: How has the speed been around here lately?

Lord Cadillac
06-10-11, 11:04 AM
Has page loading been okay? I'm trying something different with the server and, for me, it's running very nicely almost all the time. And keep in mind that I see EVERY ad, I browse the forum as a non-supporter...

Submariner409
06-10-11, 02:12 PM
For the last 3 days, since you began doing the HTTP reset, things have been great........ not sure what you did at 1300, but the new Post Reply boxes are different, and there's a Save feature also.

Once in a while....."waiting for www.cadilacforums.com", but infrequently now.

Thanks for the long bird-dogging hours.

Night Wolf
06-10-11, 02:14 PM
It's been a while since I've been here. Since being back, the site has an overall clunky and very busy feel to it, speed is OK but things are just difficult to navigate around - too much being crammed in, and it is even worse when trying to browse on my phone (Nokia E71). Another (big) thing that is difficult is the search function, after a search - the threads that come up all kind of run together with the title, name of poster and room it was in all blending. It makes it very hard to try and browse searched topics, plus I didn't see where I could select which single, or group of individual sub forums to search. It also seems like it is moving to more of a "social network" instead of an automotive forum, there's a reason why I dumped MySpace and hardly use Facebook anymore...

OffThaHorseCEO
06-10-11, 02:30 PM
its the e71.

the forum has been workin great for me on all devices. From my work desktop pc its the fastest, from my BB Playbook its still very fast
the blackberry torch is a bit of a different story speed wise but thats to be expected from a mobile device even with a mobile browser. all the elements still load properly and the site functions well enough even from the torch

slk230mb
06-10-11, 03:12 PM
It's been better, but I feel like it's been faster in the past.

What was up with the page not displaying and database errors about a 1.5 hours ago?

Night Wolf
06-10-11, 03:15 PM
I use Opera instead of the Nokia browser, but it is the same on either of them. Other automotive message boards I browse just fine - some even have a mobile version which is even better.

Atleast for me - the phone works pretty much the same way as the computer, just slower and with a smaller screen. The things mentioned above are from the computer (clunky, difficult search engine, lot of stuff crammed in etc..)

Night Wolf
06-10-11, 03:30 PM
The new way to add IMG to replies is a huge step back. The box that pops up takes time to load, then select from URL, then uncheck retrive, then click add etc...

OffThaHorseCEO
06-10-11, 03:36 PM
you could always copy the link which i assume you have already, paste it
then put in the image tags yourself, thats the way ive always done it. much quicker easier

RippyPartsDept
06-10-11, 04:18 PM
i agree w/ Night Wolf about the way to add IMG tags ... used to be faster... now it would be about the same amount of time to add the tags by hand

what i would really like to know is what the deal is with the checkbox to "reference locally"

Submariner409
06-10-11, 04:39 PM
It's been better, but I feel like it's been faster in the past.

What was up with the page not displaying and database errors about a 1.5 hours ago?

At exactly 1300 EDT a message came up that the site would be down for a while due to a software "upgrade".

RippyPartsDept
06-10-11, 04:47 PM
slk must have hit the site just as the site was coming back up or something cuz the pages i got after it went down initially mentioned the software upgrade and didn't look like error pages at all

slk230mb
06-10-11, 05:08 PM
At exactly 1300 EDT a message came up that the site would be down for a while due to a software "upgrade".

I definitely missed that. I wasn't on the site today until around then, when I tried and got the message.

slk must have hit the site just as the site was coming back up or something cuz the pages i got after it went down initially mentioned the software upgrade and didn't look like error pages at all

The site was definitely down. Generic http error. Wasn't anything related to the boards software.

RippyPartsDept
06-10-11, 05:12 PM
yeah when it went down initially the site looked normal except nothing would display
kind of like the way it looks when the server is overloaded and you get the message to come back later

everything seems fine now...
only time will tell but so far it looks good to me

Night Wolf
06-10-11, 08:58 PM
i agree w/ Night Wolf about the way to add IMG tags ... used to be faster... now it would be about the same amount of time to add the tags by hand

what i would really like to know is what the deal is with the checkbox to "reference locally"

I'm not positive, but it seems like it may download the image from whatever site it is on and saves it to CO servers? Perhaps if the picture was then taken down it would remain posted? I dunno. That would also mean anyones own pictures would stay posted even if they removed them from their photobucket etc... and you also give up ownership of it as it becomes property of the site - just as everything else posted is (read the TOS). I could be mistaken though.

thebigjimsho
06-12-11, 01:43 AM
This site was awful for me from 5:30-9:00 tonight. I actually fell asleep waiting for a page to load and woke up an hour later. It was still loading. Before that I surfed the shoforum just fine and tried it after. Still fine. Every other site loaded quickly, just not here...

C&C
06-12-11, 05:42 AM
This is the slowest site I frequent (by a pretty far margin). Loading delays (I'm assuming ads) are slow and sometimes but rarely lock up my page (requiring refresh sometimes). As I am not a supporter, don't consider this complaining; just telling you how this site performs on my computer.

Lord Cadillac
06-12-11, 08:54 AM
There are three members browsing the SHO forum right now. I suspect that site will always be faster than this one. At this point what I think is causing slow page loads (like the one described) are slowdowns or holdups of one type or another at the ad networks. All it takes is one of these networks having a server issue or trouble delivering an ad - and we're here waiting for that before we can move forward. Either that or our server is doing a backup. Since our database is so large, it's very server intensive.

Unless I'm mistaken, the forums have been speedy as of late - most of the time.

Submariner409
06-12-11, 09:03 AM
Sal, By and large, over the past few days since you did the http restart and software upgrade, the site has been good. Once in a while I get the "waiting for www.cadillacforums.com" message, but that's much less now. Thanks for the work and time. Jim

Lord Cadillac
06-12-11, 10:27 AM
Sal, By and large, over the past few days since you did the http restart and software upgrade, the site has been good. Once in a while I get the "waiting for www.cadillacforums.com" message, but that's much less now. Thanks for the work and time. Jim

Thank you. It's good to know things have improved.

Stingroo
06-12-11, 10:39 AM
I got a few database errors while posting here in the lounge yesterday, but otherwise I don't really notice a difference.

:hide:

Ranger
06-12-11, 10:49 AM
No complaints here.