: 95 FWD with headers questions

mtaccone
06-10-11, 08:45 PM
I bought this car recently and it has Hooker headers on it with a custom exhaust of some sort. Is there any way to quiet this down and keep the headers or do I need to pull them and put a set of original manifolds on? I am not sure if putting the original type mufflers and resonators on this would work. Please help.

csbuckn
06-10-11, 09:31 PM
Quite mufflers should get you where you want.

outsider
06-10-11, 09:34 PM
yeah swap the mufflers. I'll take the headers if you wanna get rid of them ;)

jayoldschool
06-10-11, 09:40 PM
Like the others have said, the mufflers are where the sound is coming from. You still might want to consider swapping out the Hookers, though. They are widely acknowledged as the worst headers produced for the LT1. If they are not ceramic coated, and you haven't taken steps to protect wiring, the heater hoses, and the wiper motor... you will melt stuff quick. I have installed a set for a friend, so I have first hand knowledge.

mtaccone
06-10-11, 09:58 PM
I was going to get rid of them but could not find a left side manifold. By the time I did locate them the shop had already replaced the nonexistent gaskets and bolts. Would love to get rid of them but don't feel like paying again. He did say they were "coated" but to be honest I don't know a damn thing about headers. How can i tell if they are ceramic coated? If I can replace exhaust with original mufflers and resonators to fix the issue that would make the car worth keeping I guess. This whole thing kind of made me loose interest and am almost ready to just get the title and run it to the auction see if I could get the $2600 back. If I can get it quiet all I would need to do is put new air shocks and repair the flat drivers seat and it would be perfect. If they are NOT coated what steps can I take to keep from having an engine fire? I really don't want to spend money to remove these as much as i don't want them.

mtaccone
06-15-11, 05:15 PM
anybody?

csbuckn
06-15-11, 05:38 PM
I wouldnt remove them if there is no problems with them. They can get a little hotter than stock stuff but nothing thats gonna cause a fire as long as everything else is in its place and functioning right. Just put the quietest mufflers you can find and see if you like it.

mtaccone
06-15-11, 06:03 PM
Sounds good. I will have mufflers and resonators put on it next week and hope for the best. Really it is quiet under the hood now that it has gaskets and all of the bolts put in. Thank you