: Is this true? FL to require drug testing for goverment assistance recipients

OffThaHorseCEO
06-09-11, 02:16 PM
Im all for that law if its true. Unfortunately, i dont feel it will be effective at all. Someone will just get welfare using someone elses info and keep doing their drugs and leaching off of society.

Now, this is not to say anyone who is on government assistance is leaching off of society, however, if you can buy beer and crack, you can buy milk and diapers for your baby instead

So, is this true? If so NC needs to follow suit

Stingroo
06-09-11, 02:32 PM
I've seen people post about it on Facebook, but I don't really know. Intriguing if so.

The Tony Show
06-09-11, 04:32 PM
Yes, it is. Hopefully it takes tens of thousands of people off the welfare rolls who could get by without it if they'd just kick the drug habit.

http://articles.cnn.com/2011-06-05/politics/florida.welfare.drug.testing_1_drug-testing-tanf-welfare-recipients?_s=PM:POLITICS

The ACLU says it's stereotyping- big surprise.

OffThaHorseCEO
06-09-11, 04:48 PM
thats so stupid. You would think hed be all for it! if the stereotype is that all welfare recipients are drug users, and he disagrees with the stereotype, then the new measures would solidify his case.

NOBODY should be against this, it doesnt make sense for anyone to be against it. Its not like youre required to be tested to maintain access to your own bank account. If that was the case i could see getting mad. No, youre being asked to submit to testing if you want something for nothing.

ThumperPup
06-09-11, 10:02 PM
not sure if its true
but i think it should be if you are on any drugs that have not been Prescribed by a Dr license in FL
then i think that is abuse of drugs and why should the Government Help you so you can take what ever free money you get or what ever money you don't have to spend on insruance real meds food and or housing and buy drugs
?
nope i think that if this is real in FL then more power for that state on doing this good job

CadillacCastle
06-09-11, 11:47 PM
why do people that get food stamps have dogs and other pets? A family here has 4 dogs they have money to feed but get 600.00 in food stamps. If they want drug testing start at the top, the president on down to the police.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
06-09-11, 11:55 PM
Drug testing FTW.

77CDV
06-11-11, 03:28 AM
I'm all for it. Yet another thing CA will never do. Might offend Gloria Alred. No wonder we're broke.

austin26372
06-11-11, 07:32 PM
I've been seeing this all over FB. I think if you have bi monthly reviews or something of the like, it could be an effective means of dwindling down to the folk that I can respect receiving the benefits.

Stingroo
06-11-11, 07:34 PM
why do people that get food stamps have dogs and other pets? A family here has 4 dogs they have money to feed but get 600.00 in food stamps. If they want drug testing start at the top, the president on down to the police.

You do know that people weren't born on food stamps, yes? Maybe they had the dogs beforehand.

Chances are though, you'll just throw out an uninformed judgement and just look down on them anyway, so I don't really know why I'm bothering with this post.

Sevillian273
06-11-11, 07:42 PM
All welfare recipients shall be tested for dogs. :hammer:

austin26372
06-11-11, 07:48 PM
That's understandable, but to be fair, desperate times call for desperate measures!

I've been there, done that. My mother (single, working FT, OT to support me & a dog) couldn't afford to feed me and the dog; we had to choose. Find a friend or somebody that might look after them.

Then again, there are plenty of organizations that can assist in a situation like that. Shelters can be more than willing to feed a dog rather than taking one in.

Stingroo
06-11-11, 07:56 PM
Not to nitpick, but coming from someone in the pet food industry - most shelters really can't afford that. Most (if not all) of the food they receive is donated from dog food companies. There's a reason they feed crap like Science Diet at shelters.

My point was, people are always looking to pass judgement down on others from the outside, and that pisses me off.

Sevillian273
06-11-11, 07:57 PM
I guess some people view dogs as possessions. Like selling a car - Just find someone else who will take it, right? No big deal!

Everyone's mileage will vary but there's no way I'm going to tell that to my 9 year old lab. A being whos sole reason for existence is me and knows no other life outside of myself and these walls...

austin26372
06-11-11, 08:01 PM
Not to nitpick, but coming from someone in the pet food industry - most shelters really can't afford that. Most (if not all) of the food they receive is donated from dog food companies. There's a reason they feed crap like Science Diet at shelters.

My point was, people are always looking to pass judgement down on others from the outside, and that pisses me off.

I see. (I was basing off of my local places, but there is plenty of variation down the road) But I do understand where you're coming from.

I guess some people view dogs as possessions. Like selling a car - Just find someone else who will take it, right? No big deal!

Everyone's mileage will vary but there's no way I'm going to tell that to my 9 year old lab. A being whos sole reason for existence is me and knows no other life outside of myself and these walls...

Didn't say it had to happen, but is merely an option - A dog and food stamps is fine; budgeting is feasible with a situation like that. But 4 dogs is something one may have to review if he was genuinely in need.

Sevillian273
06-11-11, 11:25 PM
I agree, and sometimes it is better for the animal's quality of life. I just see alot of adult cats and dogs being given away on Craigslist because they become 'inconveniences' to the owners. Stupid things like 'He sheds too much" or "She got too big". Makes me sick.

As for the topic at hand, Im kind of on the fence. (What?! He's not for it 100%?! That means he's a druggie! Burn him at the stake!) But seriously, I think it kind of infringes on personal privacy. I believe a person should be free to choose what they put into their own body and must deal with the consequences on their own.

On the other hand of course state funds are being spent on drugs so why not set up a system like WIC or food stamps to limit purchasing power rather than pay for all this drug testing? And how much of this benefit money will be spent on 'drug cleansing' products by the users?

This seems like a cheap way for Scott to pander to the folks who want to see him cut govt spending. Its foolproof because those who oppose it are labeled as users and enablers.

CadillacCastle
06-19-11, 03:20 AM
I have known them since birth. They had 1 dog that got ran over and they went and got 4 more. I don't think working people should feed and clothe able people who don't work at all and on welfare food stamps. They have money for 3 cell phones 4 dogs, go on vacations every year but won't work. And yes I do look down on able bodied people who do not work and live off of welfare. There are always jobs, they just are not always close to home.
You do know that people weren't born on food stamps, yes? Maybe they had the dogs beforehand.

Chances are though, you'll just throw out an uninformed judgement and just look down on them anyway, so I don't really know why I'm bothering with this post.

CadillacCastle
06-19-11, 12:36 PM
At least they had money to fence their big yard (so the dogs don't get ran over again) and buy a big above ground swimming pool. It tough for them but I think they will make it.