Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Pretty sure I have a fuel leak somewhere under the hood

9K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  Robertsong 
#1 ·
Everytime when I do a hard acceleration I get a whiff of the gasoline smell, sometime it happens when I'm on the on/off ramp while going typical speed too. The smell is much more apparent in warm weather and it seems to be tied with my loss of power that I have a post about. I don't smell the gas in winter when it's snowing out.

So I think gas is leaking out somewhere but it is worse now in the warm weather. Got a free fluid leak checkup coupon at a performance shop so I'm gonna take advantage of that. This and I still need to replace my AC programmer so I get ac out of the correct vent, 95 degrees is killing me.

I so want to just say screw it and go buy a 97~99 Concours but I have no money...

#5 ·
Oops, the model profile was moved while I was gone for few days. It used to be under your name.

You have the nylon fuel rail, but the '98 was not included in the recall. It was '95 - '97. Look closely at each connection between injectors for a leak. Also check the FPR.

#6 ·
And also look at the pipe where it goes under the throttle body.....it's hidden pretty well and can leak underneath and go undetected (except the smell.....). Not sure why the recall did not apply to the 98's....the nylon rails are CRAP, and a severe fire hazard IMO. GMPartsdirect.com sales a new METAL rail for about $130.....and it's about an hour worth of work if you are taking your time to replace it.

I'm sure GM would try to tell you that the 98 rails are just fine....if that was the case, then the fix for the bad nylon rail in the 1997 would have been a new nylon rail....not the metal one!

#8 ·
My biggest complaint about Cadillac is that I don't think they "step up" enough.....example: my 04 CTS started leaking out the rear diff....I immediately started doing some research, and found that the 05 and 06's had a recall for the same problem....but not the 04s....after even more checking, I found out that my rear diff seal had already been replaced once......in 06 (I bought it in 07).....I'm willing to bet Cadi used one of the "bad" seals that were subject to the recall to "fix" my car.....but since it was more than 12k miles ago, they refuse to fix it.....

There is a GREAT deal of goodwill that is gained when they step up.....and a lot is lost when they don't

#9 ·
So the stainless steel fuel rail from a 97 Deville/Seville shouild fit my car too right? Like these ones?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1996...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NOS-...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

btw my FPR is fine, no leaks. I think the nylon fuel rail looks friggin stupid and the stainless steel one looks like it'll make the fuel flow better.

#10 ·
Thanks for making me feel stupid for paying a lot more!!!!

It doesn't look like any of those 3 are the "right" version. Your fuel lines go straight out at the connection to the fuel lines....ie, they don't take that 90 degree bend. My SS rail had the straight connections, just like yours. But the rest of the rail is right and should work.

Go to gmpartsdirect and get the part number from there....THEN go to ebay.

#14 ·
So the mechanic told me that a valve at the driver's side(forgot what the valve is called)next to an injector is leaking and I can see it's wet when he showed me, it's the valve that looks like a tire stem and used for testing pressure/bleed out the fuel. He also said my fuel tank filler neck is rusted and it is wet when he touched it. He didn't get to check my injectors because ya know, it is a free checkup.

#15 ·
The valve on the fuel rail end is the Schrader valve - test port. The guts screw out just like a tire valve. Junkyard or screw the black cap on tight - you might find a same-sized brass cap at an air conditioning dealer.

Fuel filler neck is made of Unobtainium - talk to Chris up in Rippy Cadillac Parts - ^^^ Vendors.

#16 ·
well I have a 94 concours, and I too had a gas leak. They had to replace the gas line from the tank to the engine. Oouch. It was an expensive fix, but the line had a cut in it and it stank to high heaven. It doesn't take much to buy a concours! Unfortunately mine will be for sale shortly. I have the leak problem, thank god not the HG bolt issue! A cheap drip pan, and a watchful eye on the oil level, and I have been driving it this way for about 3 years.. Over 20,000 miles and not another problem. She is a beaut! I will miss driving it. So smooth....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.