: Something I heard about the a/c bolts

7.0,hellyeah
10-14-04, 10:00 PM
I heard in another thread that if you remove the a/c compressor assmebly on a 425 that it will cause a vacuum leak where the bolts go in. Is that really true. It seems absurd to me but with all of those vacuum lines I figure anything is possible. I removed my a/c and It doesn't seem like it has been a problem.

Dead Sled
10-14-04, 11:35 PM
it is possible that the mounting holes aren't blind (go all the way throu into the intake plenum or runners) but if they are you can just plug them with a short bolt or an allen head plug. the vaccum leak would come from the unfilled hole left be the mounting bolt

mastertech
10-15-04, 09:19 AM
The mounting holes are blind, and no vacuum leak will occur with removal of the ac compressor...you should be all set!

mastertech
10-15-04, 09:23 AM
In fact, let me know if you need any a/c components for your 425. I have an 80 Deville with a 425 from a '78, but I used the radial type compressor from my car and switched over the brackets. My engine broke a rod, so I'm parting it out. You can PM me, the air blows ice cold (until my motor DIED!). i'LL HOOK YOU UP CHEAP!

7.0,hellyeah
10-18-04, 07:55 PM
No thanks, I took it off not only because I wanted the extra power that comes along with taking off the a/c, but because my climate controlls dont even work. :halo:

abcdefg
10-25-04, 10:03 PM
removing a pulley from the belt line really doesnt give you much more hp. If a 1/10th hp 3800rpm electric motor can spin the pulley around on my A/C without loading down the motor too bad...

davesdeville
10-26-04, 12:46 AM
Sure saves some weight though.

caddydaddy
10-26-04, 08:18 AM
The mounting holes are blind, and no vacuum leak will occur with removal of the ac compressor...you should be all set!

That's not true! It might be different on the 368, but on the 425, at least one of the bolts goes into the intake plenum. I removed the A/C compressor from my 425 a few years ago, and it would stall going into gear. I quickly found out that there was a hole in the intake! I replaced the bolt, and the car ran fine.