: anyone with information on dropping a 1973 fleetwood (a couple inches)

steck
06-08-11, 05:04 PM
still want to lower this thing...

when i drive it, the hood looks like its aiming for the sky..i think just a two inch drop in the front would be stunning..

but my buddy / backyard mechanic wants absolutly nothing to do with it...says there's so much going on when you cut down the springs, that it will never drive right again...

there must be a general 'list' of things to do OR do i find a good 'hot rod' shop that wouldnt blink an eye at the job ??

CADforce69
06-08-11, 05:36 PM
You can use clamps to lower springs, like these: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Universal-Coil-Spring-Control-Clamps-Up-Down-Height-Adj-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQfitsZYearQ3a1973Q7cMakeQ3aCadil lacQQhashZitem43a7959125QQitemZ290574405925QQptZVi ntageQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Itīs a reversible solution and you can even regulate them until the car reach the desired height :)

sven914
06-08-11, 05:51 PM
Did you ever repair the rear suspension. You cannot make any adjustments to the vehicle's ride height until it is sitting at the factory correct height. Otherwise, you will royally screw it up.

85 FLEETWOOD COUPE
06-08-11, 08:56 PM
cut a turn or 2 off the springs

CADforce69
06-09-11, 07:36 AM
Does your car has an automatic rear level control? Frequently the pump which supplies air pressure to rear shocks to keep the correct rear level fails to work, so rear end drops.

Maybe your rear train is wrong while your front is keeping the factory height. Those long bodies had a higher factory level than the rest to avoid hitting the ground in steep ramps. That period ads show caddies very lowered from factory level as a marketing strategy, as they look really beautiful but itīs not by any means convenient. My 69 SDV has front and rear end very lowered (I think due to shocks age + air pressure pump failure) and it was a hell when going up steep ramps (even worse when gas tank is full or load in trunk). Now I replaced rear shocks and got control level by an air valve like the tire ones but front suspension is still low.

Anyway, if you like the low suspension look, Iīd try the clamps -they are cheap- and test how is driving. Youīll always be able to take them out it you are not happy. I think the ideal solution is having a level control like the lowriders to choose your height at every moment... But itīs more expensive.

steck
06-09-11, 10:35 PM
Did you ever repair the rear suspension. You cannot make any adjustments to the vehicle's ride height until it is sitting at the factory correct height. Otherwise, you will royally screw it up.

the rear is sitting perfect to my liking tho.

yeah i know it might be a little low, the compressor has been disconnected (likely over 20 yrs ago !) and the shocks might be a little tired.

i dont want to raise it to stock, just to lower it again.

and also dont want a jacked up rear, and lower front end..hate that look.

i might be best to find a car that sits just right (i hate the slammed look) and go from there...

thx tho for the responses guys..

steck
06-09-11, 10:40 PM
i was told by a mechanic that the load leveling feature doesnt have to be operating to get the correct (unloaded) ride height.

the shock and rest of the suspension does it part with or with out the load leveling compressor operational...

but sure, if you load up the trunk or the rear seating, the compressor will raise the rear