the two of you, consider Range Rover Sport, X5/6, F150 Raptor :)
Panamera/Cayenne, CTS-V wagon...

zirotti
06-11-11, 10:37 PM
Hahah! I said the Raptor as well:)

M5eater
06-11-11, 10:41 PM
A trailblazer SS will get the groceries just fine.

MotownPimp
06-11-11, 10:56 PM
We have a 2010 Lexus RX 350 which my girl loves. Nicest SUV we have owned by a wide margin. Not to shabby on performance either.

If something smaller try the Infinite Ex. We looked at one a couple years back. Nicest interior I had seen...until I got in the C TS Coupe.

Prof
06-12-11, 09:12 AM
Raptor...yup...if Christine wanted a truck, I would encourage her towards the Raptor...totally selfish...but I would give it a shot!

Right now she is pondering the Tesla roadster...her effort to mitigate my carbon foot print with 1435 hp between my two vehicles.

whisler151
06-12-11, 10:47 AM
We are looking for a truck/SUV for the wifey. She really wants an Escalade, which I love, but it's a bit overkill for us (just use two right now). I am trying to think of something I would like to drive too, as I am really trying to avoid having her drive another boring car...

Probably going to lease as well as she is only 2 miles from her office and only driving about 75 miles a week lol.

Thanks!

My wife had a 2010 SRX but we traded it in on a 6.2L Ford Raptor. Seriously, the Raptor has more luxury features in the cabin than the SRX. Bluetooth audio and the Ford Sync system are amazing!

She has never had a truck before, and LOVES it. I feel good knowing that she is in a vehicle that is bigger than most others.
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n6/whisler151/IMG_1914.jpg?t=1304892482

shchow
06-12-11, 11:12 AM
^^^That's beautiful!

aj660
06-12-11, 03:28 PM
My vote is for Range Rover sport or Infiniti FX50.

RLJ676
06-12-11, 04:15 PM
SRX, Enclave/Acadia or even a loaded up Terrain would all get the job done.

Of course I would just say go w/ the Escalade, and get the hybrid for her. The gas saved by an Esc Hybrid is much more than a tiny compact car, even if the final avg isn't great.

mrl859
06-12-11, 04:22 PM
Boxster, if she likes convertibles. They are a hoot to drive.That's a truck/SUV?

wait4me
06-12-11, 04:29 PM
the raptor is a very nice truck. We have tuned a few of them, and they are pretty fun on the street. The radio is pretty nice in it...

mrl859
06-12-11, 04:31 PM
Srx ftw.

MReiland
06-12-11, 05:01 PM
Try out the Enclave, it is quite a nice ride and room for 7/8. We have 55k on the Outlook and it still is running great. I also like the Acadia Denali. If she likes the Escalade check out Yukon Denali also, very similar for less money.

amunderdog
06-12-11, 05:05 PM
Volvo XC60
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCJMZE-dpkY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1VNvatxa40
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoG-ci4pIog

zero26039
06-12-11, 06:00 PM
International MXT

amunderdog
06-12-11, 06:19 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4bJsIogkGk

King335i
06-13-11, 07:04 AM
I would say maybe a GMC Terrain. I bought my wife a 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland and she loves it so far, the build quality is great with nice interior materials and a comfortable ride. I would even say that you could skip the V8 and she'd probably still be just as happy with the car!

Prof
06-13-11, 08:34 AM
OK so some of us are having fun with this thread...hope you take it in good spirit...I would still try to get her to choose the Raptor...but if she wants a little more...I am close to being tired of mine...she could have it for 75% the cost of a fully optioned new Raptor...

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g50/rfouts/1SRT%2010/014.jpg

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g50/rfouts/1SRT%2010/027.jpg

Interested?

zero26039
06-13-11, 10:57 AM
Whats your budget? I like the jeep wrangler four door!

Playdrv4me
06-13-11, 01:58 PM
Plus 1 for the Raptor. The GMT900 Escalade hasn't impressed me enough to ever buy a new one, and it really is overkill for 2 people. Plus, it is due to be replaced in 2012 for the 2013 model year. If the budget will allow it, a Range Rover Supercharged, X5M or X6m are also fantastic choices.

Jesda
06-13-11, 05:53 PM
Women LOVE the Enclave, SRX, and RX350. I like the Enclave most of all.

If you want something with more driving feel, there's the new Saab 9-4x which is an SRX with different sheetmetal, a revised 2.8 turbo, and sharper handling.

orconn
06-13-11, 06:20 PM
Go with the Saab 9-4x, she'll love it and you'll be able to tolerate driving her car once in awhile!

Night Wolf
06-13-11, 07:05 PM
Just rented a 2011 Hyundai Santa Fe and drove to from Chicago to Atlanta. It was impressive. Much cheaper than the others listed, but depending on interests, not a brand to impress the neighbors.

This one was most likely basic model, only had a DOHC 4cyl with 6-speed automatic and AWD. Acceleration wasn't great but it got 25mpg highway, seemed well for a decent sized AWD SUV with 4cyl. i'm sure the nicer trim levels with the V6 would be great.

Interior was very nice, it drove nice and handled well. Had a nice sound system with bluetooth radio - overall a very nice little SUV for someone not into cars. Things I didn't like is the electronic throttle - I've yet to drive a vehicle with it that I do like. Also the steering, while sharp as in no dead spot - it didn't have any feeling of being connected. Then again I enjoy the driving experience of 80s BMW's so that is to be expected of what is otherwise an appliance for people see cars only as modes of transportation.

It was very quiet on the highway - surprisngly so that I had to keep watching my speedo and was doing 75 in 55 zones without notice. Also had a nice ride and lots of space inside. It's atleast worth a look if not hung up on high end brands.

M5eater
06-13-11, 07:34 PM
Interior was very nice, it drove nice and handled well. Had a nice sound system with bluetooth radio - overall a very nice little SUV for someone not into cars
you hit the nail on the head there my friend. It's basic transportation, even all those features you listed are pretty much standard on cheap eco-boxes anymore. Everything seems to look better by itself when you're not shopping around looking at and touching its competition is what I'm saying I suppose.

Playdrv4me
06-13-11, 07:46 PM
I may be off here, but it sounds to me like SRXs, Enclaves and Santa Fes are precisely what the OP is trying to avoid getting sucked into since he mentioned that he wants something fun for him to drive as well, and pickups are not off the list. (Though the 9-4x was an interesting suggestion).

The raptor is outright awesome, though an SRT-10 Ram is probably a little too crazy. HD F150 (Supercharged) would get much of the fun on a budget.

Aron9000
06-14-11, 02:42 AM
Go look at the new Jeep Grand Cherokee's. Those are some damn nice trucks, plus one with the hemi V8 option should move out pretty damn nice(to the next gas station lol).

Also maybe look at the Audi Q5. Or a BMW X3 or X5, with the turbocharged inline six. BMW does a good job at making their SUV's fun to drive, that X3 with the 300hp turbo motor should scoot along pretty good. Those should be a lot more fun to drive than the SRX(cough Equinox cough).

Night Wolf
06-14-11, 03:13 AM
Yes, if any sort of "driver involvement" is desired, then pass on the Santa Fe. I found the "manual" shift mode to be quite funny... 6-gears to choose from, but it was merly a suggestion for the computer to decide what gear to be in anyway.

I really have no other input to add in this market segment, other than don't discredit the non-turbo BMW I6 even in the SUVs and if "fun to drive" is on the list, then those things would probably be at the top of mine, based off my experience with the brand.

aj660
06-14-11, 03:25 PM
One of my co-workers recently picked up the Infiniti FX50 and it is sweeeeeet!!!!! I was very impressed with the ride and it's pretty fast too.

I will definitely consider the FX50 as soon as my current SUV lease is up in 10 months.