: New Member engine overheating problem...

514mtl
06-11-11, 01:54 AM
My 2001 Cadillac Deville DTS is overheating and fluctuates depending on how fast I'm driving. The air conditioning works, the heat doesn't work unless I rev the engine high. The top rad hose gets extremely hot. I've changed the thermostat, the belt seems fine. I've changed the coolant. I'm wondering if there's air in the system, would that cause the heater not to work and to overheat? If not, I could use some suggestions of what the problem could be. Any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks

vincentm
06-11-11, 02:48 AM
How hot is it getting? Radiator hoses get hot, its natural. What is your DIC saying? Have you pulled any codes? Is it smoking?

-------------------------------------------------------
Sent from my Northstar powered phone

maeng9981
06-11-11, 03:24 AM
If you have air in the system by whatever reason and if the purge line is clogged, your car will overheat. You need to see if your purge line is clogged first.

If your purge line is clear and you are still having problems, you have to find out what introduces "air" in the cooling system.

Ranger
06-11-11, 12:25 PM
:welcome: :yeah:

I'm wondering if there's air in the system, would that cause the heater not to work and to overheat?
Absolutely. The question then becomes, is it air or exhaust gases? If the purge line is clear, it's probably the latter.