: Does anyone have more than 10k miles on their car with D3 springs?

neuronbob
06-11-11, 08:07 AM
I'm still interested in lowering my car. To my eyes, the D3 springs are the best option as they have responded to customer feedback on the springs. The springs have been out for about a year with the spring sleeves and rods and so I am interested in ONLY LONG TERM, HIGH-MILEAGE experience with the springs with these changes.

By "high-mileage", I mean more than 10k miles and preferably more than that as my car is a daily driver. I drive 12-14k miles a year in my V, it is QUIET in terms of creaks and rattles (a pleasant surprise at almost 26k miles on the odo) and I want to keep it that way.

D3, you are welcome to chime in, too if you know of high-mileage cars with your springs. :)

TYVM in advance.

neuronbob
06-12-11, 09:40 AM
So you guys are using them only on garage queens? :D

Q8 6.2
06-12-11, 10:13 AM
Yes about 2 years and more than 10,000 I'm one of the first to get them it is my FAVORIT mod they made this car look soo good check my utube video to see how it looks ( search Borla catback),didn't come with rods or sleeves and I have no bad sounds or complaints at all..

I guarantee you all the complaints in this forum is from bad installs and not from the D3 springs.

Bookinctsv
06-12-11, 10:16 AM
i have had the springs since november. I have a 2011 cts-v sedan. 21,000 miles. i have squeaks. car rides like stock, its badass, but the sounds are annoying.

Rabbitctsv
06-12-11, 10:19 AM
i have 17k on mine, well i was some of the first to get them with out the sleeves. do have the sleeves now but have not installed them yet, my only problem with them is that i have moved into my new house after putting them on and i have to drive into my driveway very slow, IN and OUT, it seems scrape all the time only at my house, as far as every day driving i love them, i dont remember how it was oem but i do love them . its an every day car.

musclesbmf
06-12-11, 11:32 AM
...I guarantee you all the complaints in this forum is from bad installs and not from the D3 springs.

And I guarantee you have no idea what you are talking about.

Mark

Q8 6.2
06-12-11, 11:49 AM
Well then explain to me why is it I don't have any sounds

neuronbob
06-12-11, 12:21 PM
PLEASE no arguing in my thread. The arguing is NOT helpful to me. All I want is your experience.

Thank you for the replies so far.

Titaniumseeker
06-12-11, 12:54 PM
Yes about 2 years and more than 10,000 I'm one of the first to get them it is my FAVORIT mod they made this car look soo good check my utube video to see how it looks ( search Borla catback),didn't come with rods or sleeves and I have no bad sounds or complaints at all..

I guarantee you all the complaints in this forum is from bad installs and not from the D3 springs.

You cannot make a broad based statement like this and not expect negative feedback. You are assuming that the majority of members did not have their springs professionally installed by competent shops and that assumption is untrue. Your environment is different in terms of temperature and humidity which may explain why you have not experienced the squeeking springs issue. Many members in the warmer climates do not appear to have this issue while there are others within that very same climate that do. Were all bad installations? I think not. Installation of springs is not rocket science. And while I will admit that it is possible to find a shop that would install them incorrectly; the probability of all spring noise issues being attributed to improper installs is nearly zero.

BTW: I have had my springs installed by the dealer (Lindsay) and again at Behe and the result was the same. Squeeking and groining noises and now rusted ride height rods supplied by D3 have had me return the car back to stock height. I am still waiting on the coated ride height rods (month 2) and do have the sleeve for the springs. As far as I am concerned, the jury is still out.

Another note: To be fair I should also mention that Eibach appears to have received similar complaints on their springs. They have been very proactive and swift to provide a solution to their customers. We'll have to wait and see how this works out as well.

neuronbob
06-12-11, 01:33 PM
Rusted ride height rods are a concern given I live in Cleveland, land of winter salt. I'd probably get around that by putting Xpel or other clear bra material on them. Not a show-stopper by any means.

GMX322V S/C
06-12-11, 02:10 PM
I've had them since first release, but I think I'm still just under your threshold of 10,000 miles. They did start squeaking within a month, but ultimately this was fixed with the sleeves. I've had the rods since first release and love the ride. They also made me some thicker rear spring perches to add back some rake to my liking. I've made several 1,000+ mile road trips, fully laden with passengers and luggage with no problems; I do set Sport mode on uneven surfaces when fully laden.

Titaniumseeker
06-12-11, 05:12 PM
I've had them since first release, but I think I'm still just under your threshold of 10,000 miles. They did start squeaking within a month, but ultimately this was fixed with the sleeves. I've had the rods since first release and love the ride. They also made me some thicker rear spring perches to add back some rake to my liking. I've made several 1,000+ mile road trips, fully laden with passengers and luggage with no problems; I do set Sport mode on uneven surfaces when fully laden.

Were the thicker rear spring perches something D3 is offering or was this done as a special request as you are in their back yard?

haterinc
06-12-11, 07:17 PM
i'm curious as well because i like the comp springs being .25" higher in the rear and the fact that they're progressive... but i'm not sure how much stiffer they'll be than the sport springs?

neuronbob
06-12-11, 11:19 PM
Were the thicker rear spring perches something D3 is offering or was this done as a special request as you are in their back yard?

+1 and thanks GMX...

GMX322V S/C
06-12-11, 11:55 PM
D3 did the perches for me as a special request.

Q8 6.2
06-13-11, 06:21 AM
You cannot make a broad based statement like this and not expect negative feedback. You are assuming that the majority of members did not have their springs professionally installed by competent shops and that assumption is untrue. Your environment is different in terms of temperature and humidity which may explain why you have not experienced the squeeking springs issue. Many members in the warmer climates do not appear to have this issue while there are others within that very same climate that do. Were all bad installations? I think not. Installation of springs is not rocket science. And while I will admit that it is possible to find a shop that would install them incorrectly; the probability of all spring noise issues being attributed to improper installs is nearly zero.

BTW: I have had my springs installed by the dealer (Lindsay) and again at Behe and the result was the same. Squeeking and groining noises and now rusted ride height rods supplied by D3 have had me return the car back to stock height. I am still waiting on the coated ride height rods (month 2) and do have the sleeve for the springs. As far as I am concerned, the jury is still out.

Another note: To be fair I should also mention that Eibach appears to have received similar complaints on their springs. They have been very proactive and swift to provide a solution to their customers. We'll have to wait and see how this works out as well.

Hey man im sure there are alot of happy customers with d3 springs this is a forum so only unhappy customers will post If it's cold weather that make you car squeak then it's not spring noise it's rubber bushings maybe put some grease if it's clucking then it needs to be seated correctly

With any spring it is not as easy to install as you say only a few mm to one side will make them noisy.

Ill tell you a story..Few years ago I installed eibach springs on my 350 Z at a very good suspension shop they were clunking went back they took a good look we checked everything it looked all ok and they looked perfectly seated, he refuse to remove them and fix it he says I have faulty springs,Well few days later took it to another shop they loosened the bolts and I think he just turned and moved them few millimeters or something and clunking went away forever..

haterinc
06-14-11, 06:14 PM
we'll know soon, i just ordered a set of comps from D3 and they shipped today. i like them for 2 reasons, 1 being the extra .25" and 2 the fact that they're progressive. i live in KY and drive my hummer when there is snow out anyway but hopefully they won't be noisy

neuronbob
06-14-11, 10:36 PM
Thanks for all the comments, guys. I am probably going to order sometime this summer. Long hours at work mean these won't be installed for a while, though. Someone's got to pay for all these toys, and it isn't the wife.....

haterinc
06-14-11, 10:50 PM
Eh the only toys the wife should buy you are filled with memory gel anyway

Titaniumseeker
06-14-11, 11:14 PM
Hey man im sure there are alot of happy customers with d3 springs this is a forum so only unhappy customers will post If it's cold weather that make you car squeak then it's not spring noise it's rubber bushings maybe put some grease if it's clucking then it needs to be seated correctly

With any spring it is not as easy to install as you say only a few mm to one side will make them noisy.

Ill tell you a story..Few years ago I installed eibach springs on my 350 Z at a very good suspension shop they were clunking went back they took a good look we checked everything it looked all ok and they looked perfectly seated, he refuse to remove them and fix it he says I have faulty springs,Well few days later took it to another shop they loosened the bolts and I think he just turned and moved them few millimeters or something and clunking went away forever..

I had a similar issue with the initial install of UUC springs on my 740I. They were clunking whenever I would brake to a full stop and the shop that did the install tried to feed me a line that the springs had to settle. They also managed to break one of the wheel speed sensors. Turns out the bolts were loose on the upper perch and I had it corrected at another shop. This is not the case here. My springs were installed in the late spring so the weather was not a factor. Two installs, two different shops, results the same. Yes grease was used on the contacts to the perch (upper and lower). And no, that did not stop the squeeking while driving nor stopping. The sleeves appear to be the solution in the short run. D3 stated that they have shipped the new ride height rods out today so I will see about reinstalling them.

COUPE DE JOUR
06-15-11, 09:27 PM
ok guys...just posted on another thread about the D3 springs, which my cady tech installed, PROFESSIONLALLY, and I have SQUEAKS!! Even after sleeving them, the squeaks still came and we don't know why. we reinstalled them and made sure the sleeves didnt slide and still squeaks. Thinking the bushings are the cause due to the drastic dynamic change on the suspension. Not happy at all as its embarresing when pulling up or parking.

If anyone knows or has any ideas on what to do, please chime in. I guess some of you are lucky not to have this issue.

Q8 6.2
06-16-11, 04:46 AM
I had a similar issue with the initial install of UUC springs on my 740I. They were clunking whenever I would brake to a full stop and the shop that did the install tried to feed me a line that the springs had to settle. They also managed to break one of the wheel speed sensors. Turns out the bolts were loose on the upper perch and I had it corrected at another shop. This is not the case here. My springs were installed in the late spring so the weather was not a factor. Two installs, two different shops, results the same. Yes grease was used on the contacts to the perch (upper and lower). And no, that did not stop the squeeking while driving nor stopping. The sleeves appear to be the solution in the short run. D3 stated that they have shipped the new ride height rods out today so I will see about reinstalling them.

I don't have sleeve or ride hight rods and didn't ask for them as I don't want to change a thing car looks and rides perfect.. when you added lowering springs you changed the angel so if your bushings are hard or dry they will make noises. Just use heavy grease don't forget the sway bars as I think that's where the squeks is coming from.

haterinc
06-16-11, 09:16 AM
ok guys...just posted on another thread about the D3 springs, which my cady tech installed, PROFESSIONLALLY, and I have SQUEAKS!! Even after sleeving them, the squeaks still came and we don't know why. we reinstalled them and made sure the sleeves didnt slide and still squeaks. Thinking the bushings are the cause due to the drastic dynamic change on the suspension. Not happy at all as its embarresing when pulling up or parking.

If anyone knows or has any ideas on what to do, please chime in. I guess some of you are lucky not to have this issue.

did you get sport or comp springs?

musclesbmf
06-16-11, 10:11 AM
This weekend I'm disconnecting my sway bar end link and going to go for a drive to see if any noise is changed, reduced, or eliminated. I will report back. I (and some others) believe it is the rubberized upper spring perch making the noise though. I wish there was some type of replacement for these perches. Some type of hard composite. If my sway bar bushings that are under the car are not the culprit, then I'm going to try and remove the grooves in the upper perch to make it a solid surface on the spring. Let you guys know.
BTW, I have the same noise with the D3's and the Eibach's. Currently I even have the plastic sleeves from Eibach on the springs and while it reduced some noises, there are still plenty of noises there.

Mark

musclesbmf
06-16-11, 10:14 AM
Well then explain to me why is it I don't have any sounds

If I could explain it, then i would share the solution with everyone. But I will say this. I've installed these on a few cars atleast 6 times. My friend KILLR-V has the Eibachs that I installed and his car makes ZERO noise. My car, has noise. There is no rhyme or reason on the noise.

Mark

Titaniumseeker
06-16-11, 08:06 PM
I don't have sleeve or ride hight rods and didn't ask for them as I don't want to change a thing car looks and rides perfect.. when you added lowering springs you changed the angel so if your bushings are hard or dry they will make noises. Just use heavy grease don't forget the sway bars as I think that's where the squeks is coming from.

Um..No... I was one of the first group to receive the springs so neither the sleeves nor the ride height rods were available. 1st install by dealer using heavy grease on all contacts. Result: Squeeking. 2nd install by Behe with sleeves and grease. Result: Squeeking. Ride height rods added later. Result: Squeeking. Found ride height rods to be rusting so returned everything back to stock. Result: No Squeeking. The initial install was done last spring so the temp was in the mid 80's here. Be thankful that you did not have to go through these changes. It appears 50/50 that you will either have problems or you wont. So after blowing a considerable amount of money (little over $500) for labor and alignment each time, I am hesitant to do this again until I am absolutely sure that all problems are resolved. I had no complaints about the performance, just tired of the embarrasement of the groining and squeeking pulling up to a light as if the the car was an old jalopy.

Q8 6.2
06-17-11, 06:09 AM
If I could explain it, then i would share the solution with everyone. But I will say this. I've installed these on a few cars atleast 6 times. My friend KILLR-V has the Eibachs that I installed and his car makes ZERO noise. My car, has noise. There is no rhyme or reason on the noise.

Mark

Haha yeh dose not make sence maybe your friend is at a different hight not enough to change the angel on the bushings i dont know man.. But The sound you are describing is definatly metal scraping moving on dry bushings..

Q8 6.2
06-17-11, 06:28 AM
Um..No... I was one of the first group to receive the springs so neither the sleeves nor the ride height rods were available. 1st install by dealer using heavy grease on all contacts. Result: Squeeking. 2nd install by Behe with sleeves and grease. Result: Squeeking. Ride height rods added later. Result: Squeeking. Found ride height rods to be rusting so returned everything back to stock. Result: No Squeeking. The initial install was done last spring so the temp was in the mid 80's here. Be thankful that you did not have to go through these changes. It appears 50/50 that you will either have problems or you wont. So after blowing a considerable amount of money (little over $500) for labor and alignment each time, I am hesitant to do this again until I am absolutely sure that all problems are resolved. I had no complaints about the performance, just tired of the embarrasement of the groining and squeeking pulling up to a light as if the the car was an old jalopy.

Sux man . I hope someone finds the answer soon.