: SuperCharger Hooooooooooooot!

BeagleBrains
06-10-11, 12:01 PM
Has anyone experienced any progessively loud engine bay howling?
Yes, I have had a progression of Super Charger Howling noises. :hmm:
Initially, it startedd when driving a very low speed. It appeared to happen as I positioned myself for backing into a parking lot slot. As I made a tight U-Turn to back in, a very slight howling/Hoooooooooot noise occurred while traversing the turn. Once aligned for backing straight into the parking slot, the Hoooooot abated. Later on I heard this Hooooot at highway speeds while driving at around 70 mph and with slight accelerations.
It seemed to evolve so that the Hoot got louder and persisted at somewhat higher speeds, such as when accelerating to pass another vehicle. It became most dramatic and deafeningly loud a few days ago.
Driving alone, I found myself in a peculiar gaggle of cars all driving just below the speed limit, about ten cars dispersed in both lanes. Their intervals effectively blocked both lanes such that I could not achieve the legal 70 MPH. As the cars intermingled, an opening occurred. I accelerated to about 75 MPH to bypass these seeming Highway Vigilantes. A couple of the leaders speeded up to challenge my passing the group.
I accelerated to 75 + MPH, the Howling came on and got exceedingly loud within the cabin of the vehicle, nearly defeaning! Once ahead of the group, this gaggle of cars slowed back to below 70 MPH. I then established myself in the right lane and slowed. At <70 MPH the Hoooooooooooot disappeared. I accelerated again and experienced the Hoot noise, seeming to come from the engine bay and up through the center of the dash. I slowed and it faded away again.
I went to the Cadilac Dealer. The Service Writer graciously arranged for an experienced mechanic to ride with me in order to duplicate and analyze this howling. Once on the Interstate, I accelerated the CTS V to a little higher speed, progressing cautiously to bring on this peculiar noise.
Well, it appears that this condition presents itself in a progression of Highway speeds. We experienced the loud overwhelming Hooooooooot continuously as the car accelerated.
The mechanic directed me to take the foot pressure off from the gas peddlal. As the car coasted at speed, the Hooooooot noise continued. I applied the gas to maintain the current speed. "Hooooooting continued very loud. I then pursposefully slowed the car; the Hooooooooot abated.
We both agreed that It appeared to be a vacuum-induced leak causing this 'Hoooooooooot" to occur at speed.
And now! Investigation of the apparent vacuum leak begins with involvement of a Factory Rep.

EVIL_C5
06-10-11, 12:50 PM
probably going to ask if the car was modified, then denial will ensue.....

JOEYCTS-V
06-10-11, 01:04 PM
You don't have this installed do you?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nnzw_i4YmKk

PGA2B
06-10-11, 04:30 PM
That Video JUST WON'T DIE!!!!!

It's like a bad penny............ It just keeps turning up!

My favorite part is when he almost hits the parked car as he speeds off like an idiot.

JOEYCTS-V
06-10-11, 04:36 PM
Lmao. I just had to do it. I like the interview the best. I've had that wooooot wooooot in my head all day today.

BeagleBrains
06-10-11, 08:48 PM
Lexani 20" Wheels with Continentals DWS Tires is the only modification. No tire noise; no wheel click.
Delivered in August 2010, the CTS V Coupe has 4950 miles.

dvandentop
06-10-11, 11:34 PM
LOL @ old school whistle tips :D love seeing that again

BeagleBrains
06-11-11, 10:57 AM
So!!! What is the purpose of posting in this Forum?

I am sure some smart-ass answer is about to ensue.
Expectations need not be set very high given this standard.

550HP STSV
06-11-11, 12:49 PM
the purpose is to get a bunch of members to post videos of old internet memes at you.

WWW.KNOWYOURMEME.COM !!!!

BeagleBrains
06-12-11, 12:37 PM
the purpose is to get a bunch of members to post videos of old internet memes at you.

WWW.KNOWYOURMEME.COM (http://WWW.KNOWYOURMEME.COM) !!!!
In that case, I am glad to have been of service. :hide:

wait4me
06-12-11, 05:08 PM
Well one time, i hit a red bird, and a humming bird in the hummer, Maybe you hit an owl? And you are scaring the piss out of him when you floor it! HOOOOT HOOOOOOOOT

qictrk
06-12-11, 05:51 PM
It's apparent no one has this noise. I would look in and around the engine for something loose or some paper or plastic caught under the front of the car. Wind hits it and makes noise. Also, try to get someone to help you. Pop the
hood and have them stand by the engine bay and you give the car a few quick revs to engage the SC. Hopefully they can pinpoint it. Cecil..........

jspridge
06-20-11, 03:58 PM
I have my V Coupe in service now for a loud noise under the hood. Mine started the same way that you've described here, and now it's evident even at idle, even in neutral. I'd describe it as what the car might sound like if a small velociraptor beame lodged under the hood and really, really wanted to get out. More news as soon as I have some...

BeagleBrains
06-21-11, 08:27 PM
I have my V Coupe in service now for a loud noise under the hood. Mine started the same way that you've described here, and now it's evident even at idle, even in neutral. I'd describe it as what the car might sound like if a small velociraptor beame lodged under the hood and really, really wanted to get out. More news as soon as I have some...
I am anxious to hear the details of the solution. Hopefully it will be effective in answers to my dilemna.
Thanks.

jspridge
06-22-11, 09:28 AM
The dealer finally verified the offending noise as coming directly from the supercharger. It is being replaced under warranty today.

BeagleBrains
06-23-11, 10:56 AM
The dealer finally verified the offending noise as coming directly from the supercharger. It is being replaced under warranty today.
I forwarded your information to my Cadillac Service Writer and mechanic.
This is a great help.:bouncy:

wait4me
06-23-11, 11:41 AM
HMM so another bad front snout bearing bad??? This is 4.

mannyz
08-23-11, 03:36 AM
So I think im experiencing the same problem. Its getting worse and started earlier this week. Jesse, I sent you an email with the video. I will upload to youtube later.

King335i
08-23-11, 04:50 AM
My car has begun to make a sort of whistling noise when I hit the throttle, even very lightly, but it goes away when the throttle is not being pressed. Does this sound similar to what you're experiencing?

mannyz
08-23-11, 05:46 AM
Actually mine goes away when the throttle is pressed. Very strong noise at idle.

mannyz
08-23-11, 06:02 AM
http://youtu.be/6Fu6eITTxM0

Here, I recorded the sound.

Ross L
08-23-11, 08:33 AM
Manny, you may have already read it but my blower was "whining" pretty loud at idle and slightly off idle. I pulled the snout and the solid isolator had failed to seat on the snout side because is was soooo tight. So, I think it was thrust loading the bearings. And FYI, the snout bearing are unobtainable( at least by me). Good luck!

Vcoupe11
08-23-11, 10:48 AM
Stephen,
I wish you well on the dealer fix for this. I have not experienced the issue yet however my V coupe was manufactured not long after yours so perhaps this may be in my future as well.

I will monitor your progress on this.

Gary

Luna.
08-23-11, 04:29 PM
That Video JUST WON'T DIE!!!!!

It's like a bad penny............ It just keeps turning up!

My favorite part is when he almost hits the parked car as he speeds off like an idiot.

:histeric: And honorable mention should go to him blowing the stop sign as well.

Lmao. I just had to do it. I like the interview the best. I've had that wooooot wooooot in my head all day today.

Thanks 'ya butthead...now I can't get it out of my head! :)

Why on why did I click on that again?!?!?

I can't stop laughing at that stupid interview...it's so awesome....

JOEYCTS-V
08-23-11, 09:53 PM
http://www.millerarts.com/interactive/BubbRubb/BubbRubbSoundBoard.html
(http://www.millerarts.com/interactive/BubbRubb/BubbRubbSoundBoard.html)