: 1991 Brougham changed plugs but steering now harder--ideas?

1991Brougham
06-10-11, 12:56 PM
I changed the sparkplugs on my '91 5.0L Brougham--Not an easy task!--and I took her for a test spin. Runs smoothly, but steering requires more effort and it won't return mostly to center like before.

Could find no sign of obstructions anywhere.

Could I have "bumped something?"

I jacked her up with a small butterfly jack when I changed the plugs, but was gentle on the lifting and dropping.

Any ideas on what I can look for? PS fluid is up.

Thanks guys!

Keith

outsider
06-10-11, 01:05 PM
not sure if the 91 has many grease fittings but maybe try lubing up anything that can be lubed?

sven914
06-10-11, 05:05 PM
Sometimes when you jack up a car, especial on a weird angle (like one side at a time), it can disrupt the orientation of the suspension and steering components. It can make the ride feel stiff or the steering to be a little inexact. Usually after a few days and a few miles, the suspension will correct itself. If it doesn't, try lubricating everything (as outsider suggested), and if that doesn't work, take the car to a reputable garage and have them check the alignment; most shop will check it for free.

1991Brougham
06-10-11, 05:23 PM
Thanks for the ideas guys. I'll lube the zerk points and drive her around and see if she doesn't loosen up. I was having a tough time trying to make the connection between plug renewal and steering stiffness.