: GM CEO says raise Federal gas tax by $1 per gallon

khoeysr
06-10-11, 04:34 PM
Our boy Dan Ankerson says this will encourage people to buy more fuel efficient cars.

Hello Dan, us folks on this forum drive a gas guzzler designed and built by your company. C'mon, what are you saying, if we can afford the car we can afford to get crushed on the fuel?

WTF.

RippyPartsDept
06-10-11, 05:10 PM
sounds like what he's saying is that if the politicians want more people to buy fuel efficient vehicles they should raise the gas tax

Submariner409
06-10-11, 05:21 PM
Raise it. I'll just drive and spend less than I'm doing now..............and I'm not alone: look where the tax&spend giveaway mentality has put the economy. The country is sliding down the tubes and no one believes it.

ThumperPup
06-10-11, 06:00 PM
dam politicians
but for the CEO of GM to say that wow just messed up

first off ok so a car that gets better MPG is one thing we already have obamha trying to push hybrids on us and those things are anywhere from 15% to 30% more then the non hybrid models of the same care unless you drive 50k a year it will be 6 years before you see the value in savings lol

sounds more like they want the goverment to stop charging them so much tax and then charge it to us

Koooop
06-10-11, 06:09 PM
Time to fire that jackass.

SecretWeapon
06-10-11, 06:11 PM
He doesn't care about fuel costs because he uses the company credit card. What a dick weed.

Koooop
06-10-11, 06:19 PM
The GM bail out is already costing us $14,000,000,000. Just tax us some more, what a jerkoff.

hueterm
06-10-11, 06:50 PM
He's Obama's ass buddy...

DouglasJRizzo
06-10-11, 07:05 PM
Easy for him to say. the gas tax could be $100 per gal and it wouldn't phase him in the least.

oxymoron
06-10-11, 10:00 PM
this guy. this is not my kind of guy. He's got a telecommunications background and was seated on the GM board as a representative for the US Treasury. he's a mouthpece for the administration and nothing more. He earlier in the year was mouthing the words that the gov't told him to speak, saying that the debt was paid off which wasn't true then and is not likely to be true anytime in the near term.

Koooop
06-11-11, 12:51 AM
A Government Meat Puppet.

Aron9000
06-11-11, 01:25 AM
Yeah this guy needs to take a long walk off a short pier.

Really, GM historically has not been able to sell a decent small car. The Cruze is actually nice, but the Aveo is a piece of junk in the grand tradition of 40 years of POS small cars like the Cavalier, Vega, Sunbird, Grand Am, Citation, Cimmaron, etc. Correct me if I'm wrong, but GM lost $$$ on most of those little pos cars they sold, at least for the first few years when the design was new. The real money is in large cars, luxury cars, trucks and SUV's, stuff people tend not to buy when gas prices are jacked up.

Akerson is a complete idiot since he seems to have forgotten about 2008. The year that gas reached $4.00 a gallon triggered several things. First it pushed a shaky economy over the brink into collapse, it killed the new car market and sales of suvs/trucks, and was the final nail in the coffin that made GM and Chrysler file for bankruptcy. This guy will run GM into the ground again if he's given enough time and influence IMO.

77CDV
06-11-11, 03:22 AM
Well, bless his little heart! I guess us common folk can just eat cake.

DouglasJRizzo
06-11-11, 08:36 AM
Well, bless his little heart! I guess us common folk can just eat cake.

That seems to be the attitude of the Obama administration as well.

hueterm
06-11-11, 06:41 PM
Please use Google to find the proper insertion method....Dannyboy...

orconn
06-11-11, 06:56 PM
Please use Google to find the proper insertion method....Dannyboy...

Far to too facile a vegetable, he should use a pineapple ... not only more appropriate for the size of his orifice but far more memorable!

billc83
06-11-11, 07:13 PM
This thread's taken quite the turn...

Jesda
06-11-11, 11:58 PM
Well, I expected such idiocy from Akerson. Rising fuel prices would mean GM could charge more for small low-end cars. The only winner would be GM.

Oh but its "For our own good"

F*** that toolbag.

Playdrv4me
06-12-11, 02:35 AM
I can't wait to see the defense for Akerson this time...

93DevilleUSMC
06-12-11, 06:39 AM
Just when GM FINALLY GETS IT"S PRODUCTS UP TO PAR WITH THE COMPETITION, it gets saddled with a CEO who is somehow the worst combination of Roger Smith and Al Gore. What's next, four-cylinder Cadillacs??

Damn it......

johnny kannapo
06-12-11, 06:52 AM
There is no possible way they will pass a $1 a gal gas tax. It just isn't happening.

Stingroo
06-12-11, 08:32 AM
Erm... news: they basically already have. Now they might not pass an ADDITIONAL $1 per gallon, because the public would straight up riot.

Koooop
06-12-11, 10:23 AM
I can't wait to see the defense for Akerson this time...

This fellow seems to be about as popular as Obama.

Keith Olbermann is looking for work, maybe Akerson can hire him as his personal Ombudsman.

C&C
06-12-11, 10:47 AM
While I certainly do not support a dollar a gallon increase, I would be open to a doubling of the current gas tax (I believe the federal tax is currently 18.x cents) and would probably be open to a quarter per gallon increase, IF, the proceeds were earmarked (and untouchable by Congress) for road infrastructure and improvement and maintenance of roads/bridges etc.

Stingroo
06-12-11, 01:45 PM
So, in other words, you'll never be in favor of a gas tax increase either. :lol:

Koooop
06-12-11, 04:17 PM
While I certainly do not support a dollar a gallon increase, I would be open to a doubling of the current gas tax (I believe the federal tax is currently 18.x cents) and would probably be open to a quarter per gallon increase, IF, the proceeds were earmarked (and untouchable by Congress) for road infrastructure and improvement and maintenance of roads/bridges etc.

There's an idea, lets give Congress more earmarked funds for infrastructure projects... That worked out well recently...

ga_etc
06-12-11, 04:25 PM
Earmarked funds: Congressional term for "F.U., the money is in our pocket now and we'll do with it whatever we please."

I~LUV~Caddys8792
06-12-11, 08:07 PM
All the more reason for the public to buy the Volt. It's sales have been turd-like to say the least, far under projections. At this rate, they'll never make money on them. Are you guys seeing the Volts in your areas yet? The first ones came into dealers in MN back in March, and I've yet to see ANY on the roads. Guess the $40,000 econocar isn't the BRIGHTEST idea?

Stingroo
06-12-11, 08:56 PM
Volt is an excellent idea, but the technology is still too expensive to make it feasible for the masses. I've seen two different ones on the road so far.

Playdrv4me
06-13-11, 04:55 AM
Have not seen a single one... And I recently returned from that journey all over the West coast where you'd almost expect them to be.

C&C
06-13-11, 05:52 AM
There's an idea, lets give Congress more earmarked funds for infrastructure projects... That worked out well recently...
What part of: (and untouchable by Congress) for road infrastructure and improvement and maintenance of roads/bridges etc.
didn't you read. Our road transportation is in a horrible mess; I believe if it needs to be paid for it should come from us users.

Jesda
06-13-11, 02:47 PM
Earmarks are a mess. The federal gas tax should be tied to inflation to keep up with rising construction costs.

CadillacCastle
06-13-11, 04:30 PM
I lost 3 MPG because of ethanol so they should reduce the cost of gas to make up for my loss. A good friend of mine is one of the best mechanics at the Cadillac dealer near me and he told me that ethanol is messing up new and old cars not just the old ones. Raising the cost of gas will make people buy cars with better mileage that are more reliable and last longer but not US made cars. They will be from Japan. Remember cash for clunkers when most buyers bought cars from Japan. Remember when we got 250.00 to help businesses and most people got new TVs from Japan. The hey days of America will never come again. The Obama one world economy will put us on bicycles someday. The world has gone to S**T

RippyPartsDept
06-13-11, 04:52 PM
http://images.icanhascheezburger.com/completestore/2008/9/23/128666567337299862.jpg

orconn
06-13-11, 05:15 PM
I lost 3 MPG because of ethanol so they should reduce the cost of gas to make up for my loss. A good friend of mine is one of the best mechanics at the Cadillac dealer near me and he told me that ethanol is messing up new and old cars not just the old ones. Raising the cost of gas will make people buy cars with better mileage that are more reliable and last longer but not US made cars. They will be from Japan. Remember cash for clunkers when most buyers bought cars from Japan. Remember when we got 250.00 to help businesses and most people got new TVs from Japan. The hey days of America will never come again. The Obama one world economy will put us on bicycles someday. The world has gone to S**T

The "Obama World Economy" where the hell did you get that idea. The free trade movement and world economy has been a Republican mainstay since the 1970's. If you don't like it don't vote Republican cause with them there's more to come! Even though I favor Republican administrations, I have to interject some truth into the political fantasy land we live in.

RippyPartsDept
06-13-11, 05:32 PM
:word:

johnny kannapo
06-13-11, 07:01 PM
You don't hear about how much coal will have be burned to supply energy for electric cars if they become 1% of the cars on our roads.
Government Motors has sold less than 2500 Chevy Volts and half of them are sold to Government agencies.

The other half are sold to other dealers to absorb all the $7500 buyer incentives rendering incentives useless to the public if a driver was dumb enough to buy one.

The corn farmer entitlement is paying big at 3 times the bushel price up from 2007.
CORN IN THE TANK IS WHAT NEEDS TO STOP!

Playdrv4me
06-13-11, 07:12 PM
You don't here about how much coal will have be burned to supply energy for electric cars if they become 1% of the cars on our roads.
Government Motors has sold less than 2500 Chevy Volts and half of them are sold to Government agencies.

The other half are sold to other dealers to absorb all the $7500 buyer incentives rendering incentives useless to the public if a driver was dumb enough to buy one.

The corn farmer entitlement is paying big at 3 times the bushel price up from 2007.
CORN IN THE TANK IS WHAT NEEDS TO STOP!

GM and Ford dealers on the balance (there are good ones) always seem to resort to sneaky shit at the first opportunity... When I heard that dealers were shuffling Volts back into inventory as used vehicles to absorb the incentives I thought to myself... "Called it"... I knew one way or another theyd twist that incentive around.

Sad, because whatever little bit of good the Volt set out to achieve, will be completely destroyed by this behavior.

billc83
06-13-11, 11:06 PM
I haven't seen a single Volt on the road. I have however, seen a couple Nissan Leafs (Leaves?).

Aron9000
06-14-11, 01:02 AM
^ Same here. Although I do live in Nissanville, and we did have a press confrence at my hotel where all the celebrities(mostly 20 something celebutantes and the artists assistants) got to drive one. That was the first time I saw a Leaf.

The main reason you don't see any Volts around is because you can't buy one in most states yet. I went to Chevy's website and looked for a Volt at my local dealer. Nobody within 150 miles of Nashville has one in stock.
http://blog.caranddriver.com/chevy-volt-to-be-available-nationwide-in-2011-responding-to-high-demand/

CadillacCastle
06-14-11, 02:45 AM
The "Obama World Economy" where the hell did you get that idea. The free trade movement and world economy has been a Republican mainstay since the 1970's. If you don't like it don't vote Republican cause with them there's more to come! Even though I favor Republican administrations, I have to interject some truth into the political fantasy land we live in. I got that from a live speech with Obama and the prime minister in England. Thats who talked about a one world economy. "Obama".

Jesda
06-14-11, 03:25 AM
All politicians share credit for the fleecing of America.

RippyPartsDept
06-14-11, 08:41 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVcFHvuzN1g

i don't necessarily agree with the conclusions the authors of these videos are coming to but it's clear that this 'one world' stuff isn't Obama's agenda ... it's been around since at least GHW Bush's presidency

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7a9Syi12RJo

Stingroo
06-14-11, 08:50 AM
How has this not been moved to Current Issues yet?

johnny kannapo
06-14-11, 03:44 PM
The economic common sense is absent.

Are you "green" -or- are you "stupid green"?

Jesda
06-14-11, 03:49 PM
I'm brown.

johnny kannapo
06-14-11, 04:03 PM
GM only lost a meer $2,000,000,000.00 on the EV1.
http://i.treehugger.com/files/th_images/crushed-ev1-01.jpg

Koooop
06-14-11, 07:21 PM
I'm brown.

We have a saying in California:

If it's brown, flush it down.

In honor of our fearless leader, Jerry Brown.