: V to Vette

nynd
06-08-11, 05:58 PM
I was wondering if anyone has made this jump. From a V (09,10,11) to a Z06? Is there anything you miss besides the lack of 2 seats? I know some here have both so just trying to see if the Vette stays parked if you've got the V or if its the other way.

BigJoeD
06-08-11, 06:01 PM
Depends on what your looking for. If you want true sport car heritage the the Vette is the way to go. For me I like having 4 doors for the family and still have some spanking power LOL!!

Ronsv
06-08-11, 06:15 PM
I have both, a 2011 manual V and an 09 Z06. They are 2 totally different cars! The V (my 2nd one, just got rid of my 07) is a far smoother ride in all areas of noise, vibration and harshness. But, the Z06 really connects you with the road, with handling and power that is in another class from the V. If I had to have only one car, irrespective of the 2 extra seats, it would be the V, as the blend of performance and day to day livability is almost impossible to beat. However, the Z06 is an absolutely incredible thrill machine, simply screams under WOT.

zirotti
06-08-11, 06:41 PM
I feel like the two can't be compared as they are completely different animals.

FFBOS
06-08-11, 07:01 PM
I made the opposite switch from an 08 cammed z06 over to a modded 09 v. I loved the Z, but I also love the V, has some more room. The Recaros are the big +

kirbyCTSV
06-08-11, 07:05 PM
def different animals...but until they do something with that interior and seats...ill take my V.

zirotti
06-08-11, 07:08 PM
The fact that a $80k Vette has essentially the same steering wheel as a $15k Cruze frustrates the hell out of me.

samgar
06-08-11, 08:13 PM
I went the opposite direction and sold my 2010 6 speed Grand Sport Corvette and purchased a 2011 CTS V Coupe with a 6 speed manual. I loved the Corvette, however the ride was the killer. The CTS V rides better, handles better, has more storage and is not so much of a cop magnet. Ideally if I could have afforded it and had the extra garage I would have both as they are 2 different beasts! You can't go wrong buying either.

EVIL_C5
06-08-11, 08:36 PM
Went from a modded c5 vert to a v, and while the c5 was no c6z, it wasn't drastically different in speed or comfort. As was said, the 4 doors was more appealing for a family since my c5 saw 3000 miles in a year and my v has seen that in a few months because I love driving it so much.

I see c6 grand sports and z's and they are cool, but I think the only way I could go back to a vette is for a ZR1.

nynd
06-08-11, 09:46 PM
Good discussion - looks like even when faced with a V or Vette, most choose V for practicality and a daily driver which has more usage yet delivering the same power or somewhat similar output.

boycer11
06-09-11, 12:24 AM
Yes, great topic. I am hoping to buy one of the two in the near future. Can't afford both right now. Course I was thinking maybe I could buy to used ones instead of one new one and have both. :-) Course wife is leaning towards the ctsv because it is more practical.

dvandentop
06-09-11, 01:35 AM
to be honest if i could have the z06 mileage in a V package i would prob sell my vette since all i do with it anymore is road race it and it sits in the garage most the rest of the time.

i can say that now but once i get to road america this weekend it will be a different story driving the vette there i will be all smiles :D

6speeder
06-09-11, 08:42 AM
I have both, and it just depends on the day as to which I want to pull out of the garage. The Z is raw and in your face, everybody knows what it is. The V is smooth and refined, but still able to open a can of whoop azz when you want it to. I can't see one as a replacement for the other.

Tuna
06-09-11, 08:58 AM
I don't own a ZO6 but I do have two "regular" C6 Vettes along with my V Wagon. I want both capabilities (and my wife lets me have both). The V's performance is very similar to the 'regular' C6 except in handling. Both my Vettes have MagRide similar to the V and all three cars are very comfortable on the road. The V has better seats - love the Recaros.

I like the idea of having a 4-seat grocery getter that performs like a Vette in most areas. I'm glad I don't have to choose between the V and the Vette.

danman_s
06-09-11, 11:41 AM
I was wondering if anyone has made this jump. From a V (09,10,11) to a Z06? Is there anything you miss besides the lack of 2 seats? I know some here have both so just trying to see if the Vette stays parked if you've got the V or if its the other way.

I'm in the process of dumping my Z06 for a CTSV sedan or wagon and I don't even have a family to cart around! I just want something that is more luxurious for driving to work and back and for the occasional roadtrip.

The vette was a stupidly fun car to own but I just don't enjoy it for driving around the city anymore. It actually used to be my road racing car and driving it at 10/10th's on the track has ruined it for me. Driving it on the street will never match the track experience and I'll probably be arrested before I'm even out of 2nd gear.

My dad got a 2009 CTS-V and I love driving that car around. Once you stomp the gas and feel the torque at 2500 rpm, you completely forget about the vette. Infact, he had traded in his 2008 Z06 for the CTSV for pretty much the same reasons that I'm looking to get rid of mine.

MotownPimp
06-09-11, 02:13 PM
I never liked the seating position in Vettes; car is so low I always felt my legs were straight out in front of me.

When buying a sports car a few years back I opted for the 350Z...at least partially due to a more conventionl seating position; i.e. knees bent.

Also, I always found the ride in Vettes very rough. But have not driven one in years so that no longer may be the case.

Question: I would assume the Vette is much better through the twisties. True?

Tuna
06-09-11, 02:50 PM
I never liked the seating position in Vettes; car is so low I always felt my legs were straight out in front of me.

When buying a sports car a few years back I opted for the 350Z...at least partially due to a more conventionl seating position; i.e. knees bent.

Also, I always found the ride in Vettes very rough. But have not driven one in years so that no longer may be the case.

Question: I would assume the Vette is much better through the twisties. True?

Sports cars should be a very low seating and with the legs more stretched out. Vettes are "Sports Cars". The V isn't.

Try a C5 or C6 (other than a ZO6) and you're find the ride to be very nice. I recommend the MadRide Vettes.

The Vette is much better through the twisties. Lower center of gravity and 800 to 1000 pounds lighter than the V.

Richard MacGregor
06-09-11, 03:41 PM
Guys,

I'm just lurking here because I don't have a V but a CTS wagon and a 2007 Z06. You totally nailed the two cars, two entirely differing beasts. I have knowledge of a V via a coupe test drive. The V was quite a bit heavier and so 556 hp cannot make up for that performance disparity, but both quick cars.

I can see how it would be nice to have a quiet and quick car for a long road trip. I just got back from a Covetteforum.com Cruise In. Bowling Green, Ky. 1700 miles in a Vette is not like 1700 miles in a V that's for sure!

I had an opportunity to meet one of Corvette's engineers who is fully aware of the complaints: sub standard nav, low rent seats and the Cobalt steering wheel. For 2012, they have improved the seats, radio and the steering wheel is much more interesting......the nav system remains the same. (3 out of 4 ain't bad) You have all kinds of choices in wheels, black trims/chrome trims and colors in your stitching on the steering wheel, seats and console. This is the 100th anniversary for Chevrolet so expect to see all kinds of logs with Louis Chevrolet in goggles driving a race car. This is on the 2012 Grand Sport that we got to see. Understand, these are minor tweaks as the C7 generation is only a few years out now.

Like I have learned, each and every car is a compromise, no matter what you buy. I recon the trick is to own one of each!

Richard